Why are so many champions born on 23rd March?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If you want your child to become Britain's next Olympic hero, then have your baby on 23rd March

For that is the day four of Great Britain's most successful ever Olympians were born - Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny and Mo Farah.

They have won a combined total of 20 gold medals spanning eight Olympic Games, starting with Redgrave in Los Angeles in 1984 and going right through to Kenny's gold in the men's Keirin in Rio on Tuesday night.

Want to give birth to an Olympic champion…? Have your baby on 23rd March: Mo Farah, Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Chris Hoy AND Jason Kenny all share the same birthday

Four Olympic champions, past and present, share the same birthday

They are Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny and Mo Farah

The four Great Britain Olympic stars were all born
on 23rd March

By Thomas Burrows for MailOnline
18 August 2016
Daily Mail

If you want your child to become Britain's next Olympic hero, then have your baby on 23rd March.

For that is the day four of Great Britain's most successful ever Olympians were born - Sir Steve Redgrave, Sir Chris Hoy, Jason Kenny and Mo Farah.

They have won a combined total of 20 gold medals spanning eight Olympic Games, starting with Redgrave in Los Angeles in 1984 and going right through to Kenny's gold in the men's Keirin in Rio on Tuesday night.

Jason Kenny celebrates with his sixth Olympic gold medal after winning the men's Keirin

Sir Chris Hoy, who also has six Olympic gold medals for Team GB, was born on March 23

Redgrave won five golds across five separate Olympics [winning his last in Sydney after saying in 1996 that 'anybody who sees me in a boat has my permission to shoot me'] - a total topped by cyclists Hoy and Kenny with six apiece.

Britain's legendary long-distance runner Farah has three golds and could add a fourth with victory in the 5,000 metres on Sunday early morning.

Kenny - whose fiancée Laura Trott became Britain's most successful female Olympian with four golds - equalled Hoy's record in dramatic fashion last night.

Speaking after the race, he said: 'It is pretty mental [matching Sir Chris Hoy]. I was there in Beijing and knew he was special and as the years have gone by I appreciated how amazing he was then.

'To do the same is amazing.'

After Britain's golden couple's incredible success Trott joked: 'Our kids have got to have some of these genes right?!

23rd March is also the birthday of Sir Roger Bannister, who in 1954 became the first ever man to clock a sub-four-minute mile at the Oxford University track.

Sir Roger Bannister running the first sub-four-minute mile in 1954

Another sporting hero to share the birthday is Joe Calzaghe, the Welsh former super-middleweight world champion who retired undefeated.

So, if you are thinking of starting a family soon, 29th June could be the special day.

For that is the next estimated conception date for a 23rd March birthday.

Mo Farah, who could add a fourth gold with victory in the 5,000 metres in Brazil, joins them

Sir Steve Redgrave, another legendary Olympian, also arrived in the world on 23rd March