England, Wales and Northern Ireland to face Euro 2016 ban if UK votes to leave EU

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England’s hope of winning the Euro 2016 football championships were thrown into turmoil last night after it emerged that French and German Uefa officials were poised to file a legal petition suspending England from the competition if Britain votes to leave the EU on June 23.

The motion, which would also impact Wales and Northern Ireland if they clear the group stages, would cast the three Home Nations into a legal limbo just days before the start of the Round of 16 on June 25.

“Solidarity is a core principle in Europe, and this is true in the great game of football no less than trade or politics,” said Jurgen Loos, the former German central midfielder who is spearheading the Franco-German proposal. “If Britain leaves, then we should be clear: ‘out’ means ‘out’.”

Exclusive: England to face Euro 2016 ban if Britain votes to leave EU

England striker Harry Kane breaks through the German defence during the recent friendly international which England won 3-2 Credit: Action Images

Peter Foster, Europe Editor
The Telegraph
1 April 2016

England’s hope of winning the Euro 2016 football championships were thrown into turmoil last night after it emerged that French and German Uefa officials were poised to file a legal petition suspending England from the competition if Britain votes to leave the EU on June 23.

The motion, which would also impact Wales and Northern Ireland if they clear the group stages, would cast the three Home Nations into a legal limbo just days before the start of the Round of 16 on June 25.

“Solidarity is a core principle in Europe, and this is true in the great game of football no less than trade or politics,” said Jurgen Loos, the former German central midfielder who is spearheading the Franco-German proposal. “If Britain leaves, then we should be clear: ‘out’ means ‘out’.”

Draft legal documents seen by The Telegraph – which are due to be submitted no later than April 1 - also set out contingencies for dealing with angry English fans whose Euro 2016 tickets and EU passports will be automatically invalidated when UK-EU borders slam shut at 00.01 on June 24 in the event of Brexit.

Yuro Baloni, spokesman at Uefa headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland, declined to comment until the petition had been formally filed, but sources said that the plan had gathered sudden momentum after England’s stunning 3-2 win over Germany in Berlin last weekend.

The Franco-German proposals drew a furious reaction from pro-Leave campaign groups such as ‘Leave Go’, the group that has now overtaken ‘Vote Go’ and ‘Grassroots Boots’ as the organisation most likely to be designated to lead the Brexit campaign by the Electoral Commission in the coming days.

“This is yet another shameless attempt to rig this referendum,” the group said. “It is now clear that voting to ‘Leave Go’ of Europe on June 23 is the only way to ensure England wins back the World Cup in 2018.”

Football has shown in the past its power to swing UK election results: holders England's shock quarter-final loss to West Germany at the 1970 World Cup was widely blamed for Harold Wilson’s equally shock defeat at the general election four days later.

A spokesman for ‘Britain Bigger and Better in Europe’, the pro-Remain group, said the Uefa plan was a foretaste of the chaos Britain faced if it left the EU, adding that voters had been given yet another reason to “think very carefully” before stepping through the exit door.

“Anyone who thinks Uefa referees will treat any of the Home Nations kindly after a vote to ‘leave’ on June 23 is deluding themselves,” a spokesman added. “We’ll be shown the red card the first chance they get, guaranteeing German dominance for years to come.”

Exclusive: England to face Euro 2016 ban if Britain votes to leave EU

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Step 4 would be for Britain to nuke Brussels.

I'm voting Leave.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Excellent. You keep believing that.

See, we're on the same side! Different reasons, for sure, but so what?

I just wish I could vote.

Yeah. I WILL keep believing it, because it's true. And that's why I'm voting Leave and hope over 50% of all those who vote do. Britain's future is outside of the economically sclerotic, declining EU, not within it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yeah. I WILL keep believing it, because it's true. And that's why I'm voting Leave and hope over 50% of all those who vote do. Britain's future is outside of the economically sclerotic, declining EU, not within it.
Yep, I agree totally. You're a drooling imbecile, and I think there's a pretty good chance that enough drooling imbeciles will vote to leave to make it happen.

You're a pushy one, Princess. You don't merely insist that everybody agree with you, but that everybody agree with you for the exact same reasons.

You are one deeply insecure little dude.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Yep, I agree totally. You're a drooling imbecile, and I think there's a pretty good chance that enough drooling imbeciles will vote to leave to make it happen.

You're a pushy one, Princess. You don't merely insist that everybody agree with you, but that everybody agree with you for the exact same reasons.

You are one deeply insecure little dude.

The drooling, imbecilic, insecure ones are the Remainers, surely.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
This is pathetic.

The EU: "We're taking our ball and going home if you don't vote the way we want you to". Yep, that's mature.

If Britain leaving is going to be such a bad thing for Britain, then why are the EU bobble heads so concerned about it? It couldn't be that the UK is one of the very few EU countries that still has something resembling a decent economy, could it?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I'm surprised that the FIFI-ites don't want your money and would rather "punish you" for making a democratic decision. I doubt that they would do it to you, not because of any "moral" issues but because there is too much money to be harvested from Brit football fans.

Maybe, though, with a little luck, you will be shunned by the Eurovision Song Contest. We North Americans are awefully grateful for that big North Atlantic when that contest cones around.