European Cup: Bellamy and Riise help Liverpool sink Barcelona

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The winners of the last two European Cups (Liverpool, 2005), Barcelona (2006) met last night.

Liverpool managed to beat the reigning European Champions at the Nou Camp

Last week, Bellamy attacked team-mate Riise with a golf club. Last night, it was them two who scored and Bellamy's goal celebration was a golf swing......

Swing when you're winning

PAR-FECT ... Bellamy celebrates his goal in style with a golf swing

By PHIL THOMAS
February 22, 2007

European Cup - The Last 16 (First Legs)

BARCELONA 1-2 LIVERPOOL
Deco 14...........................Bellamy 43
....................................Riise 74

CRAIG BELLAMY got a goal in one and teed up No 2 to put Liverpool in Champions League dreamland.

Bellamy, dubbed the Nutter with the Putter after attacking John Arne Riise with a golf club last week, got the equaliser to rock the holders.

Then he set up the winner for Riise to put the Kop in sight of the quarter-finals.

Bellamy said: “I am still gobsmacked. Just coming to the Nou Camp was unreal.

“But there has been no problem in the squad, we’ve trained well all week. We all know how strict the gaffer is and if there was a big problem I wouldn’t even be here.

“It’s my boy’s 10th birthday today so it is even more special.”

Riise reckoned it was written in the stars that both he and Bellamy would prove to be the Euro heroes.

He said: “It was destiny for both of us I think. Craig and myself have had a difficult build-up but we’ve put it behind us

"The team is happy and we are going to enjoy this. We’ve put things behind us very early, worked hard for the team and we will move forward.

“I don’t think I’ve ever scored a goal like that before. Looking back I could have taken a touch but when I got the ball from Bellamy I just thought ‘smash it’.

“He’s had a difficult time as well and I could see it meant a lot to him so I’m happy for him he scored.

The whole team is, so all in all we did well.”

Boss Rafa Benitez admitted: “I am really pleased with the team winning here and Craig and John scoring the goals.

“Maybe that was a coincidence but I am delighted with them both.

PUTT IT THERE ... Riise hugs Bellamy

“But I didn’t see Craig’s celebration because I thought the goalkeeper was going to catch it.”

But Benitez warned: “We know the quality of Barcelona so the job is not done yet. Obviously we have a good chance but we have to be careful.”

Barca boss Frank Rijkaard said: “We must always be optimistic. But we’re realistic as well and know it will be hard now.”

Liverpool’s former boss Gerard Houllier was also celebrating as his Lyon side scraped a 0-0 draw against Roma in the Italian capital.

European Cup (Last 16, 1st leg) results

Barcelona 1-2 Liverpool
Celtic 0-0 AC Milan
Inter Milan 2-2 Valencia
Lille 0-1 Manchester United
Porto 1-1 Chelsea
PSV Eindhoven 1-0 Arsenal
Real Madrid 3-2 Bayern Munich
Roma 0-0 Lyon

2nd Legs to be played on 6th and 7th March.
The aggregate winners go through to the Quarter Finals

thesun.co.uk

Last edited: