The Origin of Hockey

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Gather around the fire, my young warriors, and I will tell you of how hockey came to be.

In the time of our grandfathers' grandfathers' grandfathers, when the Second Nations were still new to the land, in a place our people call Eetchimakapeliahowkahtinnawannadrinka, which means "Damn, this place is so dull the whities can have it for all we care," that the Second Nations call New Brunswick, Blacques Jacques DuLacques was leading his band of hardy Acadian fisherman up from the shore, oars over their shoulders, for a well-deserved drink at the tavern at the end of a hard day's work. At the same time, Dougie McKenzie was leading his band of hearty Scots-Irish lumberjacks down from the hills, axes over their shoulders, for a well-deserved drink at the tavern at the end of a hard day's work. The two groups met in the ice-covered parking lot of the tavern, which the owner had thoughtfully built in anticipation of the invention of the automobile some eighty years later, and as French Canadians and English Canadians are wont to do, began beating on each other with the iconic tools of their respective trades.

Just as the blood was beginning to flow freely, a clatter of hooves announced the arrival of Constable Constipated of the Northwest Mounted Police.

Wait a minute, grandfather. What the heck was an NWMP constable doing in New Brunswick?

You have keen ears, young one. But all Canadian origin myths have to have Mounties. Now shut your damn yap or I'll shut it for you. Where was I? Oh, yeah. . .

of the Northwest Mounted Police. Realizing that both his crew and Dougie McKenzies were about to be arrested in the name of an old woman across the sea, Blacques Jacques DuLacques had a sudden inspiration, and seized one of the rock-hard, charred bannocks off the trash pile. Throwing it down in the middle of the brawlers, he started whacking it around with his oar. When Constable Constipated began to announce his arrest of the men. . .

Grandfather, it sounds like this was the late 1820s. The NWMP wasn't even formed until 1876!

Young warrior, you have studied well. How would you like to continue your education at the residential school? No? Then shut the f*ck up.

. . . Blacques Jacques said "Non, M'sieu le Constable! Theese eese not a fight! Sacre bleu! Incroyable! Eet eese a GAM!"

"A what?" said Constable Constipated.

"A GAM! A GAM!" cried Blacques Jacques.

"Oh, a GAME" replied Constable Constipated.

"Oui! But of course! A gam!" said Blacques Jacques.

"Eh?" added Dougie McKenzie.

Now, in these times, young ones, Mounties were required to be at least six feet tall, and required to have IQs lower than their height in inches, so Constable Constipated actually bought this arrant bullsh*t, and left them to their pursuits.

Thus, our national sport is the result of a stupid Mountie, a lying scumbag Frog fisherman, and a dull-witted Scots-Irish lumberjack. Which may explain why we can't win a Stanley Cup.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
My feelings are hurt...... I'll go see the doctor to have them checked tomorrow.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Aboriginal Hockey

Ballplay of the Dakota on the St. Peters River in Winter.

Oil on canvas, 1848. Amon Carter Museum/1979.4.

www.cartermuseum.org
Source

Where did the game of hockey begin? That is a question that may never have an answer. What we do know for sure is that Aboriginal people have been playing hockey for almost as long as there has been ice to play it on.

The first hockey may have been played with carved one-piece sticks and whatever puck-like object happened to be lying around. It may have started as a winter version of an early type of lacrosse game that was invented by the First Nations hundreds of years ago. We know that the first hockey sticks were made in New Brunswick by the Mi'kmaq, over 100 years ago.

Organized hockey began in First Nations communities when children were sent to residential schools. Away from home for almost the entire year, children played hockey during the winter months. Before long, there were competitions between the various schools.

More:

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/hockey/kids/024003-2400-e.html

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Gather around the fire, my young warriors, and I will tell you of how hockey came to be.

In the time of our grandfathers' grandfathers' grandfathers, when the Second Nations were still new to the land, in a place our people call Eetchimakapeliahowkahtinnawannadrinka, which means "Damn, this place is so dull the whities can have it for all we care," that the Second Nations call New Brunswick, Blacques Jacques DuLacques was leading his band of hardy Acadian fisherman up from the shore, oars over their shoulders, for a well-deserved drink at the tavern at the end of a hard day's work. At the same time, Dougie McKenzie was leading his band of hearty Scots-Irish lumberjacks down from the hills, axes over their shoulders, for a well-deserved drink at the tavern at the end of a hard day's work. The two groups met in the ice-covered parking lot of the tavern, which the owner had thoughtfully built in anticipation of the invention of the automobile some eighty years later, and as French Canadians and English Canadians are wont to do, began beating on each other with the iconic tools of their respective trades.

Just as the blood was beginning to flow freely, a clatter of hooves announced the arrival of Constable Constipated of the Northwest Mounted Police.

Wait a minute, grandfather. What the heck was an NWMP constable doing in New Brunswick?

You have keen ears, young one. But all Canadian origin myths have to have Mounties. Now shut your damn yap or I'll shut it for you. Where was I? Oh, yeah. . .

of the Northwest Mounted Police. Realizing that both his crew and Dougie McKenzies were about to be arrested in the name of an old woman across the sea, Blacques Jacques DuLacques had a sudden inspiration, and seized one of the rock-hard, charred bannocks off the trash pile. Throwing it down in the middle of the brawlers, he started whacking it around with his oar. When Constable Constipated began to announce his arrest of the men. . .

Grandfather, it sounds like this was the late 1820s. The NWMP wasn't even formed until 1876!

Young warrior, you have studied well. How would you like to continue your education at the residential school? No? Then shut the f*ck up.

. . . Blacques Jacques said "Non, M'sieu le Constable! Theese eese not a fight! Sacre bleu! Incroyable! Eet eese a GAM!"

"A what?" said Constable Constipated.

"A GAM! A GAM!" cried Blacques Jacques.

"Oh, a GAME" replied Constable Constipated.

"Oui! But of course! A gam!" said Blacques Jacques.

"Eh?" added Dougie McKenzie.

Now, in these times, young ones, Mounties were required to be at least six feet tall, and required to have IQs lower than their height in inches, so Constable Constipated actually bought this arrant bullsh*t, and left them to their pursuits.

Thus, our national sport is the result of a stupid Mountie, a lying scumbag Frog fisherman, and a dull-witted Scots-Irish lumberjack. Which may explain why we can't win a Stanley Cup.

Yeah, it's an alloy of FN Lacrosse, Gaelic Hurley and super strong hootch.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
And the aluminum canoe.

The Indian used s higher grade of aluminum than Canadian Tire

My sister wrapped a Grumman right around a rock in some rapids on the Potomac, once and turned it into a big "smiley"

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I like my version better. It has a Mountie.

Here you go.........................