Toronto Marlies

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I know people are all excited about the Raptors and should be getting excited about the Jays (when they finally stop sucking), but there is another franchise in Toronto which has been doing pretty well this year. That is the Toronto Marlies. Although it is quite unusual to have hockey being played beyond early April in Toronto, the Marlies have been doing it for the last several years. This year they amassed the AHL's best record so are the team to beat. They swept their opening best of 5 round although they required a comeback in their final game to do so. The next round against the Albany Devils went 7 and the Marlies won a tight game 7 to take that round. I believe by a quirk of the way the tournament was set up, Albany was the #2 seed and therefore in theory the toughest opposition. Now they will play the Hershey Bears in the Calder Cup semi-finals.

I saw game 1 and game 6 of the second round (both losses). I had tickets to game 5 of the opening round but it was not required. I have tickets to game 5 of the next round too. Interestingly the only home losses of the Marlies this year are with me in attendance.

Anybody else following?

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Probably wouldn't cheer for the Raptors. To anyone who is a Leaf fan, my condolences.There are a few people around here cheer for the Marlies and I might also, if it wasn't that the Habs are the greatest team in the cosmos in all hockey leagues.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Probably wouldn't cheer for the Raptors. To anyone who is a Leaf fan, my condolences.There are a few people around here cheer for the Marlies and I might also, if it wasn't that the Habs are the greatest team in the cosmos in all hockey leagues.

That's right!

...and, if you happen to be a Bruins fan, I hope that your lobotomy didn't hurt too much.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

I will agree to disagree about your assessment of the Montreal team although they have won the most cups. I could not get my 15 year old son to believe me that the Leafs have won the 2nd most. He has known them sucking his entire life. Hell I have known them sucking for most of mine aside from the first few years I don't remember and the Dougie Gilmore era.

Regarding the Marlies, if they win this year, this will be their first championship.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Going to see Game 5 today. Have been to 2 home games in prior round and they lost both. Marlies lost opening 2 on road and they also lost there first home game so are down 3-1. Another loss and they are gone. If they win today, they will have to win game 6 in Hershey and game 7 back here in Toronto.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Going to see Game 5 today. Have been to 2 home games in prior round and they lost both. Marlies lost opening 2 on road and they also lost there first home game so are down 3-1. Another loss and they are gone. If they win today, they will have to win game 6 in Hershey and game 7 back here in Toronto.

A perfect record for me this year. But I got to see playoff hockey in late May. It's not like one can see that in Toronto so I can't complain.