Curling Chat

Mowich
+1
It's been a very exciting week at the Tim Horton's Briar being held this year in St John's NFLD. Team Gushue has held up well under the pressure of representing their province at home, buoyed on as they have been by the packed partisan crowd.

So far, only Team Manitoba has made it this far through the round robin with only 1 loss and currently sit atop the leader-board at 7 and 1. They are followed by Team NFLD who sit at 6 and 2; Team Canada (represented by Team Koe) also sit at 6 and 2; Team Northern Ont sit at 7 and 3 and Team Quebec sit at 6 and 3 then Team BC skipped by John Morris at 6 and 4. All other teams have at least 4 or more losses and are in danger of not making the play-offs with only one day to go in round robin play.

One of the most enjoyable and surprising teams in this year's Briar is Team Quebec, skipped by Jean-Michel Menard. Somewhat resembling the teams of yesteryear, Team Quebec is made up of a four guys who though not in the best of shape are somehow able to manufacture stunning take-outs, beautiful on-the-broom draws and always come with a never-say-die attitude. This in spite of Jean-Michel nursing a really bad hip that hinders his ability to come out of the hack smoothly - still he's made some killer shots to keep his team alive.

The other somewhat surprising team is that of Jamie Murphy's Team Nova Scotia who are also big fan favorites and manage to get their share of standing ovations for their skill on the ice.

I mention both these teams as they do not have the high profile standings of many of the other more well-known teams such as Team Canada, Team Manitoba or Team Northern ONT but have managed to get wins over the more favored in the running with a lot of determination, skill and effort. They are a pleasure to watch and a wonderful addition to this year's Briar.

As always, I am pulling for my favorites Team Northern ONT who admittedly have had their problems during the round robin especially Ryan Fry whose draw weight has failed him a few times and Brad Jacobs who has also struggled with draw weight though both of them are in the 90s with their hits. They managed a good solid win over Team Sask this morning.

The team sitting in first place after the play-offs will have won the honor of representing Canada at the World Curling Championship.

Mowich
With the round robin behind them, the remaining teams at the Briar are set to begin the Page Play-offs. Manitoba, still atop the leaderboard will play NFLD who are in second spot - they will meet each other tonight in the 1-2 PP while Team Northern Ontario are tied with Team Canada (Team Kevin Koe) and will play in the 3-4 PP tomorrow. The winner of today's game will get an automatic by to the Gold Medal round while the loser will play the winner of the 3-4 PP in the Bronze Medal round - both to be held this Sunday.

I must say the partisan crowd in NFLD have certainly had an effect on the teams in the Briar this year cheering loudly for every shot made by their team, so loudly in fact that many times other teams had to hold up on their shots waiting for the noise to die down and using up valuable clock time, less they be caught off-guard in the middle of their slides to the hog-line. Line calls were also missed due to the inability of skips to communicate with their brushers. All the teams participating were affected but they took it in stride and made adjustments where needed. Still, I can't remember ever watching a Briar or a Scotties where the fans in the stands played a role on the ice as do these proud Newfies who not only cheered their teams but often booed the shots made by the opposition. So far, their energy seems to have buoyed Team NFLD all the way to tonight's play-offs and for that, I'm sure the team is most grateful.

Remington1
+1
I actually like curling. It's one of my favourite sport to play.

Cannuck
+1
Medicine Hat News | Classifieds | Obituaries | Merle Nelson 1930 2017 It is (external - login to view)

Probably the best, best known, best loved curler in SE Alberta. If you're a curler anywhere between Maple Creek SK and Lethbridge, you probably know Merle and probably have a great Merle story.

Mowich
As the 3 - 4 Page Play-off is about to get started concerns over a possible power outage are being voiced as high winds rocket St John's today. Team Jacobs (Team Northern ONT) will play Team Koe (Team Canada) each vying for a spot in the final Gold Medal round.

Yesterday Team NFLD was in firm control from the throw of the first rock giving Team Manitoba skipped by Mike McEwen no quarter. With percentages in the high 90s, the team from NFLD outscored 7 to 5 and have advanced to the final round. Team Manitoba now awaits the winner of today's game.

Hoof Hearted
I love your updates, Mowich!

You should be getting paid as a Curling Correspondent for the Sports Network!

Hmmm...high winds have indeed interrupted TV coverage of today's semi final.

Mowich
The game was interrupted by a 40 minute power outage. We are back at the game but the ice needs some touch ups as it was noticeably slower after the power went out and the fans shut down. We are about to get underway again as the ice-maker finishes the last sweep of the lane. Team Canada leads 2 - zip after 3 but Team Northern ONT has the hammer going into the 4th end.

Apparently this is the first time that a power outage has temporarily stopped a game of this importance - hope that it is the last time. Lots of anxious moments wondering if I'd get to see the entire game.

The winds have dropped from a high of well over 100k to just over 86k - looks pretty miserable in St John's today as they are showing shots of people being blown across sidewalks and hanging onto lamp-posts for dear life.

Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

I love your updates, Mowich!

You should be getting paid as a Curling Correspondent for the Sports Network!

Hmmm...high winds have indeed interrupted TV coverage of today's semi final.

Glad to hear that someone is interested, HH and happy to keep you updated even though it appears you too are watching the game.

After going back into the archives, the TSN crew just said that this is actually the second time a power outage has interrupted a championship game.

Curious Cdn
Curling-in-the Dark might be kind of fun.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

Curling-in-the Dark might be kind of fun.

It wasn't that bad, CC..........hundreds of fans had their cell-phone flashlights on and there were emergency lights too. The game was halted but the guys did take a few practice shots while the crowd serenaded them with Sweet Caroline before they went back to their dressing rooms.

My guys - Team Northern ONT - finally got a lucky break in the 6th end after Brent Laing took out two of his own rocks on peel shot. So after being down 3 - all stolen ends by Team Canada, the guys came back with two of their own. That will do wonders for their confidence. We are off to the 7th end with the score at 3 - 2 for Team Canada.

Curious Cdn
hundreds of fans had their cell-phone flashlights on

It must have looked like a Led Zeppelin concert.

Kreskin
Kevin Koe is my favorite. He looks like he just got out of the cancer ward but he has ice in his veins. And very smart. I'm on the road so have no idea how he did today.

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

Kevin Koe is my favorite. He looks like he just got out of the cancer ward but he has ice in his veins. And very smart. I'm on the road so have no idea how he did today.

I'm unhappy to tell you that he did really well, Kreskin. The final was 6 - 2 for Team Canada - so they are off to the semi-final round to play Team Manitoba and determine who will advance to the Gold Medal and who will drop to the Bronze Medal game tomorrow. The game has been delayed by half an hour due to the previous power outage to give Team Canada a chance to recover a bit before their are back on the ice.

Team Northern ONT had a bad day on the ice. Brad and Ryan Fry both had problems with their draw weight and getting the ice right for the line.

Quote: Originally Posted by Curious CdnView Post

hundreds of fans had their cell-phone flashlights on

It must have looked like a Led Zeppelin concert.

It looked pretty cool, CC but it was Neil Diamond who had the fans rockin' their socks off.

Mowich
+1
We're headed into the 10th end with Team Manitoba having outscored Team Canada 6 to 4 after nine ends of play. So far, Mike and the boys have been the more consistent players overall though both teams have had their big misses. The stats would say differently with Team Canada's overall percentages being 10 points higher but they have struggled a bit with weight and line. Mark Kennedy has had a lot to do with keeping them in the game as he is throwing at 100%. Both teams have made some killer take-outs and amazing draws throughout the game.

Your team came through with a fantastic double take-out to get their two points and force an extra end, Kreskin. Nobody is going home yet. Mike has the hammer in the 11th and that could make all the difference.

That hammer didn't make a whit of difference to Kevin Koe, Kreskin........he made an absolutely beautiful draw to the pin on his last shot in the 11th and Mike McEwen was faced with a double take-out on a long guard. The brushers walked away before the stone even reached its target and Team Canada will play Team NFLD for the Gold Medal tomorrow following the Bronze Medal game between Tea Northern ONT and Team Manitoba. Should be another grand day of curling............hope the wind dies down.

Kreskin
Great match. Feel bad for McEwen. It looked like nothing was going to stop him, but Koe was awesome down the stretch. Clutch final shot. Should be a helluva final tomorrow.

Mowich
+1
I was reading about the hurricane winds that hit NFLD yesterday and all the damage they caused. Winds were recorded as high as 180k in some areas. Houses, cars, trucks, signs were all blown over. Shopping carts took the air smashing into cars and breaking windshields. There are still about 20,000 people without power this morning. It must have been quite the site for all the curling fans leaving the arena last night.

Getting ready for the Bronze Medal game which is due to start at 10:30 AM PST. The Gold Medal game will go at 3:30 PM PST.

Hoof Hearted

Curious Cdn
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I was reading about the hurricane winds that hit NFLD yesterday and all the damage they caused. Winds were recorded as high as 180k in some areas. Houses, cars, trucks, signs were all blown over. Shopping carts took the air smashing into cars and breaking windshields. There are still about 20,000 people without power this morning. It must have been quite the site for all the curling fans leaving the arena last night.

Getting ready for the Bronze Medal game which is due to start at 10:30 AM PST. The Gold Medal game will go at 3:30 PM PST.

There's a town on the Southwest coast of Newfoundland named "Wreck House". It's right near the Port aux Basque ferry port and they get 100 Mile Per Hour winds there from time-to-time. Anyway, take a look at the damage. Notice the size of wave breaking over that jetty .... which will be located in a protected cove or harbour.

St. John's airport on backup power; Hydro issues power warning - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

Ludlow
When I think of curling I remember the weight lifting exercize we did in high school.

Mowich
Bronze Medal Game: Team Manitoba vs Team Northern ONT

Jacobs forces McEwen to 1 in the 1rst
Blank by Jacobs in the 2nd
McEwen forces Jacobs to 1 in the 3rd

Jacobs steals a point in the 4th - Brad makes a key shot with his last on a hit and roll that Mike was unable to remove or out-draw
Two misses by Ryan Fry in the 5th give Mike a chance at a deuce. Both Ryan and Brad are a bit off their calls in the 5th. Mike sinks his first on the pin leaving Brad with a tough shot to avoid a score of a possible 3 for Mike with his last. Brad tries for double but leaves his rock open. Mike takes it out and scores 2 in the 5th.

3 - 2 Team Manitoba leads going into the 6th end

Both teams are scoring the high 90s on their take-outs and draws.

Both Mike and Brad have problems reading the ice but the teams are still able to make something out of their shots. Brad misses huge chance with his first on a triple take-out and Mike takes full advantage sinking one right on the pin to sit 2. Brad is forced to give up another steal of one. Team Manitoba leads 4 - 2 after 6 ends.

Kreskin
+1
The triple takeout was a bad idea. He was trying a pool shot that even pool players would pass on.

Mowich
Brad and Ryan Fry get their mojo going in the 8th making the most of each of their shots to set up a chance for two and Brad comes through with a great draw that moved the Manitoba stone just enough that Team Northern ONT got their deuce.

Scored tied 4 to 4 going into the 9th end.

After a well-played end by both teams, Team Northern ONT is able to force Team Manitoba to take one in the 9th and will have the hammer going into the 10th, down one point and needing two for the win.

Mike McEwen comes up with a killer take-out shot with his last in the 10th to force Brad to a single and the game is going to an extra end. Team Manitoba will have the hammer.

Brad came up light on his last shot giving Mike McEwen an easy shot for the deuce and Team Manitoba wins the Bronze Medal.

Mowich
OMG...........I sure hope you were watching, Kreskin. That triple by Kev facing four or was it five......I just know there was a bunch of red rocks in the house when Kev came through with that shot - simply masterful. I jumped up and yelled my head off - got the dogs barking too. He actually cracked a tiny smile after that shot - other players would have been jumping for joy and pumping the broom - not Kev, a little twitch of the lips and that's about it. It very well could have been game over right there.

He embodies the term 'Keep calm and carry on.'
Last edited by Mowich; 1 week ago at 07:15 PM..

Kreskin
Gushue looks like a monster today. Can't miss if he tried to.

Mowich
+1

Gushue looks like a monster today. Can't miss if he tried to.

I agree and he is almost missing a brusher with Jeff being injured.

Brad's not the only one who came to play today, Kreskin....................your boy Kevin is something to behold. Right back in the game and only down 1 - pretty fantastic considering where they were sitting a couple of ends ago.

5 - 5 going into the 8th after Team Canada stole 1 in the 7th.

Kreskin
+1
Im not near a TV so good to read the updates.

I was watching when it was 5-1 then went out thinking it was over.

Mowich
Kevin and the boys held Gushue and his guys to a single in the 8th, Kreskin. It was a great end. Lots of really great shots on both sides. Mark's numbers are up too as he is making more of the calls.

6 - 5 Team NFLD going into the 9th. I hope Kev blanks this end and takes the hammer into the10th.

We're off to the 10th after a thrilling end to the 9th, Kreskin. Facing a trio of Gushue's rocks blocking access to the pin, Kev had to go out wide and have the brushes take it all the way around to the sit just close enough to outscore Gushue's rocks for the 1 point and a tied game.

Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

Kevin and the boys held Gushue and his guys to a single in the 8th, Kreskin. It was a great end. Lots of really great shots on both sides. Mark's numbers are up too as he is making more of the calls.

6 - 5 Team NFLD going into the 9th. I hope Kev blanks this end and takes the hammer into the10th.

We're off to the 10th after a thrilling end to the 9th, Kreskin. Facing a trio of Gushue's rocks blocking access to the pin, Kev had to go out wide and have the brushes take it all the way around to the sit just close enough to outscore Gushue's rocks for the 1 point and a tied game.

Team Gushue are the 2016 Briar Champions and they got there by a hair, Kreskin............that's about all the difference there was between Kev being shot or Brad having the honor and the brushers made sure it was their skip. The the place went bananas. I must say, though I was cheering for Kevin and the lads, that it is pretty special watching Team Gushue win at home with their fans. Well played game by both teams.

This means that Canada will now have two teams at the World's. Team Koe qualified last year and with this win and Team Gushue now becomes the new Team Canada and they too will have a spot at the World's.

Judging by what I saw this week, any of the top six teams in the Briar are worthy of representing Canada - they are all that good.

This weekend the Women's World Curling Championship round robin kicks off and I will be planning my days around the games that broadcast Team Canada aka Team Homan.

Kreskin
Yes, there are a number of worldclass teams in Canada. Interesting that there will be two teams at the worlds.

Mowich

Yes, there are a number of worldclass teams in Canada. Interesting that there will be two teams at the worlds.

"The win earns Gushue’s team total of about $225,000 in prize money and Sport Canada funding over the next two years. It also earned them a spot in the Ford World Men’s Curling Championship in Edmonton April 1-9 and direct entry into the 2018 World Financial Group Continental Cup in London, Ont., Jan 11-14 and the 2018 Tim Hortons Brier in Regina, March 3-11.

If Team Gushue — make that Team Canada — wins a medal at the Ford Worlds next month, it also gets a direct-entry berth into the 2017 Tim Hortons Roar of the Rings Canadian Curling Trials in Ottawa Dec. 2-10, when Canada’s four-player Olympic curling teams will be decided.

They also earned 83.558 Canadian Team Ranking System points. Koe, third Marc Kennedy, second Brent Laing, lead Ben Hebert, alternate Scott Pfeifer and coach John Dunn earned $45,000 and 65.652 points."

Curling Canada | The home of curling in Canada. (external - login to view)

Mowich
+1
The Princess Auto Elite Ten has been underway in Port Hawkesbury, NS this past week. It is another of the Pinty's Grand Slam of Curling events held across the country each year. Today the semi-finals were held with Team Jacobs out of Northern ONT and Team Morris from Kelowna BC making it to tomorrow's final after winning their games against Team Koe and Team Carruthers, respectively.

Team Jacobs was perfect through-out the round robin though their percentages waivered a few times. There were a few walking wounded among the teams and more than a few saw replacements in for different positions. All the injuries are minor and result from the strenuous work-outs at the Briar last week.

In other curling news, Team Canada (aka Team Homan) handily won their first match against Team China in the Women's World Curling Championships being held in Beijing China. Today they will face Anna Sidorova and her Russian team.

Rock on Team Canada. Go Ladies Go.

Mowich
It all came down to a very precise chip shot on the opposition's stone which sat right on the pin but Jim Cotter had what it needed to make it and Team Morris takes home the Princess Auto Elite 10 trophy while picking up their first Grand Slam of the year. Well done Team Morris.

At the WWCC's Team Canada picked up their 3rd win of the championship with a nice little double-tap on their own stone to sit the 1 point they needed after going into an extra end with hammer when Team Russia tied it in the 10th. They sit 3 and 0 but need a bit of work especially on Rachel's draws and being able to read the ice correctly. Lisa, Emma and JoAnn are making great shots and setting up their skip favorably end after end.

There is a really good field at this years WWCC and many of them will be tough test for our Canadian ladies. Happy to see them atop the table so far. Well done Team Canada.