2016 CFL Season

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Pre-season game opener between my Riders and the BC Lions at BC Place today. First chance to get a look at the team, evaluate them and check out our new HC Chris Jones. He's a winning coach so I do have some expectations. He also tends to be highly entertaining on the sidelines as he wears his emotions on his sleeve at times and, has been known to have a bit of a temper.

TSN is once again hosting Around the Table wherein three players or coaches get together with Rod and talk about the league, the players, and other aspects of football. I really enjoy watching it as I come away with a much better understanding of the people in our league.

This is what friends and visitors see as they meander down my path to the house. :smile:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Argos won today. Assume this is pre-season?

It is. Which is why I won't get all upset if things go awry for the Riders. :lol:

It is. Which is why I won't get all upset if things go awry for the Riders. :lol:

Oh heck, the games at home.............don't know why I thought it was in BC..........wonderful. Sky of Blue, Sea of Green. Go Riders, Go!

Didn't realize that Chris took his entire coaching staff with him when he escaped from the Esks and landed in Regina. Like what I am hearing from the panel about the team's chances under Chris and crew - now let's see what happens out on the field.

Just read an article about the Argo vs Ti-Cat game. Really happy to see the Argos in their new home, smaller, fans are closer more of a football atmosphere than what they had in Rogers where they struggled with attendance. BMO field only holds 28,000 fans.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
From the time I lived in Regina, I remember the Riders are always good enough to win the cup every year .... then they start to play. Then:
-- if only they would play that hot young backup quarterback. If they did that, they would go far.
-- the coach doesn't know what the fruck he is doing. They should pass more/less.
-- there hasn't been a good RB in Saskatchewan since George Reed.
Welcome to another season of Rider Football. BTW is their starting QB healthy again? I know he was gone after like the 2nd game last year.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
From the time I lived in Regina, I remember the Riders are always good enough to win the cup every year .... then they start to play. Then:
-- if only they would play that hot young backup quarterback. If they did that, they would go far.
-- the coach doesn't know what the fruck he is doing. They should pass more/less.
-- there hasn't been a good RB in Saskatchewan since George Reed.
Welcome to another season of Rider Football. BTW is their starting QB healthy again? I know he was gone after like the 2nd game last year.

Sounds familiar, IRBS although last year it didn't take me long to see that the coach really was a problem. This year with Chris Jones at the helm, I am hoping that we might win a game or two this season. Yeah, Darien - our starting QB is apparently healthy - didn't play yesterday as it was the back-ups turn to show their stuff though from the little I saw prior to the black-out in Regina, neither of them were anything to write home about. Missed all of the second half due to the black-out but read this morning that the Lions triumphed.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Sounds familiar, IRBS although last year it didn't take me long to see that the coach really was a problem. This year with Chris Jones at the helm, I am hoping that we might win a game or two this season. Yeah, Darien - our starting QB is apparently healthy - didn't play yesterday as it was the back-ups turn to show their stuff though from the little I saw prior to the black-out in Regina, neither of them were anything to write home about. Missed all of the second half due to the black-out but read this morning that the Lions triumphed.

CFL still have blackouts? Most leagues have almost gotten rid of them as they found it does little to alter fan attendance. I believe some leagues have found the more games you put on TV, the better the attendance since the more the fans see the more into the game they are and the more likely they are to attend a future game.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
CFL still have blackouts? Most leagues have almost gotten rid of them as they found it does little to alter fan attendance. I believe some leagues have found the more games you put on TV, the better the attendance since the more the fans see the more into the game they are and the more likely they are to attend a future game.

Sorry, their was a power outage at the stadium, possibly other parts of Regina too. It wasn't a TV black-out - should have been clearer.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love the lions new uniforms, and was so glad to see lulay looking like lulay again, without more
QB injuries this year, they should be strong in that position.

feels good to see wally back too, I know you all love him as well. lol

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love the lions new uniforms, and was so glad to see lulay looking like lulay again, without more
QB injuries this year, they should be strong in that position.

feels good to see wally back too, I know you all love him as well. lol

I give Wally full dues as a coach - he's a proven winner, talloola. I hope that Lulay can stay healthy this year. He is much more to the team than a solid dependable QB who has great legs along with a great arm.

Still it must be comforting to know they have a really great back-up in Jonathan Jennings.

I wish the Lions good fortune this year.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I give Wally full dues as a coach - he's a proven winner, talloola. I hny ope that Lulay can stay healthy this year. He is much more to the team than a solid dependable QB who has great legs along with a great arm.

Still it must be comforting to know they have a really great back-up in Jonathan Jennings.

thanks mowich, your team too, always like to see teams play good, win or lose. well I do think they
thought that Jennings would be the starter, but lulay came along so well, he is all the way back, so
he is the 'man' of the moment, and yes, nice having two dependable QBs.

first league game on right now, but I'm watching the cubs play the marlins, I thought for a minute there wasn't a ball game on at all, with the nba draft on about 100 channels, but I did find the one game.

take care

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I give Wally full dues as a coach - he's a proven winner, talloola. I hope that Lulay can stay healthy this year. He is much more to the team than a solid dependable QB who has great legs along with a great arm.

It the other way around. Lulay is the back up with Jennings as the starter.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It the other way around. Lulay is the back up with Jennings as the starter.

Thanks for the correction, pete. Still, with Travis healthy and Jonathan at the helm, the Lion's are looking good in the QB department.

Watched the Ti-Cats take a pretty easy win over the Argos yesterday. Was of two minds about the game as it was in BMO field - the first real home the Argos have had in awhile and a venue that is much more fan friendly. Would have been nice for the fans to see their team win their first at home but the Ti-Cats had no such sentimentality. Go Cats.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Enough of Brexit, Leave and Remain.............time for the really important stuff............like what's happening in the CFL today. :lol:

The Als will be in Bomberland today for both team's season opener. Go Bombers.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It appears that a storm similar to the one that just rocked my world, cut my sat and xplornet feed and caused damage to my car, has caused a delay of game in Winnipeg.

Just in.............looks like it will be another 30 minutes or so before play resumes.

Silver lining, I get to watch the Jays. :smile:

Just checked back into the game. The Als are ahead 12 - 0 with just over 2 minutes left before the half. Doesn't sound like Drew is having a good night at all.

Whoa ................a holding call just wiped out a fantastic TD throw from Glenn to Carter.

Drew seems to be overthrowing his receivers.

Montreal just gave up over 30 yards of territory to the Bombers on stupid penalties and still the Bombers can't get the ball away.

Medlock hits the goal post from the 47 - dead ball, no points and the Bombers are going to the dressing room down 12 - 0. Knowing Bomber fans, I'm sure they are not happy campers at the moment.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Who are the Hoovers playing?

Je te plumerai la tete.

Good Grief...............I used to sing that song in school and until I just googled it had no idea it was about tearing a birdie to pieces.

Well if the Hoovers are going to be doing any plucking, pete they best get busy because here in the 3rd with just over eight minutes left in the Q, those very same fellows have 3 measly points on the board whilst the pluckees have 19.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Lol... Hoovers are sucking

Big time..............it's almost like deja vu from several games last year.

Meanwhile, Kevin Glenn is having himself a real good night. Were it not for all the idiotic penalties that the Als keeping taking, the score would be much higher.

3 minute warning. Looks like the Als will come away with a 22 - 6 thrashing of the ............whoa wait a second there. Drew just connected with Adams for a 53 yarder that was walked into the end zone. TD Bombers and they follow up with a 2-point convert. All of a sudden, it is 22 - 14. Things are getting interesting here.

Helluva a catch by Adams and nice escape from the defender - teach him to just grab your jersey.

The Als take this one but the Hoovers made it interesting in the final minutes.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's double-header day in the CFL. First up, last year's Grey Cup champs the Edmonton Eskimos will host the losers of that match, the Ottawa Redblacks. After the win, Chris Jones - Eskimo's head coach - took himself and his entire coaching staff and debunked to Saskatchewan where considering the pre-season games, he's still not made his mark on the team. Jason Maas took over coaching duties for the Esks. Rick Campbell returns as HC for the RBs.

The next game in the double-header will see the Calgary Stampeders in BC to take on the mighty Lions under their new/old HC Wally Buono.