Cold weather 'won't stop' Everton fan Speedo Mick

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A football fan who became a terrace favourite by wearing only swimming trunks at matches has vowed to continue despite the cold weather.

Everton supporter Michael Cullen and his royal blue swimwear have become a regular fixture at home and away games.

And in spite of dipping temperatures, Mr Cullen, aka Speedo Mick, has vowed to carry on for the rest of the season.

Cold weather 'won't stop' Everton fan Speedo Mick

BBC News
30 November 2015

Michael Cullen hopes to spend all season watching games in his trunks

A football fan who became a terrace favourite by wearing only swimming trunks at matches has vowed to continue despite the cold weather.

Everton supporter Michael Cullen and his royal blue swimwear have become a regular fixture at home and away games.

And in spite of dipping temperatures, Mr Cullen, aka Speedo Mick, has vowed to carry on for the rest of the season, although the Speedo-clad Scouser admitted his team's last game, in Bournemouth, had been "freezing".

"It was freezing, and it won't get much better at our next match at Middlesbrough," he said.

The 50-year-old Liverpudlian, who is based in London, said he got the idea after swimming the English Channel.

"I was so proud of myself I thought I would watch a match in trunks," he said.

'Stripping off'

He normally goes fully-clothed through the turnstiles before stripping off inside a ground, he said.

"I get a great response from opposing fans."

Other fans have joined Everton fan Michael Cullen on his fundraising quest. Here he is with a Bournemouth fan at Vitality Stadium during the teams' 3-3 draw in the Premier League on Saturday

Mr Cullen and four fellow Everton fans, who could be as blue as their trunks, will take take on five Middlesbrough fans in a charity relay race at the League Cup tie on Tuesday.

He has raised £8,000 of a £10,000 target for the Woodlands Hospice in North Liverpool.

"A father of a friend of mine had been so well treated in the hospice I wanted to help the charity," he added.

Cold weather 'won't stop' Everton fan Speedo Mick - BBC News

Last edited: