Oilers v. Hurricanes

Toro

Senate Member
I've moved this from the Sabres v. Canes thread since its more appropriate. Plus, we need a Stanley Cup Finals thread anyways.

In response to Juan's post

http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Perhaps, but the NHL has a long history of underdogs whom nobody thought would get to the finals coming out of nowhere and playing a top ranked team in the finals but not winning.

Here is a list of the finalists

http://www.sportsfansofamerica.com/Links/Hockey/NHL/StanleyCupHistory.htm

Off the top of my head, the following teams were surprise underdogs that got to the finals only to lose to the highly ranked team.

2004 Calgary Flames
2003 Anaheim Mighty Ducks
2002 Carolina Hurricanes
1999 Buffalo Sabres
1998 Washington Capitals
1996 Florida Panthers
1994 Vancouver Canucks
1991 Minnesota North Stars
1982 Vancouver Canucks
1981 Minnesota North Stars
1979 New York Rangers

The only year I can remember the underdogs beating the heavy favourite was

1995 New Jersey Devils

Nobody expected

1993 Montreal Canadiens
1986 Montreal Canadiens

But in 93, the Habs played the Kings, and in 86 they beat the Flames, both of which weren't considered powerhouses.

Of course, history is bunk. The Steelers became the first team to win the Super Bowl as a #6 seed this year.

The one edge I believe Edmonton has is in goal, with Roloson. However, I believe that the Oilers have been outshot most games in the playoffs and I don't think Roloson is truly a world-class goalie.

I had heard during the Anaheim series that the team winning in this year's playoffs have been outshot 72% of the time. That's staggering.

I think this match-up is similar to the last Stanley Cup, apart from it being an Alberta team facing a team from the South. But Carolina is a better team and will prevail.

The Canes in 6 or 7.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The Oilers have more "clutch" players.

I mean players who do those extra things to win eg. blocking shots, winning the battles on the boards. Chris Pronger, Mike Peca, Ryan Smith, are just three of many Oilers who will give a bit extra to win. Better refereeing in the cup final should solve the Hurricanes holding, grabbing, and interference style of play.

I still say Oilers in five. :wink: :wink: :lol:

If they don't, I will think of an excuse

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The Canes are probably the most in-shape team in the league. No secret that their captain works out more than anyone else in the league and that pushes the other players. I think they've been noted to be one of the best 3rd period teams in the league. But the Oilers have had a good rest and the Canes have gone through quite a battle with Buffalo. If the Oil can take advantage of the rest, and not have it work against them by way of rust, it could prove interesting in the latter part of the series.

Roloson will see a lot more traffic in this series. Carolina is much stronger around the net than the Ducks. He will need to be a Conn Smythe candidate to win this. Canes have good goaltending but they're capable of getting shakey.

I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on who to vote for. I have a bit of a personal connection to the Canes but the Oilers are Canadian.

My gut tells me Canes in 6 or 7.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is a lot in what you say.

but the proof will be in the pudding so to speak. The first two games will tell us a lot. If Edmonton steals a game (or two) on Hurricane ice, the Hurricanes are toast. I believe Edmonto has owned the Hurricane during regular season play, but I could be wrong...I'll check.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Juan, they didn't meet in the regular season. The Canes came back down 2 games to the Canadians. I think they lost one to the Sabres early on.

But anything can happen. Heck either team can win four straight if they get on a roll.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
You are right

The Oilers won all four meeting with the Ducks during thr regular season but they didn't play the Hurricane.

We'll all be a little smarter after Monday's game. :wink:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Hey Juan, I haven't tallied the pool lately but bet you're winning and will win. You've got Pronger and Williams if I remember correctly.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I think the only player I've got who's still playing is Ryan Smith....Oh well :p

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
listening..... not sure how this all bodes fer the Oilers. Of course I'm rooting for them, I'd be hobbled to a stake and burnt to a crisp trying to live in this city if I didnt! LOL

On an aside, Edmonton has been taken to task by the Mayor for the ridiculous amount of mayhem and destruction that's been going on after the games on Whyte Ave.
Apparently video cam pics of some of the worst offenders have been published and will continue to be until they turn themselves in. More cams, city cops, RCMP and back ups from out of the city are being brought in to patrol dowtown and Whyte Ave until the playoffs are over. All offenses are going to be nailed with heavy fines and/or arrests. And no more patio parties at Rexall Place before the games either. Shame it had to get ruined by a few rotters. Wish it didn't have to get so out of hand, it sure smears our rep, and spoils the fun for those who can celebrate without causing havoc.

Are other cities as easily crazed by their team's successes?

Toro

Senate Member
Yeah, Zan

I was living in Vancouver when the Canucks lost to the Rangers in 94. I lived in the West End. When they lost, I just wanted to shut off the world so I closed all my blinds and went to bed. The next morning, when I got up and walked to work at 6am, store after store had their windows busted out.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yeah, it is really psycho over there in Edmonton. I can't get how people can go so crazy over a hockey game.Last week I was watching the news and there were people climbing up lamp posts, starting fires in the street all over Edmonton. All over a hockey game. Geez!

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I've got some pics of it all - there were 9 fires to be put out after the last game. If I can figure out how to post some of them here, I will. It's unbelievable, and not how most of us want to glorifiy our team's hard work.

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006
I find it disappointing that people in Edmonton feel they need to do this. Especially most of these people are young. I would think these people would be more mature. I'm 16 and I don't run around town causing trouble. I come to CanadianContent and cause trouble. :lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Oilers v. Hurricanes

Toro said:
Yeah, Zan

I was living in Vancouver when the Canucks lost to the Rangers in 94. I lived in the West End. When they lost, I just wanted to shut off the world so I closed all my blinds and went to bed. The next morning, when I got up and walked to work at 6am, store after store had their windows busted out.

Toro, what did you think about living in Van's West End? It's a bit of a circus down there, isn't it?

As for the '94 incident, I heard some hockey guys on TV say it set the new benchmark for hockey riots. Apparently the lowest of the low so far.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Re: RE: Oilers v. Hurricanes

Toro said:
I loved living in the West End.

It was a hard decision to leave Vancouver. Its still my favourite city in the world.

The West End is really a bit of everything. Anyone who can afford to live there can be themselves no matter who they are.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Zan must be drunker than a skunk. Edmonton looks awesome. Canes look tired.