NWHL player Denna Laing sustains spinal injury during outdoor game

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
NWHL player Denna Laing sustains spinal injury during outdoor game
The Sports Xchange
First posted: Saturday, January 09, 2016 12:33 AM EST | Updated: Saturday, January 09, 2016 12:39 AM EST
Boston Pride hockey player Denna Laing suffered a "significant spinal injury" during the Outdoor Women's Classic on Dec. 31 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., according to press releases from the National Women's Hockey League, the NHL, the Boston Bruins, the Montreal Canadians, and the Kraft family, which owns Gillette Stadium.
The injury occurred late in the first period when she stepped on a stick and went headfirst into the boards.
"The players, teams, coaches, management and staff of the National Women's Hockey League are united in their support of Denna Laing and her family," NWHL commissioner Dani Rylan said. "To reflect our admiration for her as a player and our appreciation for her contribution to the NWHL's first season, we are working with the Laings, our business partners and others to respond compassionately and appropriately to her injury. We will announce further details as soon as plans are formalized."
According to Laing's parents Dennis and Jerilyn, "Denna has limited movement of her arms and no feeling in her legs. Our prayer going forward is that Denna can be moved from the Intensive Care Unit to a Rehabilitation Center and continue to fight everyday with her trademark grit and resolve."
"Everyone at the National Hockey League, including the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens, joins Denna Laing's coaches, teammates, friends and fans in wishing Denna the very best as she confronts the challenges ahead," the NHL said in a statement. "While we are certain Denna will be served well by the tenaciousness that is her trademark, we also will work with the Laing family to rally the support of the hockey family during Denna's rehabilitation."
Laing's family and friends have set up the website, dennalaing.org, as a way to offer support.
Boston Pride's Denna Laing is wheeled off the ice after being injured during a women's hockey game against the Montreal Les Canadiennes at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass., as part of the NHL's Winter Classic festivities on Thursday, Dec. 31, 2015. (Michael Dwyer/AP Photo)

NWHL player Denna Laing sustains spinal injury during outdoor game | Hockey | Sp

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Severe spinal injury during Winter Classic didn't spoil 'the best day of my life'
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 09:59 PM EST | Updated: Sunday, January 10, 2016 10:03 PM EST
BOSTON - The player who was injured during a women's hockey exhibition before the Winter Classic says it didn't spoil "the best day of my life."
Denna Laing has been hospitalized with a severe spinal injury since crashing into the boards during the Dec. 31 game at Gillette Stadium. Her family said last week that she had limited movement in her arms and no feeling in her legs.
Laing posted 12 pictures on Facebook on Sunday along with her first comments since the injury. She described her excitement about being able to take part in the exhibition.
Then she wrote: "After those first few minutes of skating around tragedy struck. You know the rest.... but I dont want you to feel bad for me. This is a moment to remember for Women's Hockey. We made history that day and I would never take those moments back."
Severe spinal injury during Winter Classic didn't spoil 'the best day of my life