Great Britain unveil Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics kit

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Great Britain athletes have unveiled their Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics kit, designed by Stella McCartney, who also designed the team's London 2012 kit.

Great Britain unveil Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics kit

27 April 2016
BBC News

Great Britain athletes have unveiled their Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics kit, designed by Stella McCartney. Competitors were in London to show off their new kit, which ranges across all the Games' disciplines and is cast in the red, white and blue of the Union flag.

The kit was unveiled in London, 100 days before the start of the Olympic Games in Brazil. (Reuters)

The outfits, worn across 42 Olympics and 23 Paralympic sports, have been designed with Rio's heat and humidity in mind. They are on average 10 per cent lighter than the 2012 kit, hopefully to allow the athletes to go faster than ever before. (Reuters)

British designer Stella McCartney has returned as the kit's creative director at Adidas, after designing the team's London 2012 wear.

Aside from the technology and cooling fabrics in the clothes, a new coat of arms features in the designs. It draws on symbols from the four nations that make up Great Britain and from Olympic iconography.

The symbols and designs from the coat of arms are used on both Olympics and Paralympics athletes' outfits, with the idea of bringing them together as one team.

Athletes have been involved in the design process to make sure the kit can perform at their level for their individual or team sport.

"My trunks are quite small, it's kind of how it is," says diver Tom Daley. But he added that the athletes thought the kit was a step on from 2012 and felt "amazing".

Team GB unveil Rio 2016 Olympics and Paralympics kit - BBC News

Last edited:

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I think that the Olympics in Rio,will be a massive diaster.

Ithink that the biggest issue is going to be the water.

Somehow I don't feel that a mouthful of feces would not enhance my Olympic experience. T