Oct 9, 2004
Medals table

.............................Gold.....Silver.....Bronze.....Total
China......................7...........9..............4............20
Great Britain...........5...........3..............3............11
Uzbekistan.............3...........2...............3...........8
United States.........2............4...............2...........8
Brazil......................2............1...............1...........4

The first day of the Rio Paralympics and Great Britain already win five golds, including three in the..... yep, you guessed it..... in the Velodrome.

Rio Paralympics 2016: Dame Sarah Storey wins 12th Paralympic gold medal

By Saj Chowdhury
BBC Sport

Dame Sarah Storey has become Great Britain's most successful female Paralympian by winning her 12th gold medal on the opening day in Rio.

The 38-year-old Para-cyclist caught compatriot Crystal Lane, who took silver, after only 1,375 metres of the C5 3,000m individual pursuit final.

Steve Bate - with pilot Adam Duggleby - and Megan Giglia won cycling golds, while swimmers Ollie Hynd and Bethany Firth also took golds.

GB have won five golds and 11 medals.

Swimmers Harriet Lee and Stephanie Millward won silver and bronze respectively, while Jessica-Jane Applegate took bronze behind Firth in the S14 100m backstroke.

Scot Andrew Mullen, 19, won bronze and Jonathan Fox claimed silver.

Storey passes Grey-Thompson mark

Storey, who had shared the GB women's record for Paralympic titles with former wheelchair racer Baroness Tanni Grey-Thompson, was expected to easily defeat Lane in Thursday's final.

Storey, who was only 14 when she competed as a swimmer at the 1992 Games, is hoping to emulate her haul of four gold medals at London 2012. She will also compete in the C4-5 road race, C5 time trial and C4-5 500m time trial.

Inspired to try cycling?

Find out how to get into cycling with our special guide.

"Tanni's still a hero to me," said Storey, who competes in the C5 category in which athletes meet the minimum impairment criteria.

"It's amazing and I don't think it will sink in for a very long time, To go quicker than London after having my daughter Louisa is the icing on the cake."

Storey started out as a swimmer and won two gold medals, three silvers and a bronze in Barcelona. She competed in the pool at three more Games before a series of ear infections persuaded her switch to cycling in 2005.

Giglia starts track gold rush

Giglia wins GB's first Paralympic gold of 2016

Earlier on day one, Giglia won Britain's first medal with a stunning win in the C1-3 3,000m, catching American Jamie Whitmore after 1,875m.

The 31-year-old, who had a brain haemorrhage and stroke at the age of 27, told Channel 4: "It hasn't sunk in yet. I wouldn't be here without my team-mates, and my back-up team behind me.

"I didn't think I would make it to Rio and I thought it was a bit ambitious but I wanted to give it a go.

"Within the British camp, everyone is hyped up and ready to go. I have another three events, so I will enjoy the races with my legs pedalling as fast as I can."

Bate and Duggleby defeated Dutch pair Vincent ter Schure and pilot Timo Fransen in the B 4,000m individual pursuit final.

Analysis

BBC Sport's Elizabeth Hudson in Rio:

Four medals and three golds - it's not been a bad one for the GB cyclists on the opening night in the velodrome. Taking up where Wiggins, Kenny, Trott and company left off, they have made almost the best start imaginable.

Storey became the most decorated British female Paralympian in history and credit to silver medallist Lane, who a month ago was not even on the plane for Rio but earned a late call-up thanks to Russia's ban.

Giglia's determination to turn a negative into a positive after suffering a stroke in January 2013 shone through brightly with her gold medal.

Hynd leads charge in pool

Rio Paralympics 2016: Ollie Hynd wins 400m gold

Mansfield-born Hynd set a world record of four minutes 21.89 seconds to win the S8 400m freestyle final - and fulfil his dream of going one better than silver at London 2012.

"There isn't a day that's gone by where I haven't thought about London and it's all been about putting it right," said Hynd, who has neuromuscular myopathy - a condition which weakens his legs.

"I knew I needed to go out and do my own race. Although I'm a little bit disappointed not to go quicker, the gold is the most important thing."

Firth, 20, defended her S14 100m backstroke title by breaking her own world record for the second time in a day. The Northern Irish swimmer triumphed in 1:04.05 seconds, with Applegate coming home in 1:08.67.

Lee, 25, took silver in the SB9 100m breaststroke final, which was won by Dutchwoman Lisa Kruger.

Inspired to try swimming?

Find out how to get into swimming with our special guide.

Millward won bronze in the S8 400m freestyle final behind winner 17-year-old Australian Lakeisha Patterson.

Teenager Mullen finished second in the S5 200m freestyle final, behind Brazil's Daniel Dias who is his country's poster boy of the Games. Dias has now won 11 gold medals from three Paralympics.

Fox failed to defend his S7 100m backstroke title by fractions as he took silver behind Ukraine's Ievgenii Bogodaiko.

Analysis

Daniel Dias has now won 16 Paralympic medals in total

BBC Sport's Nick Hope in Rio:

What an unbelievable noise from the partisan crowd inside the Aquatics Centre as Dias lived up to his pre-Games hype.

We saw some good crowd numbers and support from the Brazilians on Thursday, but the Games need moments like this to inspire the population.

Brazil - and Rio in particular - has a poor reputation when it comes to supporting disabled people and the Paralympics. Success from athletes like Dias really could be a huge catalyst for change.

Peacock struts to reach 100m final

Rio Paralympics 2016: GB's Jonnie Peacock into 100m final

Briton Jonnie Peacock began the defence of his T44 100m crown by clocking a Paralympic record 10.81 seconds to win his heat.

Brazil's Alan Oliveira - the double amputee world record holder - did not qualify for Friday's final.

New Zealand's Liam Malone was the second fastest in a time of 10.90, with pre-event favourite Jarryd Wallace of the United States third fastest in 11.02.

Elsewhere, Briton Georgina Hermitage, who has cerebral palsy, equalled her world record in her T37 100m heat.

Hermitage gave up the sport as a teenager but returned after the birth of daughter Tilly in late 2012, having been inspired by watching the London Games.

Team-mate Sophie Hahn smashed the eight-year-old Paralympic T38 100m record of 13.43 to win her heat in a time of 12.62.

Both Hermitage and Hahn will be gunning for gold on Friday.

Rio Paralympics 2016: Dame Sarah Storey wins 12th Paralympic gold medal - BBC Sport

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's going to be hard for me to keep up with posting about the massive amount of golds that Great Britain are going to win.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The old "our gimps are better than your gimps" games.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Great Britain won three golds in nine minutes yesterday to remain comfortably in second place in the medals table, with five more golds than third-paced Ukraine. One of those golds went to Jonnie Peacock - the Paralympics' Usain Bolt - in the men's 100 metres..

Medals table

..........................Gold.....Silver.....Bronze.....Total
China...................20........17............12...........49
Great Britain........12.........6..............9............27
Ukraine................7...........6.............13...........26
United States.......3...........8.............3.............14
Brazil...................3...........6..............2.............11
Australia...............3..........2..............6..............11
Uzbekistan...........3..........2..............6..............11
Canada................2..........3..............0...............5

Rio Paralympics 2016: Great Britain win seven gold medals on day two

By Amy Lofthouse
BBC Sport
10 September 2016

Sprinter Jonnie Peacock won Great Britain's seventh gold medal of an extraordinary second day of the Paralympic Games in Rio.

Peacock, 23, retained his T44 100m title with a dominant performance.

Cyclists Sophie Thornhill, with pilot Helen Scott, and Jody Cundy earlier won gold medals in the velodrome.

Georgie Hermitage, Sophie Hahn and Libby Clegg claimed victory in their respective 100m finals while Ellie Robinson, 15, won gold in the pool.

Peacock's victory helped ParalympicsGB, who won three of their gold medals in nine minutes, take their medal tally to 27, including 12 golds.

Robinson set a Paralympic record to win the women's 50m butterfly S6 in 35.58 seconds while Steph Slater won silver in the women's 100m butterfly S8.

There were also Games records for Thornhill and Scott - in the women's B 1,000m time trial - and Cundy, who won the C4-5 1km.

Hermitage, meanwhile, set a world record of 13.13 seconds to win the T37 title, before Hahn won her T38 final in 12.62

Clegg broke the world record en route to winning the T11 100m, after being reinstated following an earlier disqualification.

Stef Reid and Ali Jawad won silvers in the long jump and powerlifting respectively, while club thrower Gemma Prescott, powerlifter Zoe Newson, and swimmers Susannah Rodgers and Lewis White secured bronzes.

Three golds in nine minutes

21:35 BST
- Cundy wins his third Paralympic gold, with fellow Briton Jon-Allan Butterworth fourth.

21:37 BST
- Hermitage breaks the world record to take gold in her first Paralympic appearance.

21:44 BST
- European champion Hahn wins ParalympicGB's third gold in quick succession, with Kadeena Cox taking bronze.

Peerless Peacock retains title

Jonnie Peacock won gold at the 2016 European Championships as he made his recovery from injury

World number one Peacock said before the race he was "not the favourite" to retain the title he won at London 2012, having struggled with injury.

However, the 23-year-old, who had his right leg amputated below the knee after contracting meningitis aged five, blew away the rest of the competition.

Peacock clocked 10.81 to finish 0.21secs ahead of New Zealand's Liam Malone to equal the Paralympic record, which he set in Thursday's heats.

"I just got to 40 metres then I kept pushing and that's when I pulled away," he told Channel 4.

Robinson wins gold, aged 15

Rio Paralympics 2016: Ellie Robinson wins butterfly gold

Robinson, who has Perthes hip disease and has daily physiotherapy, recovered well from a slow start in the final to finish strongly and set a new Paralympic record.

The teenager, who holds four British records, only made her debut at a major international event at the European Championships in April.

"It's so weird, it's not sunk in yet," she said afterwards. "I feel like someone's going to say: 'Ellie, wake up.'

"I put everything I have done in training into that race and it's going to be weird to go back to school as a Paralympic champion."

Rodgers, 33, won Britain's second swimming medal of the day by clocking 33.42 seconds to finish third in the women's S7 50m freestyle.

Robinson's school, Northampton High, tweeted their congratulations to their pupil

White, 16, secured bronze in the men's S9 400m freestyle at his first Paralympics before Slater rounded off a good day in the pool for British swimmers.

"I wasn't the favourite in that race but my experience came through."

Clegg wins after disqualification drama

Clegg wins 100m gold after disqualification scare

Libby Clegg was faced with the possibility of breaking a world record but going home without a medal as she was initially disqualified after the semi-finals.

The 26-year-old Scot, who has a deteriorating eye condition, finished in 11.91 seconds but was disqualified for being pulled by guide Chris Clarke.

The British team successfully appealed, and Clegg won gold by two hundreths of a second, clocking 11.96.

Her victory was GB's third on the track after Hermitage and Hahn, both of whom have cerebral palsy.

Hermitage, 27, only took up athletics after watching compatriot Mo Farah win two gold medals at the London Olympics.

A strong finish in a competitive field saw her win gold at her first Paralympics, before Hahn emulated her fellow Briton.

The 19-year-old finished just outside her own world record as she beat Brazil's Veronica Hipolito, with Cox finishing third.

Hermitage wins 100m gold with world record

Champion Cundy - four years on

GB's Cundy wins time trial gold in the Velodrome

Cundy's gold helped banish his disappointment from London 2012, when he was disqualified from the same race after his bike slipped on the start line, prompting a furious outburst.

The 37-year-old, who had his right foot amputated aged three, finished two seconds clear of Slovakia's Jozef Metelka in Rio.

"I'm properly pleased and was exhausted afterwards," he told BBC Radio 5 live. "To do it on the big stage was important."

Para-cyclist Dame Sarah Storey, who on Thursday became Britain's most successful female Paralympian, tweeted her congratulations to CundyThornhill and Scott had earlier won their event by 0.776secs.

Thornhill, who won silver with Scott at the World Championships in March, said: "I can't believe it - gold is something I've dreamt of for so long and we have it."

"The Worlds made us even more fired up and motivated, and to win with your best mate is an amazing feeling."

Scott, who won silver and bronze medals alongside Aileen McGlynn at London 2012, said it was "amazing" to complete her set of Paralympic medals.

Rio Paralympics 2016: Great Britain win seven gold medals on day two - BBC Sport

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
GOLD - Great Britain

Andy Lewis - PT2 Paratriathlon

He's done it!

Gold number 13 for Great Britain!

What a performance from the 33-year-old from Gloucester, who lost his leg after a motorbike accident when he was 16.

The world and European champion moved through the field brilliantly to win the PT2 category in a time of one hour 11 minutes 49 seconds.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Medals table

.........................Gold.....Silver.....Bronze.....Total
China................26..........24............19..............69
Great Britain...15...........8..............12..............35
Ukraine............12..........10.............15..............37
USA...................8............11..............7..............26
Brazil................5..............9..............5..............19
Netherlands.....4.............7..............9...............20
Germany...........4..............6.............4...............14
Uzbekistan.......4..............4.............11.............19
Tunisia..............4...............3.............1................8

Rio Paralympics 2016: Kadeena Cox wins time trial to add to athletics gold

By Amy Lofthouse
BBC Sport
11 September 2016

Kadeena Cox became the first Briton since 1988 to win a medal in two sports at the same Paralympics as she took cycling gold in Rio.

Cox, who took T38 100m athletics bronze on Friday, won the C4-5 time trial as Dame Sarah Storey finished fourth.

Her success came shortly after GB's Hannah Cockroft retained her T34 100m title and 15-year-old team-mate Kare Adenegan took silver.

Britain have won 35 medals in Rio, including 15 golds.

Cox also took bronze in the T38 100m

Cox told Channel 4: "I can't believe it. I'm over the moon. I have only been doing it a year and a half and being on top of the world is amazing."

Earlier, Andy Lewis won GB's first gold of the day with victory in the PT2 Para-triathlon.

Sabrina Fortune claimed women's F20 shot put bronze, while swimmer Alice Tai took bronze in the women's S10 100m backstroke.

Toby Gold won silver and compatriot Andy Small bronze in the men's T33 100m as Britain secured eight medals on the third day.

Cox goes head to head with Britain's best

Kadeena Cox has won two medals in two days

Isabel Barr was the last Briton to win a Paralympic medal in two sports at the same event with medals in the shooting and athletics at Seoul 1988.

Cox was only 16 months old when Storey won her first Paralympic medal at the 1992 Games in Barcelona, where she competed as a swimmer.

Cox had a stroke aged 23, which led to her being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

Storey, a 12-time gold medallist who won the C4-5 time trial at London 2012, completed the 500m race in 37.068 seconds to take the lead.

However, Cox triumphed in 34.598 seconds, with China's Zhou Jufang taking silver in 36.004 and compatriot Ruan Jianping bronze in 36.557.

Cox said: "I have worked so hard, my legs were tired and I was mentally exhausted from yesterday."

Storey said: "I'm a pursuiter - it should be a sprinter winning it.

"Fourth is the worst place to be, but even if I'd gone as quick as I did in London I'd still have been fourth."

Joanna Rowsell Shand, who won Olympic gold in the team pursuit at Rio, tweeted her congratulations

Analysis

BBC Sport's Elizabeth Hudson in Rio

"This was always the race which would be the toughest part of Dame Sarah Storey's Rio programme.

"Most of her training is focused on road racing so going from that to the minimum distance was always going to be a challenge.

"Kadeena Cox was favourite for gold and she delivered in style with a new world record to follow her athletics bronze on Friday night."

Cockroft wins battle of the Brits

Cockroft (right) wins 100m gold with fellow Briton Kare Adenegan (left) taking silver

Adenegan, 15, is the youngest athlete in the Great Britain team and is the only racer to have beaten Cockroft during her four-year dominance in the T34 category.

The pair were almost level for the first 40m on Saturday, before Cockroft powered through to finish in 17.42 seconds, a Paralympic record.

Adenegan, who took up the sport after watching the London Paralympics, finished in a personal best 18.29 seconds.

"The 100m is my favourite event, my strongest. I'm a little upset with the time," Cockroft told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I was going for the world record all season. I was a tenth of a second away from it. But I came for the gold, and I've got the gold."

Fortune, 19, earlier threw a career-best 12.94m to take bronze in the women's F20 shot put.

"I came here for a personal best - I didn't think I'd get a medal as well," she said.

Rio Paralympics 2016: Whitehead wins 200m heat in record time

Richard Whitehead (above), 40, set a Paralympic record of 23.07 seconds to qualify for Sunday's T42 200m final.

Graeme Ballard was fifth in the T36 100m final, with Mohamad Ridzuan Mohamad Puzi of Malaysia winning gold in 12.07 seconds, after Ukrainian favourite Roman Palvyk was disqualified for a false start.

Lewis makes Paralympic history

Earlier, Lewis secured PT2 gold as triathlon made its Paralympics debut.

The 33-year-old, who had his right leg amputated aged 22, finished in one hour 11 minutes 49 seconds.

"It brings tears to my eyes that I'll be able to tell my kids that I won this gold medal," said Lewis. "Perhaps I'll have my first beer in two years now."

In the PT4 event, George Peasgood finished seventh and Great Britain team-mate David Hill 10th.

David Weir, who won four gold medals at London 2012, congratulated Andy Lewis after his Para-triathlon win

Rio Paralympics 2016: Kadeena Cox wins time trial to add to athletics gold - BBC Sport

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
..........Gold.....Silver.....Bronze.....Total
China......66........52........35.........153
Britain....38........18........24.........80
Ukraine....27........21........24.......72
USA........22........24........22.........68
Brazil.....10........21........13.........44

Rio 2016 Paralympics: Dame Sarah Storey wins one of four Great Britain golds

BBC Sport
14 September 2016

Storey, 38, now has 13 career Paralympic gold medals and has won two events at these Games

Dame Sarah Storey won one of four British gold medals on day seven of the Paralympics, as GB surpassed their London 2012 total.

ParalympicsGB now have 38 golds, improving on 34 four years ago.

Storey and Karen Darke won road cycling time trials in their respective classifications.

Kadeena Cox set a world record of one minute 0.71 seconds to win the T38 400m, and Sophie Wells was victorious in the championship test dressage.

Storey, 38, now has 13 career Paralympic gold medals and has won two events at these Games, with her triumph in the 3km pursuit on the track last week having already made her Britain's most successful female Paralympian.

"I wasn't 100% sure I had won [Wednesday's time trial]," she told Channel 4. "Your time checks are brilliant but until the announcer says it you're not sure."

Kadeena Cox, who has won a cycling gold and a sprint bronze already at the Rio Paralympics, set a world record of one minute 0.71 seconds to win the T38 400m

Darke, 45, went one better than her silver medal at London 2012 to win the hand-cycling H1-3 time trial, despite having to put her chain back on part way through the 20km course.

She is paralysed from the chest down after a climbing accident and is a former para-triathlon world champion.

Her gold medal was confirmed minutes after her Paralympic Village flat-mate Cox had secured her third medal of the Games with her record-breaking 400m.

Cox, 25, has now claimed gold medals and world records in two sports in Rio, having won the track cycling C4-5 time trial in a best-ever time too, while she also won 100m bronze.

Rio 2016 Paralympics: Dame Sarah Storey wins one of four Great Britain golds - BBC Sport

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Iranian cyclist dies after crash in Paralympics road race
DAN BARNES, Postmedia Network
First posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 05:33 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, September 17, 2016 07:17 PM EDT
RIO DE JANEIRO - Iranian Para-cyclist Bahman Golbarnezhad died in hospital Saturday, after crashing his bike during the road race, and suffering a subsequent heart attack.
The 48-year-old had been treated by medical staff at the scene of the accident and was being transported to the on-site hospital when he suffered cardiac arrest, according to the International Paralympic Committee. The ambulance was diverted to nearby Unimed Rio Hospital in Barra, where he died soon after arrival.
The athlete’s family in Iran was notified in the afternoon and the Iranian Paralympic team was informed Saturday evening at the athletes village.
“The Paralympic Family is united in grief at this horrendous tragedy which casts a shadow over what have been great Paralympic Games here in Rio,” said IPC president Sir Philip Craven.
The IPC said an investigation into the circumstances of the accident has been launched.
This was Golbarnezhad’s second race at the Games. He finished 14th in the C4 time trial last Wednesday.
* A gritty American squad slammed the brakes on Team Canada's quest for wheelchair rugby gold on Saturday.
The Americans gutted out a 60-55 semifinal win, sending Canada into a clash with Japan for the bronze medal on Sunday morning. Team USA will meet Australia for gold and silver in the afternoon.
The loss had Canada's Miranda Biletski in tears.
"It's a huge rivalry," she said. "I know we knocked them out in 2014 worlds and Paralympics. I'm sure they had this marked on their calendar. They were hungry. They didn't want a repeat of us knocking them out in the semis."
The Americans won the turnover battle and took control midway through the physical contest.
"Lose that turnover battle, it's hard to get back into the game," said Canada's captain, Trevor Hirschfield.
The Americans built a six-point lead late in the tilt and hung on. Putting that kind of distance on the Canadian squad is not something that happens every day.
"They are a heck of a team, top to bottom as well, coach all the way down," said Team USA's Chad Cohn. "We put ourselves in a pretty unique situation and were able to finish."
* It was a great day for Canada on the water.
Married couple John McRoberts and Jackie Gay of Victoria took silver in the two-person keelboat (Skud 18) while Paul Tingley or Halifax, Logan Campbell of Saskatoon and Scott Lutes from Montreal sailed to the bronze medal in the three-person keelboat (Sonar).
* Canada's Renee Foessel finished fourth in women's F38 discus with a heave of 30.70 metres. Jennifer Brown was seventh with a toss of 27.95.
* The Canadian men's 4x400-metre wheelchair relay team crossed the line fourth. And cross.
They were clearly angry at how the race unfolded, and according to a Canadian team member, a track official caused a mix-up. The Canadians filed a protest and won, prompting a rerun of the race after all regularly scheduled events.
The Canadian team featured Brent Lakatos, Curtis Thom, Tristan Smyth and Alexandre Dupont.
dbarnes@postmedia.com
twitter.com/jrnlbarnes
Iranian cyclist dies after crash in Paralympics road race | Other Sports | Sport

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Cyclist Dame Sarah Storey led the way as Great Britain achieved their best medal haul since Seoul 1988 on the final full day of action in Rio.

Britain now have 147 medals - surpassing the 131 at Sydney 2000 - with six more golds won on day 10.

Only at the 1984 Paralympics in Stoke Mandeville in Buckinghamshire (where the forerunner of the Paralympics started in 1948 ) and New York and the 1988 Seoul Olympics - where they won 331 and 183 medals in total respectively - have Great Britain won more medals.

Great Britain have finished in the top two in the medals table in nine of the 15 Paralympics.

Medals table

................Golds.....Silvers.....Bronzes.....Total
China......105............81.............51............237
Britain.......64............39.............44............147
Ukraine.....41............37.............39............117
USA..........40............42.............30............112
Australia...21............29.............29.............79

Jess Stretton, Jo Frith and Vicky Jones look on at three Union Jacks during their gold, silver and bronze medal ceremony for the W1 individual archery

Last edited: