Milos Raonic Makes History - Beats Federer

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Milos Raonic made Canadian tennis history Friday by defeating one of the sport's all-time greats on its biggest stage.

In rallying to beat seven-time Wimbledon champion Roger Federer 6-3, 6-7 (3), 4-6, 7-5, 6-3 in the semifinals at the All England Club, the big-serving Thornhill, Ont., native became the first player representing Canada to reach a Grand Slam men's singles final.

Milos Raonic beats Federer, makes Canadian history at Wimbledon - CBC Sports - Tennis

Rock on Milos.............well done young man. :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
He does seem like nice person, Walter. He isn't mouthy or flashy just thankful for his chances and the help he got from his new coach John McEnroe. This is truly a huge win for Milos.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
He's a good guy. A ton better than Djokovich. He'd do very well to study Federer, not just for his tennis brilliance but also for his grace and class with the fans and the press. If being a good man and a good role model isn't enough, that's also how you get the big-money endorsements.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I think John McEnroe has had huge influence of Milos' mental approach the game.. which has been so much more positive, especially when he's down.

This was no easy match against an old man of the sport.. Federer has proved he can rise to levels every bit as good as he was 4 or 5 years ago. Maybe not as predictably but he was all of that in the last two matches (Cilic and Roanic). In the Roanic match the quality of both men's games was extraordinary.

Now he faces Andy Murray.. at home.. we'll see. I think Milos in there with a fighting chance.. but it'll be a tough one.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The first Canadian to ever reach a men's singles final in tennis and he was actually born in Montenegro, then in Yugoslavia.

It'll be tough for him against No2 seed Andy Murray in the final on Murray's home turf in front of a partisan British crowd this afternoon. But he managed to beat an ageing Federer so he does have a chance against Murray.

If Murray wins, it will be his second Wimbledon title, his third Grand Slam title, and a world record 37th Wimbledon men's singles title for the UK.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'm watching the match right here on the BBC Sport website.

Murray has just gone two sets up after winning the second set tiebreak 7-3. It was the sixth tiebreak between the two players in all their meetings and only the second of those six that Murray has won.

In that second set, Raonic fired the fastest serve of the tournament so far at Murray, yet Murray still won the point!

... when It's convenient for an Englishman to combine the two ...

He represents Great Britain, just like the English players represent Great Britain.

If Murray wins the match, it will be the 37th time a Brit has won the Wimbledon men's singles title - a world record.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If he does it again next year, after devolution, he will be the first Scot, I guess ... but ...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If he does it again next year, after devolution, he will be the first Scot, I guess ... but ...

Scotland's had devolution since 1999.

Shame England hasn't, though.

Also today, the Englishman representing Great Britain - world champion Lewis Hamilton - has won the British Grand Prix.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And there are no mainstream politicians in Scotland today who want Scotland to be an independent, sovereign state.

Most of them want it to be ruled from London. Nicola Sturgeon's SNP, however, want to ditch being ruled from London and be ruled instead from just Brussels, Strasbourg and Berlin.

If Murray wins this tiebreak, he wins Wimbledon.

2016 Wimbledon men's singles final

Andy Murray 6-4 7-6 7-6 Milos Raonic

Jim Carrey, William Shatner, Sum 41, Arcade Fire, Barenaked Ladies, Steppenwolf, Alexisonfire, Nickelback, Dan Aykroyd, Bryan Adams, Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, Curious Cdn, Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, Alanis Morrisette, William Shatner, Michael J. Fox, Mike Myers, Ellen Page, John Candy, Keanu Reeves, Pamela Anderson, Rick Moranis, Donald Sutherland, Kiefer Sutherland, Justin Trudeau: your boy took one hell of a beating.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
My mother would correct you were she here to do so, Walter. Since she isn't, I will. Andrew Murray is a SCOT.

What's the difference between being Scottish and being a Scot?

Murray is also the Olympic men's singles champion, too.