The Ashes: 150 years of verbal warfare

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
With the Ashes only a week away, here are some of the best insults the England and Australia cricket teams have thrown at each other over the years......

150 years of verbal warfare

By IAN TUCKEY

A great moment in sport: Australia's two batsmen look depressed just seconds after England won the Ashes in 2005.

CRICKET may only be the second most popular sport in the world after soccer - but it has long ruled the sporting globe when it comes to sledging.

England's W.G. Grace, the greatest player of the 19th century, was the first master of verbal warfare.

Later legends of psychological insults, over 146 years of Ashes conflicts, include heroes like Fred Trueman, Ian Chappell, Merv Hughes.

Here are some of the classic encounters in the art of putting your opponent off, wrecking his confidence, or simply ridiculing him.

The history of the Ashes has also been laced with psychological jousting between matches.

Here are some of the best exchanges between the English and their deadly rivals the Australians over 150 years of cricket:

"Surely, you're not going, Doc? There's still one stump standing."
Fast bowler Charles Kortright after clean bowling W.G. Grace in 1898.

"They have come to watch me bat, not you bowl."
W.G. Grace, responding to being bowled off the first ball in an exhibition match. He replaced the bails and resumed his innings!

"All Australians are uneducated, and an unruly mob."
Douglas Jardine, the England skipper infamous for his "controversial" Bodyline bowling tactics Down Under in 1932-33.

"If we don't beat you, we'll knock your bloody heads off."
England's Bill Voce to Australia's Vic Richardson in 1932.

"There are two teams out there on the oval. One is playing cricket, the other is not."
Battered Aussie skipper Bill Woodfull at the 1932-33 Third Test.

"Well bowled, Harold."
Jardine to Larwood after the world's fastest bowler hit Woodfull dangerously near the heart.

"A fine bloody way to start a series."
Hammond to Bradman as 'the Don' declines to walk after a 'catch' behind in 1946.

"Well bowled, you bastard - now give me the bloody ball!"
Tony Lock, after fellow England spinner Jim Laker took 19 Aussie wickets at Old Trafford in 1956.

FIERY FRED ... Trueman

"Don't bother shutting it, son - you won't be out there long enough."
England paceman Fred Trueman to an Aussie batsman as he walked through the pavilion gate in the early 1960s (****ing hilarious).

"Kid yourself it's a Sunday, Rev - and put your hands together."
Fred Trueman to butter-fingered England team-mate David Sheppard.

"The only fellow I've met who fell in love with himself at a young age and has remained faithful ever since."
Aussie pace ace Dennis Lillee on England opener Geoffrey Boycott.

"Who's this, then? Father f***ing Christmas?"
Aussie speedster Jeff Thomson, greeting silver-haired David Steele at Lords in 1975.

"I hate bowling at you. I'm not as good at hitting a moving target."
Lillee to unorthodox English batsman Derek Randall.

" Boycott? Bounce the c***, Edrich? Bounce the c***, Willis? Slog the c***, Underwood? Bloody tight - hard to get away. Slog the c***!"
Ian Chappell addresses an Australian team meeting.

"I've faced bigger, uglier bowlers than you, mate - now f**k off and bowl the next one."
Aussie legend Allan Border to England seamer Angus Fraser.

HUNGRY ... Mike Gatting

"You've got to bat on this in a minute, Tufnell. Hospital food suit you?"
Oz paceman Craig McDermott to England batting rabbit Phil Tufnell.

"Mate, if you just turn the bat over you'll find the instructions on the back."
Merv Hughes sledges England's Robin Smith.

"If it had been a cheese roll, it would never have got past him."
Graham Gooch on England team-mate Mike Gatting being bowled by Shane Warne's "ball of the century" in 1993.

"When the pressure point comes, England's cricketers crumble."
Warne, 1997.

"They are the greatest bunch of sledgers there's ever been."
Aussie legend Neil Harvey on his country's 2001 national team.

"Do you wake up in the middle of the night thinking you might have dropped the Ashes?"
Tufnell to Warne at a Melbourne awards ceremony in February this year. Warne dropped Kevin Pietersen on the last day of the final 2005 Ashes Test - with his pal Pietersen 'thanking him' with 158.

THESE are just a few of the anecdotes from Simon Briggs' entertaining Stiff Upper Lips and Baggy Green Caps. The new book - which he labels "A sledger's history of the Ashes" - is printed by Quercus.

thesun.co.uk

Last edited:

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
I wonder where that dumb yank who said Cricket isn't a mans sport has gone?

It's come to my attention that alot of people in North America think that Cricket is all about gentlemanly conduct and applauding your opponent. That is really a load of balls, Cricket is all about banter and one-upmanship. It's worse than lawn bowls! It's about the LEAST gentlemanly sport out there.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The Ashes starts tomorrow

Anticipation soars for Ashes

Barmy Army ... England's fans - the Barmy Army - arrive in Australia. For England and Australia - the two bitterest enemies - winning the Ashes is even bigger than winning the World Cup itself. England won it last year. English fans will have to watch the Series on TV in the early hours of the morning.

By LUCY WATERLOW
November 22, 2006

IT'S going to be a long night for cricket fans as this year's anticipated Ashes series begins at midnight tonight (British time).

Public interest soared during England's victory over Australia last year with the players becoming national heroes.

Freddie Flintoff will be captaining the England team this time as they defend the Ashes down under.

The first test will be played at the Gabba, so called because of the area of Brisbane in which it is situated – Wolloongabba.

While millions back home will be staying up to watch the test on TV, England's Barmy Army will be at the venue in force, singing our boys to victory.

On his blog on the Barmy Army webite, Dave Peacock, one of the Barmy Army founders currently in Australia, said they can't wait for the Ashes to begin.

He said: "To us one-day cricket is a sideshow to the real thing and nothing gets bigger than the Ashes.

"We’re very realistic, we know it will be extremely difficult to win away from home and quite rightly the bookmakers have made us as outsiders. That will suit us."

The travelling supporters have already scored a win for England by beating Australia's 'Fanatics' in a 20/20 match yesterday.

Brisbane North's Cricket Club secreatary, who organised the supporters' match, said Ashes fever is at an all time high in Australia.

He said: "When I was a boy they used to describe cricket as a dying game. Everyone's talking about the Ashes now."

thesun.co.uk

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Now keep the urn, Freddie

FRED has the whole world in his hands: the Ashes urn that England won in 2005. Can they keep their grip on it in Australia's backyard?

ES -

RELATED WEBSITES

From JOHN ETHERIDGE in Brisbane
November 22, 2006

ENGLAND skipper Freddie Flintoff keeps a firm grip on The Ashes as he prepares to go back to war with Australia.

The Barmy Army, along with millions of TV viewers back home, will see the first ball of the series bowled at The Gabba at midnight.

And every one of them will be rooting for Freddie and his boys to retain the little urn they captured in such dramatic fashion just 14 months ago.

The Aussies are pumped up for revenge but Freddie is determined not to release his grasp on the trophy.

He is already playing it tough and will turn down rival captain Ricky Ponting’s idea that batsmen should take the word of fielders on disputed catches. Instead, Freddie wants the umpires to make any close decisions during the First Test.

Ponting has always believed the word of a fielder should be sufficient for a batsman to be given out and feels the policy encourages honesty and integrity.

But he said: “Freddie was pretty strongly against taking the word of fielders when we had our most recent ICC captains’ meeting last year and I brought it up.

“I’ve tried to bring in this idea with low catches to take the field umpires out of play. I guess in this series it will be put back on to them to make a decision there and then and, if they cannot, they will refer it to the third umpire.

“I expect the games to be played in the right way. If there’s a clear catch taken, batsmen should pack their bags and leave the ground.

“I think in the 2005 Ashes series the sportsmanship shown right through was first-class. The intensity and rivalry will be there and it will be tough Test cricket but there will be none of that other stuff going on.”

Flintoff thinks using TV replays is the best way to have a high percentage of correct decisions.

He explained: “There are occasions when players aren’t sure whether they have caught the ball. They might think they’ve caught it but TV shows otherwise.

“I’m not saying we won’t take a player’s word. But we have the technology so might as well use it.”

BELL ... nurses left wrist

England No 3 Ian Bell, who scored 132 last Saturday in the warm-up match against South Australia, went to hospital for an X-ray after being hit on the left wrist during a net by Jimmy Anderson.

There is bruising but no break and Bell expects to be fit.

England’s final selection decision is whether to choose Monty Panesar or Ashley Giles as their left-arm spinner — and the management is split.

Aussie all-rounder Shane Watson has not recovered from his hamstring injury and batsman Michael Clarke replaces him at No 6.

thesun.co.uk