The origins of Basketball

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that like the great sport of Ice Hockey, the great sport of Basketball is actually Canadian.

Could anyone qualify this?

sanctus

The Padre
Oct 27, 2006
Ontario
www.poetrypoem.com
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that like the great sport of Ice Hockey, the great sport of Basketball is actually Canadian.

Ok, here you go. I did a yahoo search and found this article for you:
James Naismith

Enshrined:
Born:
Died:
Height:
Weight:
As a contributor in 1959
November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Ontario, Canada
November 28, 1939
5-foot-10
180 pounds

High School:
  • Almonte High School (1875-77, 1881-83)
College:
  • McGill University (Montreal), philosophy degree (graduated 1887)
  • Presbyterian College (Montreal), religion degree (graduated 1890)
  • YMCA Training School (Springfield, MA), physical education degree
    (graduated 1891)
  • Gross Medical School (University of Colorado), medical degree (graduated 1898)
College Playing Highlights:
  • Silver Wickstead Medal for Best All-Around Athlete, McGill University (1885)
  • Gold Wickstead Medal for Best All-Around Athlete, McGill University (1887)
  • Silver medal for his work in theology, Presbyterian College (1890)
Military:
  • Chaplain and captain, First Kansas Infantry (1914-17)
  • First Kansas Infantry, Mexican border (1916)
  • YMCA secretary (France: 19 months, U.S.: 3 months) (1917-19)
Career Highlights:
  • Invented the game of basket ball, as it was originally called
  • Developed basket ball's original 13 rules
  • As the game grew in popularity, he neither sought publicity nor engaged
    in self-promotion
  • Author of numerous articles and books
  • Posthumously elected to the American Academy of Physical Education (1941)
  • Physical education director, McGill University (1887-90)
  • Physical education instructor, Springfield College (1890-95)
  • Physical education director, Denver YMCA (1895-98)
  • Associate professor and chapel director, University of Kansas (1898-1909)
  • Professor and university physician, University of Kansas (1909-17)
  • Received master of physical education (1910)
  • Was ordained as a Presbyterian minister (1915)
  • Physical education professor (1917-37)
  • Received Doctor of Divinity degree, McGill University (1939)
Bio:
Basketball, a game that started with 18 men in a YMCA gymnasium in Springfield, Mass., has grown into a game that more than 300 million people play worldwide. The man who created this instantly successful sport was Dr. James Naismith. Under orders from Dr. Luther Gulick, head of Physical Education at the School for Christian Workers. Naismith had 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction" for a rowdy class through the brutal New England winter. Naismith's invention didn't come easily. Getting close to the deadline, he struggled to keep the class' faith. His first intention was to bring outdoor games indoors, i.e., soccer and lacrosse. These games proved too physical and cumbersome. At his wits' end, Naismith recalled a childhood game that required players to use finesse and accuracy to become successful. After brainstorming this new idea, Naismith developed basketball's original 13 rules and consequently, the game of basketball. As basketball's popularity grew, Naismith neither sought publicity nor engaged in self-promotion. He was first and foremost a physical educator who embraced recreational sport but shied away from the glory of competitive athletics. Naismith was an intense student, collecting four degrees in the diverse fields of Philosophy, Religion, Physical Education and Medicine. Although he never had the opportunity to see the game become the astonishing spectacle it is today, Naismith's biggest thrill came when he was sponsored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) to witness basketball become an Olympic sport at the 1936 Games held in Berlin. Naismith became famous for creating the game of basketball, a stroke of genius that never brought him fame or fortune during his lifetime, but enormous recognition following his passing in 1939. For his historic invention, Naismith's name adorns the world's only Basketball Hall of Fame, a tribute that forever makes James Naismith synonymous with basketball.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
Ok, here you go. I did a yahoo search and found this article for you:
James Naismith

Enshrined:
Born:
Died:
Height:
Weight:
As a contributor in 1959
November 6, 1861 in Almonte, Ontario, Canada
November 28, 1939
5-foot-10
180 pounds

High School:
  • Almonte High School (1875-77, 1881-83)
College:
  • McGill University (Montreal), philosophy degree (graduated 1887)
  • Presbyterian College (Montreal), religion degree (graduated 1890)
  • YMCA Training School (Springfield, MA), physical education degree
    (graduated 1891)
  • Gross Medical School (University of Colorado), medical degree (graduated 1898)
College Playing Highlights:
  • Silver Wickstead Medal for Best All-Around Athlete, McGill University (1885)
  • Gold Wickstead Medal for Best All-Around Athlete, McGill University (1887)
  • Silver medal for his work in theology, Presbyterian College (1890)
Military:
  • Chaplain and captain, First Kansas Infantry (1914-17)
  • First Kansas Infantry, Mexican border (1916)
  • YMCA secretary (France: 19 months, U.S.: 3 months) (1917-19)
Career Highlights:
  • Invented the game of basket ball, as it was originally called
  • Developed basket ball's original 13 rules
  • As the game grew in popularity, he neither sought publicity nor engaged
    in self-promotion
  • Author of numerous articles and books
  • Posthumously elected to the American Academy of Physical Education (1941)
  • Physical education director, McGill University (1887-90)
  • Physical education instructor, Springfield College (1890-95)
  • Physical education director, Denver YMCA (1895-98)
  • Associate professor and chapel director, University of Kansas (1898-1909)
  • Professor and university physician, University of Kansas (1909-17)
  • Received master of physical education (1910)
  • Was ordained as a Presbyterian minister (1915)
  • Physical education professor (1917-37)
  • Received Doctor of Divinity degree, McGill University (1939)
Bio:
Basketball, a game that started with 18 men in a YMCA gymnasium in Springfield, Mass., has grown into a game that more than 300 million people play worldwide. The man who created this instantly successful sport was Dr. James Naismith. Under orders from Dr. Luther Gulick, head of Physical Education at the School for Christian Workers. Naismith had 14 days to create an indoor game that would provide an "athletic distraction" for a rowdy class through the brutal New England winter. Naismith's invention didn't come easily. Getting close to the deadline, he struggled to keep the class' faith. His first intention was to bring outdoor games indoors, i.e., soccer and lacrosse. These games proved too physical and cumbersome. At his wits' end, Naismith recalled a childhood game that required players to use finesse and accuracy to become successful. After brainstorming this new idea, Naismith developed basketball's original 13 rules and consequently, the game of basketball. As basketball's popularity grew, Naismith neither sought publicity nor engaged in self-promotion. He was first and foremost a physical educator who embraced recreational sport but shied away from the glory of competitive athletics. Naismith was an intense student, collecting four degrees in the diverse fields of Philosophy, Religion, Physical Education and Medicine. Although he never had the opportunity to see the game become the astonishing spectacle it is today, Naismith's biggest thrill came when he was sponsored by the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) to witness basketball become an Olympic sport at the 1936 Games held in Berlin. Naismith became famous for creating the game of basketball, a stroke of genius that never brought him fame or fortune during his lifetime, but enormous recognition following his passing in 1939. For his historic invention, Naismith's name adorns the world's only Basketball Hall of Fame, a tribute that forever makes James Naismith synonymous with basketball.

Thanks mate! Now I can feel confident telling any yank that nobody from the U.S.A. ever invented a worthwhile pastime.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Yes the basket ball man is from Almont, a town in the Ottawa valley area, Nice place to visit btw, Of course the dumb Canadian way means all there is, is a small sign to talk about him...They really should have the Basketball hall of fame there!! If cooperstown N.Y. can support the Baseball hall, then certainly Almont could support basketball...

Whats with the snotty remark about U.S. murder rate?? The murder rate in Canadian big cities is also high enough, whereas small town U.S. and small town Canada have similar rates...In fact Regina has a higher murder rate then some U.S. cities. The U.S. has many more big cities with inner city problems and murders compared to us.. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I am Canadian and proud of the fact and our inventions, but not too the point of trashing our very common neighbour

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

To us in Britain, ice hockey has a creepy resemblance to hockey, the game played by schoolgirls and basketball has an uncanny resemblance to the English sport of netball, which is played by schoolgirls.

To put it simply - Canada's two most popular sports are sports in England which are mostly played by schoolgirls.

Netball being played in West Yorkshire.

America's national sport, baseball, is based on the English game of rounders, again which is normally played by schollgirls.

In our country, if we see grown men playing netball, hockey or rounders, we make fun of them. But in North America, millions of grown men play those games all the time.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I am Canadian and proud of the fact and our inventions, but not too the point of trashing our very common neighbour

Your "inventions."

The only thing about netball and hockey that Canadians invented was that they be played by grown men rather than teenage girls and play hockey on ice rather than on astroturf at an English girls' public school.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I think netball was played after basketball though, and the women at the school where Naismith invented basketball got curious and adapted basketball to a sport for women. The first netball was played 4 years after Naismith's invention.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
the truth is nothing is ever invented from scratch!! It'a alway an evolution, but it's which evolution catches on...Baseball has similarities to Criket, Football to Rugby, Car to train and buggy, tv to radio etc etc...

But the game played today in North America is based on the Almont model....

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
To us in Britain, ice hockey has a creepy resemblance to hockey, the game played by schoolgirls and basketball has an uncanny resemblance to the English sport of netball, which is played by schoolgirls.

To put it simply - Canada's two most popular sports are sports in England which are mostly played by schoolgirls.

America's national sport, baseball, is based on the English game of rounders, again which is normally played by schollgirls.

In our country, if we see grown men playing netball, hockey or rounders, we make fun of them. But in North America, millions of grown men play those games all the time.
Have you actully played real Ice hockey....School girls would die.

Its the most High pace, and agressive team sport int he world. Very Physically and mentally demanding....Unlike you shcool girl hokcey which si called feild Hockey in Norht America...Your an idiot. They are completly differant sports.

As for net ball...thats the stupidest looking sport ever. Basketball is equally stupid...But atleast it makes money unlike your foolish school girl net ball bull ****.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Blackleaf, comparing Ice Hockey to what teenage girls play in the UK is silly... they are 2 different sports. Do you not have any other threads you can troll? Leave our sports alone.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Your "inventions."

The only thing about netball and hockey that Canadians invented was that they be played by grown men rather than teenage girls and play hockey on ice rather than on astroturf at an English girls' public school.
HAHAHAHA...Feild Hockey is feild hokcey its not event he same concept...your an idiot...let see your fat english lard sucking butt get on some skates and play an actul physicla sport...

The only Cool sport the English ahve is Rugby....But lets put those rugby players on skates, and give them a small round puck to hit each other over...see what iam saying...now shut up and go back to your little hole where you can think about the dumb ass ultra ibreed nationlist crap you just spewed.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006

Funny stuff Blackleaf aaaah-Hahahaha.

First of all Hockey is also played by men all over the world, the U.K. included. And if you take a satrday off watching football on the telly and join your townsfolk like Mr Patel, Mr Das, Mr Bose and Mr Chakraborty (they're all over England) and actually play the game you'll find yourself surprised just how tough it can be. It has a higher injury rate than football (soccer to you Cannucks) as you might find if the ball strikes you. I've never played it competitively myself but I know it's no woofters sport and it's one of the only womens sport I respect.

Secondly modern Hockey and modern Ice Hockey developed simultaneously, which means the two aren't really that similar. It isn't really true to think of Ice Hockey a derived from what we recognise as Hockey.

Thirdly Baseball developed from an old form of Cricket (the U.S.A.'s original national pastime) and Rounders actually comes from the Netherlands and Denmark, also from cricket.

Lastly Netball was invented AFTER Basketball. I think it is also Canadian, although it really is a stupid waste of time to me. It has very little in common with basketball.

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
Yes the basket ball man is from Almont, a town in the Ottawa valley area, Nice place to visit btw, Of course the dumb Canadian way means all there is, is a small sign to talk about him...They really should have the Basketball hall of fame there!! If cooperstown N.Y. can support the Baseball hall, then certainly Almont could support basketball...

I think his hometown have made an ideal subtle tribute to him. Making a Basketball hall of fame would be over the top and crass.

Whats with the snotty remark about U.S. murder rate?? The murder rate in Canadian big cities is also high enough, whereas small town U.S. and small town Canada have similar rates...In fact Regina has a higher murder rate then some U.S. cities. The U.S. has many more big cities with inner city problems and murders compared to us.. It's not as black and white as you make it out to be.

I think he was just joking mate.

Are you SURE Canada has a comparable murder rate? I mena I heard about that horror in Toronto recently where that f-cking idiot went bezerk in a school, but that was just isolated wasn't it?

Truekiwijoker

Nominee Member
Oct 24, 2006
The only Cool sport the English ahve is Rugby....But lets put those rugby players on skates, and give them a small round puck to hit each other over...see what iam saying.

Well I'm a Rugby man and you're probably right in asserting that most of my bretheren would be too uncoordinated to hack Ice Hockey, just like I'm sure Ice Hockey players would struggle tackling, bullet passing, Banana kicking, Breaking tackles/fending and pulling one from a ruck.

Different games, different skills.