Fav Sports

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
Depends what you define as a sport, or how in fact it's used......

I'm a 3rd brown sash in Hung Leng Kuen Kung Fu (which is a mixture of Monkey, Snake, Eagle, Crane, Dragon, Leopard, Tiger and Wing Chung systems...as well as Tai Chi Chuan) that takes up a fair bit of my time and I've been doing it for 4 years off and on.

Other than that, I'm a HUGE Football (soccer) fan (playing and watching)...I also play criket and am partial to a bit of badmington.....I also like to run (but havent much lately).....

Nightmare

Electoral Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ontario
Well my fav sport is Basketball and I really enjoy watching NBA. I like playng football, baseball, soccer, badminton, tennis, and volleyball. I'm really active, but sad but true I'm kinda fat! LOL
Basketball is the only sport I watch.

Nightmare

Electoral Member
Jan 28, 2007
Ontario
O by the way, does anyone wanna explain the game of cricket, lacrosse, rugby?
Is rugby somewhat like football (not soccer)?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
O by the way, does anyone wanna explain the game of cricket, lacrosse, rugby?
Is rugby somewhat like football (not soccer)?

In the dark old days of Britain, there were many (and I do mean many, types of football), the oldest dates back to a village up north some where, where the uptown half of the population would take on the downside and they'd chase each other with a ball using any part of their body.

This was refined into just using your feet (excluding the goal keeper) and was thus called "football" in private and state schools.....then one day, legend has it, a boy, at Harrow prep school decided to pick the ball up and run with it, not using his feet to kick at all.....and this became Rugby.

Football bacame pretty organised at this time and associations, regional and national were set up....public schools didnt like this and often mocked it by calling it "SOCcer", kind of an insulting play on aSOCiation football. But efectively these two codes were spilt in the UK.

Rugby is very similar to American football or Grid Iron, players have often transferred over....but Rugby is play without helmets or any other saftey guard and can get very violent. Criket?....well, think of Baseball on the ground with just 2 stumps and lasting for days on end....Laccrosse?...ask a Canadian.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't play as many sports as I used to. I played Hockey, Baseball, Soccer, Basketball and Tennis. Now I play road hockey, tennis in the summer, as well as rock climbing and sea surf kayaking. My favorite sports to watch are hockey, tennis and football. I used to enjoy soccer but now I can't stand the dives. If we had done that in high school, our coach would have flipped out.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Rugby is very similar to American football or Grid Iron, players have often transferred over....but Rugby is play without helmets or any other saftey guard and can get very violent.
Hah! There are waaaaay more differences between rugby and foolball than there are similarities.

Similarities:
the basic shape of the ball,
the "touch"(rugby) and "touchdown"(foolball). [Um, in rugby one actually has to touch the ball down on the ground, whereas in foolball one only has to cross the touch line.] Go figger,
the footgear,
and the boot over the bar.

Differences:
the specific shape of the ball,
no padding in rugby (except for the nutcup and some players wear ear protectors and teethguards),
rules are different,
scoring is different,
rugby players don't stop every few seconds to figure out what they're going to do next,
rugby has a halftime and that's it,
rugby is a team sport such that the game doesn't hinge on 2 or 3 players (the quarterback and a couple receivers),
in rugby there is no forward passing,
in rugby the game doesn't stop because some player got a scratch or a bloody beak and the play continues,
penalties are such that causing a death in an infraction is punishable by ejection fromnm the game, causing serious injury in an infraction uis punishable by a couple minutes off the field, and blood letting is ignored,
rugby players just play and don't have to learn a big pile of fancy manouvers,
etc.
etc.
etc.
:D
After a few years of rugby, I tried playing foolball in a school where they didn't have a rugby team and found it excruciatingly tedious.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
My fave is poking holes through the atmosphere with speeding little nuggets of lead...then through the black dot in the center of a piece of paper...

With a handgun from a minimum of thirty meters and with a long gun out to three or four hundred yards...

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
I'm rather fond of tennis, golf and volleyball......though haven't played volleyball in at least two million years;-)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
My fave is poking holes through the atmosphere with speeding little nuggets of lead...then through the black dot in the center of a piece of paper...

With a handgun from a minimum of thirty meters and with a long gun out to three or four hundred yards...
I like that, too. But most of the time it's plugging holes in pinecones, knots in stumps, etc.
While I was in the Okanagan I preferred long range big bore shooting to that short range stuff.
I have a .338 Lapua chambered Anshutz rifle with a Unertl scope for long range (1000 yds).

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Hey marygaspe...

Keep at the volleyball and maybe you can rise to stardom in the Olypic Beach Volleyball events...

I've always chuckled at the mental image of Socrates and Plato playing Beach volleyball along with all their good friends at the early Greek olympics....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Great for perimeter defense. Best group I ever got anywhere near that range was with a firearm that'd probably suprise you...an AR-15

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Hey marygaspe...

Keep at the volleyball and maybe you can rise to stardom in the Olypic Beach Volleyball events...

I've always chuckled at the mental image of Socrates and Plato playing Beach volleyball along with all their good friends at the early Greek olympics....

You never know:)