Cricket: West Indies narrowly beat England to win 2016 World Twenty20

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The Final

England 155-9 (20 overs): Root 54, Buttler 36, Brathwaite 3-23

West Indies 161-6 (19.4 overs): Samuels 85*, Brathwaite 34*, Willey 3-20

West Indies celebrate their World T20 success which came in a nailbiting final over in a closely fought match

West Indies have narrowly beaten England in the final of cricket's World Twenty 20 - the World Cup for the shortest version of cricket, which was invented in England in 2003 - in a dramatic final over of the match.

The Windies' Carlos Brathwaite produced a remarkable final-over effort by taking bowler Ben Stokes for 24.

A superb bowling performance from England - who won the 2010 World Twenty20 - had left them on the verge of victory at Eden Gardens in Kolkata, after their batsmen posted a sub-par 155-9 from their allotted 20 overs, leaving the Windies needing 156 runs from their 20 overs to win.

West Indies needed 19 from their 20th, and last, over, bowled by Stokes, for victory but Brathwaite made a nonsense of what seemed a fairly difficult task by hitting four sixes in a row to hand his side their second World T20 crown, making them the first team to win the tournament twice.

Carlos Brathwaite

Marlon Samuels

England celebrate one of Joe Root's two wickets in the second over

Moeen Ali is caught, Dwayne Bravo celebrates

Dwayne Bravo goes for a run after dismissing Moeen Ali

David Willey hits out

West Indies players celebrate the dismissal of Joe Root

Jos Buttler hits a six off Sulieman Benn

Pictures:: England vs West Indies T20 World Cup final cricket score RESULT: Follow all the action from Eden Gardens in Kolkata* | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There's a surprise.

Done the nation proud.

We've just had our rugby union lads winning the Six Nations and our cricket lads have just narrowly lost in the final of the World Twenty20. Now I'm just hoping the football lads will cap this success off by winning Euro 2016 in the summer, or getting to the final at least.

By the way, I loved the trendy bails in this tournament which lit up brightly whenever they were hit:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
more often than not, Windies bowling is too puny to take on the other world power in cric ~ that's why I'm surprised at the outcome but give kudos to them for their success

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
more often than not, Windies bowling is too puny to take on the other world power in cric ~ that's why I'm surprised at the outcome but give kudos to them for their success

They also won the Women's World T20, too (not that I'm really into women's cricket). I think they're a stronger T20 side than a Test side. They were the greatest team in the world in Test cricket in the Seventies when they dominated the world, but not much cop now.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Blackie,

They were the greatest team in the world in Test cricket in the Seventies when they dominated the world, but not much cop now.

They sure were - their bowlers were intimidating. They went for the jugular and left some batsmen in the dust. How I long for those days of cric!