Rugby World Cup 2015

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

The eighth Rugby World Cup kicks off tomorrow at 8pm UK time with hosts England playing Fiji at Twickenham in the opening game.

Pool A

Hosts England

2003 winners (and 1991 and 2007 losing finalists) England, one of the tournament favourites, are in a fairly tough-looking Pool A - the seemingly obligatory tournament Group of Death - along with not only Fiji and Uruguay but also with dark horses Wales and much-fancied, two-time winners Australia. But, with home advantage, the Red Rose will fancy their chances of not only qualifying from the group but also of going all the way.

Australia
England
Fiji
Uruguay
Wales

Pool B

USA

Scotland find themselves in Pool B along with 1995 and 2007 winners South Africa - who are amongst the tournament favourites once again - USA, Japan and Samoa. The USA's three most successful Rugby World Cups have been the 1987, 2003 and 2011 tournaments - in each of win they won one match. Can they better that this time around?

Japan
Samoa
Scotland
South Africa
USA

Pool C

Georgia (above) face a stern test against the might of holders New Zealand

In this pool, World Champions New Zealand - the tournament favourites yet again and surely the team to beat in this year's tournament - should easily top this group as they look to win the tournament for a record third time, with Argentina, Georgia, Namibia and Tonga being the All Blacks' opposition.

Argentina
Georgia
Namibia
New Zealand
Tonga

Pool D

Canada face a tough test to quality from this pool which contains two other fancied sides - Ireland and France. Italy and Romania are also the Maple Leafs' opponents.

Canada will face tough opposition in dark horses France and Ireland

Canada
France
Ireland
Italy
Romania

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Looking forward to it.

Canada is ranked 18th in the world and is in a tough group with France, Ireland, Italy, Romania... all of whom outrank us (although Romania only by one spot). The Canadian team had a rough summer, losing all its matches in the Pacific Nations Cup, and twice to archrival USA. But it's a game team and i'm hoping for some upsets.

It's always a great show. Rugby Union has a unique culture.. the anthems, the war challenges (especially the Haka).. full of passion, colour and excitement.. GO CANADA!

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Looking forward to it.

Canada is ranked 18th in the world and is in a tough group with France, Ireland, Italy, Romania... all of whom outrank us (although Romania only by one spot). The Canadian team had a rough summer, losing all its matches in the Pacific Nations Cup, and twice to archrival USA. But it's a game team and i'm hoping for some upsets.

It's always a great show. Rugby Union has a unique culture.. the anthems, the war challenges (especially the Haka).. full of passion, colour and excitement.. GO CANADA!

The Haka should be banned. It gives the All Blacks an unfair psychological advantage prior to each match.

England coach Stuart Lancaster watches over his lads in training

Looking forward to the opening ceremony live on telly later on this evening. This is to be the biggest Rugby World Cup ever, and is expected to be watched by 4 billion people globally. I'm also looking forward to the opening match as hosts England play Fiji at Twickenham. It should be a belter. That Fiji pack is huge. They've got a few freight trains in their side. However, Fiji have lost in each of the five occasions the two sides have met previously, with England winning 54-12 the last time they met, in November 2012 at Twickenham. But it could well be a lot closer this time around.

Fiji's coach John McKee is a New Zealander

Did you know?

Nemani Nadolo beat 40 defenders for the Crusaders over the Super 15 campaign, one every 24 minutes he was on the field.

Three of England’s match-day 23 – Tom Youngs, Joe Launchbury and Mako Vunipola– made their Test debuts the last time these sides met at Twickenham.

Three more of England’s match-day 23 – Ben Youngs, Courtney Lawes and Tom Wood – won caps at the last Rugby World Cup. Fourteen members of Fiji’s 31-man squad have previous Rugby World Cup experience.

Of the 99 tries to be scored under Stuart Lancaster, five have been penalty tries from scrums.

John McKee’s 15-year coaching career has taken in spells at Clermont, Connacht and Cornish Pirates.

Danger: Front-rower Manasa Saulo is one for England to watch

England

15. Mike Brown, 14. Anthony Watson, 13. Jonathan Joseph, 12. Brad Barritt, 11. Jonny May, 10. George Ford, 9. Ben Youngs; 1. Joe Marler, 2. Tom Youngs, 3. Dan Cole, 4. Geoff Parling, 5. Courtney Lawes, 6. Tom Wood, 7. Chris Robshaw (captain), 8. Ben Morgan.

Replacements: 16. Rob Webber, 17. Mako Vunipola, 18. Kieran Brookes, 19. Joe Launchbury, 20. Billy Vunipola, 21. Richard Wigglesworth, 22. Owen Farrell, 23. Sam Burgess.

Fiji

15. Metuisela Talebula, 14. Waisea Nayacalevu, 13. Vereniki Goneva, 12. Gabiriele Lovobalavu, 11. Nemani Nadolo, 10. Ben Volavola, 9. Nikola Matawalu;1. Campese Ma’afu, 2. Sunia Koto, 3. Manasa Saulo, 4. Apisalome Ratuniyarawa, 5. Leone Nakarawa, 6. Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 7. Akapusi Qera (captain), 8. Sakiusa Masi Matadigo.

Replacements: 16. Tuapati Talemaitoga, 17. Peni Ravai, 18. Isei Colati, 19. Tevita Cavubati, 20. Peceli Yato, 21. Nemia Kenatale, 22. Joshua Matavesi, 23. Aseli Tikoirotuma.

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Uh Oh!

BL's C&Ps getting longer. He's having a REALLY hard time controlling himself.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Go on Blackleaf, ignore the prattle of these wee furry creatures that inhabit this forum.. i and others enjoy your posts.

Even when i don't agree with them.. i love the Haka.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Hubby's into rugby. He can play either Union or League but prefers Union.
I catch a game on occasion (he's in a old farts team. Just local stuff). It's a vastly better game to watch than foolball but REAL football (nicknamed "soccer") is my game.

BTW< BL. Some people pray before starting a game, some folks perform little dances, etc. AB's do the haka, so live with it or ban ALL pregame practises.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
BTW< BL. Some people pray before starting a game, some folks perform little dances, etc. AB's do the haka, so live with it or ban ALL pregame practises.

Some people may pray before games, but not usually whole teams. And praying is a good thing. It isn't about trying to intimidate or threaten the opponent. It's usually just a quiet, private thing. The haka, however, is nothing more than a deliberate attempt to wind-up and threaten and intimidate the opponent - and the thing is, the New Zealanders expect their opponents to just stand there and watch them threaten them.

Back in the 1980s the haka was nothing more than a lame, pre-match ritual and, more often than not, many of the players didn't even know the words to it. Nowadays, it's nothing but embarrassing nonsense and overacting as if they're auditioning for a supporting role on Captain Hook's ship. And they often end the haka nowadays with a menacing throat-slitting motion. Do the All Blacks honestly believe that anyone in the world should respect a team which ends its challenge with a throat-slitting demonstration? It's this sheer disrepect and intimidation of the opposing team which is why many rugby fans want the haka bans. It just goes against common decency and gentlemanly behaviour.

The All Blacks aren't the only ones. The other Pacific rugby nations - Fiji, Tonga etc - have their own pre-match war dances in which they intimidate their opponents yet unfathombably believe their opponents should stand there, take it and respect it. These should also be banned. The Fijians, for example, have the Cibi, and when they performed it last night before the opening World Cup match against England at Twickenham the England fans just drowned out the chanting with a loud rendition of the England team's anthem Swing Low, Sweet Chariot:

By the way, the points system at this Rugby World Cup is a little complicated.

Each team who wins a match is awarded four points. For a draw, both sides are awarded 2 points each. No points are awarded for a defeat. However, a bonus point is awarded if you score four or more tries whether you win, draw or lose; and a bonus point is awarded is you lose by a margin of seven points or less. So, in this group stage, it is entirely possible that a team could lose a match but get one point whereas, in a draw, one team could be awarded three points to the other team's two points!

It's for this reason why England were awarded five points after their victory over Fiji last night - four points for the win and a point for scoring four tries, the last of which came in the very last passage of play, so they only just managed to get that bonus point.

2015 Rugby World Cup

England 35-11 Fiji

England: Tries: Penalty, Brown 2, B Vunipola Cons: Ford, Farrell 2 Pens: Ford 2, Farrell

Fiji: Try: Nadolo Pens: Nadolo, Volavola

At Twickenham. Att: 80,015

Mike Brown scored twice in a stellar display as hosts England beat Fiji in the tournament's opening match at a rainy Twickenham last night​

England were made to work hard by Fiji in their World Cup opener but pulled away in the last 20 minutes to secure a bonus-point win at Twickenham.

Two tries from full-back Mike Brown and the impact of a superior set of replacements saw Stuart Lancaster's men home despite a disjointed display.

Had the Fijians landed their kicks a tense contest could have been significantly tighter still.

England's next match is against Wales at the same venue next Saturday.

And despite a stuttering opening display, England have a platform on which to build as they seek to win the Webb-Ellis trophy for the first time in 12 years.

The match saw a bizarre period of play when Nikola Matawalu, sin-binned after England's penalty try, was denied a sensational breakaway try when television replays showed the scrum-half lost control of the ball in the act of touching it down. Just as he was lining up the conversion, the try was chalked off.

Tom Youngs celebrates with team mates after being awarded a penalty try - the first try of the 2015 Rugby World Cup - in the 12th minute to put England 8-0 up

Fiji were just about to take the conversion for Nikola Matawalu's "try" when the big screens inside Twickenham suddenly showed that he had failed to ground the ball properly, and the try was chalked off

Mike Brown goes over for his second try

Brown celebrates a try

England's Geoff Parling finds himself very much in the thick of the action last night as the 2003 World Cup winners took on Fiji

England: Brown; Watson, Joseph, Barritt, May; Ford, B Youngs; Marler, T Youngs, Cole, Parling, Lawes, Wood, Robshaw, Morgan.

Replacements: Burgess for Barritt (62), Farrell for Ford (62), Wigglesworth for B Youngs (52), B Vunipola for Morgan (52), Webber for T Youngs (74), Brookes for Cole (68 ), Launchbury for Parling (52), M Vunipola for Marler (52)

Fiji: Talebula; Nayacalevu, Goneva, Lovobalavu, Nadolo; Volavola, Matawalu; Ma'afu, Koto Vuli, Saulo, Ratuniyarawa, Nakarawa, Waqaniburotu, Qera, Matadigo.

Replacements: Ravai for Ma'afu (74), Tuapati for Koto Vuli (75), Colati for Saulo (77), Cavubati for Ratuniyarawa (41), Yato for Waqaniburotu (60).

Not Used: Kenatale, Matavesi, Tikoirotuma.

Sin Bin: Matawalu (13).

Att: 80,015

Ref: Jaco Peyper (South Africa).

Watch the highlights of the match:

Read more: BBC Sport - Rugby World Cup 2015: England 35-11 Fiji

Today's fixtures:

Tonga vs Georgia (at Kingsholm, Gloucester. K.O. 12:00)

Ireland vs Canada (at Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. K.O. 14:30)

South Africa vs Japan (Brighton Community Stadium, Brighton. K.O. 1645)

France vs Italy (Twickenham, London. K.O. 20:00)

Last edited:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Ireland 50 Canada 7. Despite more or less realizing the 42 point spread for the match.. it was still a drubbing.

Ireland though is 6 Nations Chamion and considered by many a real threat for the Web Ellis Trophy. But i expect a more cohesive effort from our boys as the tournament continues.

quote- Blackleaf - It isn't about trying to intimidate or threaten the
opponent. It's usually just a quiet, private thing. The haka, however, is
nothing more than a deliberate attempt to wind-up and threaten and intimidate
the opponent - and the thing is, the New Zealanders expect their opponents to
just stand there and watch them threaten them.

Well England doesn't seem particularly intimidated by the Haka.. sending up this video shamelessly mocking it (with the 'Hakarena'.. how English!) .. much to the outrage of Maoris and New Zealanders who deem it part of their culture.

England rugby player Matt Dawson sparks outrage in New Zealand by mocking haka | Daily Mail Online

i say to all who find themselves quaking in their boots, and quivering in fear for their lives at the cannibal appetites of the Haka.. if you can't stand the Rugby heat.. find yourself another game (or pot to boil in). :roll:

It should be noted that as part of the etiquette of the challenge.. the All Blacks.. or Fiji.. or Tonga.. always approach the Captain of the opposing team prior to the match to get his team's acceptance to receive the challenge. Presumably if they refused it would not be given.. but to my knowledge it has never been refused.. so much for opponents being 'forced' to stand there and be threatened. Good grief the whole thing lasts less than a minute... talk about making a mountain out of mole hill.

Meaning and origins of the Haka

http://www.allblacks.com/Teams/Haka

original version Haka

Ka Mate! Ka Mate! Ka ora! Ka ora!
Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei I tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa … ne! ka upa …ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!
Translation:
I die! I die! I live! I live!
This is the hairy man
Who fetched the sun
And caused it to shine again
One upward step! Another upward step!
An upward step, another… the sun shines

optional version of the All Black Haka - usually performed since 2006

kia whakata hoki au i ahau
hi aue, hi
ko aotearoa e ngunguru nei
au! au! aue ha!
ko Kapa O e ngunguru nei
au! au! aue ha!
i ahaha
ka tu te ihiihi
ka tu te wanawana
ki runga i te rangi e tu iho nei, tu iho nei
ponga ra!
Kapa O Pango!
ponga ra!
Kapa O Pango!
aue hi!

Let me go back to my first gasp of breath
Let my life force return to the earth
It is New Zealand that thunders now
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The passion ignites!
This defines us as the All Blacks
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The anticipation explodes!
Feel the power
Our dominance rises
Our supremacy emerges
To be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
aue hi!

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ireland 50 Canada 7. Despite more or less realizing the 42 point spread for the match.. it was still a drubbing.

Ireland though is 6 Nations Chamion and considered by many a real threat for the Web Ellis Trophy. But i expect a more cohesive effort from our boys as the tournament continues.

Anyone who thinks Ireland will win this World Cup needs their brain taken out by a spade and a new one inserted. They may be one of the stronger teams in the tournament but I don't think they'll go all the way - despite what the arrogant Irish rugby fans believe. Beating Canada 50-7 is one thing. A true measure of how good this Ireland side - who are the Six Nations champions - are will be when they come up against one of the big boys: the likes of New Zealand, England or Australia.

Well England doesn't seem particularly intimidated by the Haka.. sending up this video shamelessly mocking it (with the 'Hakarena'.. how English!) .. much to the outrage of Maoris and New Zealanders who deem it part of their culture.

England rugby player Matt Dawson sparks outrage in New Zealand by mocking haka | Daily Mail Online

i say to all who find themselves quaking in their boots, and quivering in fear for their lives at the cannibal appetites of the Haka.. if you can't stand the Rugby heat.. find yourself another game (or pot to boil in). :roll:

It should be noted that as part of the etiquette of the challenge.. the All Blacks.. or Fiji.. or Tonga.. always approach the Captain of the opposing team prior to the match to get his team's acceptance to receive the challenge. Presumably if they refused it would not be given.. but to my knowledge it has never been refused.. so much for opponents being 'forced' to stand there and be threatened. Good grief the whole thing lasts less than a minute... talk about making a mountain out of mole hill.

Meaning and origins of the Haka

The Haka | allblacks.com | allblacks.com

original version Haka

Tenei te tangata puhuru huru
Nana nei I tiki mai
Whakawhiti te ra
A upa … ne! ka upa …ne!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!
Translation:
This is the hairy man
Who fetched the sun
And caused it to shine again
One upward step! Another upward step!
An upward step, another… the sun shines

optional version of the All Black Haka - usually performed since 2006

kia whakata hoki au i ahau
hi aue, hi
ko aotearoa e ngunguru nei
au! au! aue ha!
ko Kapa O e ngunguru nei
au! au! aue ha!
i ahaha
ka tu te ihiihi
ka tu te wanawana
ki runga i te rangi e tu iho nei, tu iho nei
ponga ra!
Kapa O Pango!
ponga ra!
Kapa O Pango!
aue hi!

Let me go back to my first gasp of breath
Let my life force return to the earth
It is New Zealand that thunders now
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The passion ignites!
This defines us as the All Blacks
And it is my time!
It is my moment!
The anticipation explodes!
Feel the power
Our dominance rises
Our supremacy emerges
To be placed on high
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
Silver fern!
All Blacks!
aue hi!
I'll have to say again that it's time the hake was banned. It is an act of aggression and intimidation against the opposing side which goes against all the gentlemanly conduct and proper sporting behaviour that we are taught should be upheld within sport. It's for this reason why it baffles me and, probably, most other rugby fans why the IRB allows it.

One particularly odious example of the way the IRB allows the New Zealand players to try to intimidate the opposition by performing the haka, but do NOT like it when the opposing team which is on the receiving end of this attempted intimidation stands up to the haka, was in the 2011 World Cup Final in New Zealand between New Zealand and France when, during the haka, the French formed a V-shaped formation and stepped in unison beyond their 10m line and over the halfway line and slowly advanced towards the haka-performing New Zealanders. And what was the response of the IRB! They later fined the French, who lost that Final 8-7, £2,500, much to the general bemusement and bafflement of rugby fans.

The IRB fined the French for slowly advancing towards the haka before the 2011 World Cup Final at Eden Park in Auckland. So the New Zealanders are allowed to intimidate their opponents by performing the haka, but opponents are not allowed to stand up to it!

It really is time the haka was banned. New Zealand cannot keep giving themselves an unfair pschological advantage by performing an intimidating war dance in which they threaten to slash their opponents' throats. And, if it won't be banned, it should at least be reduced back to what it used to be back in the 1970s and 1980s: a brief and harmless diversion, an amusement for the team and the crowd, a silly little dance in which have the New Zealand side can't even remember the words, with none of the disgusting throat-slitting gestures that now accompany it.

I was watching the Under-20 All Blacks perform their Haka in the lead up to their match with South Africa and it was pathetic.

It started off as the usual Haka, after a somewhat longer than necessary introduction before the Kamate bit, but the last motion was a threatening, and slow, slitting of the throat.

I wanted to throw things at the TV.

New Zealanders want their Haka to be treated with respect. Do they honestly believe that anyone in the world should respect a team which ends its - until then - tolerated and sometimes respected challenge with a throat-slitting demonstration.

Respect goes both ways. How stupid do the New Zealand rugby authorities believe their opponents to be?

It has really surprised me that they allowed the Under-20's to go with their Haka.

It's such embarrassing nonsense with earnest, gleeful, and plainly naïve young men doing their best to overact as if auditioning for supporting roles as pirates on Captain Hook's ship: Captain Cook would have been embarrassed.

Ok, so they will argue that it is "tradition".

Even supposing that most sporting traditions are barely 100 years old at most, when humankind had populated most ice-free parts of the world some 12,000 years ago, this is not tradition.

It's the evolution of what was a rather lame pre-match ritual that existed in my day and has evolved into a one-way wind up. In the 1980s some All Blacks didn't even know the words.

Rugby is a psychological game: players cool down after the anthems and then have to get themselves up for kick off, and, lo and behold, just before kick off one team gets to gather, shout a lot, slap thighs and threaten the other team.

I don't mind a Haka that is about respect.

But, firstly with the introduction of the new one a few years ago which they then ditched, and now with the Under-20's having attended too many drama classes, it shows no respect.

And respect is a fundamental part of the game, while expecting a team to watch you threaten them smacks of a lack of respect.

Plus, you can't invent tradition; unless I am misunderstanding a fundamental aspect of tourism.

Are New Zealanders really proud of this?

BBC - John Beattie: The Haka is losing its charm

Samoa VS USA has kicked off at midday at Brighton Community Stadium in a Pool B match. Samoa lead 11-0.

Samoan captain Ofisa Treviranus plays his club rugby for London Irish in England's Aviva Premiership.

Line-ups

Samoa: Tim Nanai-Williams; Ken Pisi, Paul Perez, Reynold Lee-Lo, Alesana Tuilagi; Tusi Pisi, Kahn Fotuali'i; Ofisa Treviranus (capt), Jack Lam, Maurie Fa'asavalu; Iosefa Tekori, Teofilo Paulo; Anthony Perenise, Ole Avei, Sakaria Taulafo.
Replacements: Motu Matu'u, Viliamu Afatia, Census Johnston, Faifili Levave, Alafoti Faosiliva, Vavao Afemai, Mike Stanley, Fa'atoina Autagavaia.

United States: Blaine Scully; Takudzwa Ngwenya, Seamus Kelly, Thretton Palamo, Chris Wyles (capt); AJ MacGinty, Mike Petri; Samu Manoa, Andrew Durutalo, Al McFarland; Greg Peterson, Hayden Smith; Titi Lamositele, Zach Fenoglio, Eric Fry.
Replacements: Phil Thiel, Oli Kilifi, Chris Baumann, Cameron Dolan, Danny Barrett, Shalom Suniula, Folau Niua, Brett Thompson.

Samoa are leading USA 11-0

Today's other fixtures:

Pool C: New Zealand vs Argentina

Venue: Wembley Stadium, London Date: Sunday, 20 September Kick-off: 16:45 BST

Holders and tournament favourites New Zealand are putting out a full-strength side in this Pool C encounter at Wembley, fielding the most experienced international XV in history.

Steve Hansen's side feature 1,013 Test caps in the starting line-up and a further 316 on the bench.

Tony Woodcock will equal Englishman Jason Leonard's record of 104 Test starts as a prop.

The Pumas, who have not beaten the All Blacks in 21 Tests, have seven World Cup debutants in their starting XV.

Eight of the New Zealand XV started the World Cup final four years ago, when the All Blacks beat France 8-7. Richie McCaw will lead his country for the 143rd time.

Match stats

The All Blacks are the only top-tier nation Argentina have never beaten

The All Blacks have won 20 and drawn one of their 21 Tests against Argentina

Argentina drew 21-21 against the All Blacks in Buenos Aires in 1985

Since winning the World Cup on home soil in 2011, the All Blacks have played 47 Tests, winning 42, drawing two and losing three

The average score between the sides in Tests is 41-13

New Zealand: Ben Smith; Nehe Milner-Skudder, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea; Dan Carter, Aaron Smith; Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt), Jerome Kaino; Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick; Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Tony Woodcock
Replacements: Keven Mealamu, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Victor Vito, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Beauden Barrett, Sonny Bill Williams

Argentina: Joaquin Tuculet; Santiago Cordero, Marcelo Bosch, Juan Martin Hernandez, Juan Imhoff; Nicolas Sanchez, Tomas Cubelli; Leonardo Senatore, Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe, Pablo Matera; Tomas Lavanini, Guido Petti; Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Agustin Creevy (capt), Marcos Ayerza
Replacements: Julian Montoya, Lucas Noguera, Ramino Herrera, Mariano Galarza, Juan Manuel Leguizamon, Martin Landajo, Jeronimo De La Fuente, Lucas Gonzalez Amorosino

BBC Sport - Rugby World Cup 2015: All Blacks at full strength for Argentina

Pool A: Wales vs Uruguay

Venue: Millennium Stadium, Cardiff, Date: 20 September Kick-off: 14:30 BST

(Many English fans must think it rather unfair that, even though England is supposed to be the host nation, the IRB have allowed, for some reason, some matches to be played at Millennium Stadium in Wales - including, even more incredibly, some WALES matches, with Wales having actual home advantage.)

Wales have the easiest start in the World Cup group of death, but captain Sam Warburton is determined not to let his team's standards drop.

Minnows Uruguay - ranked 19th in the world - are Sunday's Pool A opponents at the Millennium Stadium.

Wales are expected to win comfortably but, in the most competitive pool, Warburton is calling for ruthlessness.

"We will go with our foot down for the full 80 minutes," said the 2013 British and Irish Lions captain.

Match stats

Wales and Uruguay have never met at senior level, but Wales A beat them 66-22 in 2001 in a match which saw Shane Williams and Gavin Henson score tries.

Gethin Jenkins, Wales' most capped player and a member of the current squad, was on the bench for that game.

Wales captain Sam Warburton was sent-off after 17 minutes of the 2011 semi-final against France which Wales lost 9-8.

Uruguay have won two World Cup matches - against Spain in 1999 and Georgia in 2003.

Wales currently lie fifth in the World Rugby rankings, with Uruguay 19th.

Teams

Wales: Liam Williams (Scarlets); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Hallam Amos (Newport Gwent Dragons); Rhys Priestland (Bath Rugby), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Paul James (Ospreys), Scott Baldwin (Ospreys), Samson Lee (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Luke Charteris (Racing 92), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), James King (Ospreys).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Tomas Francis (Exeter Chiefs), Dominic Day (Bath Rugby), Dan Lydiate (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Gloucester Rugby), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Morgan (Bristol Rugby).

Uruguay: Gaston Mieres; Santiago Gibernau, Joaquin Prada, Andres Vilaseca, Rodrigo Silva; Felipe Berchesi, Agustin Ormaechea; Alejo Corral, Carlos Arboleya, Mario Sagario, Santiago Vilaseca (capt), Jorge Zerbino, Juan Manuel Gaminara, Alejandro Nieto, Matias Beer.
Replacements: German Kessler, Oscar Duran, Mateo Sanguinetti, Franco Lamanna, Agustin Alonso, Juan De Freitas, Alejo Duran, Francisco Bulanti.

BBC Sport - Rugby World Cup 2015: Wales v Uruguay

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Personally, the way I look at it, if it's your OP....not a such big deal...but if you slap a C&P in the middle of a thread and it's a really long C&P then that is really nothing more than a dick move.

brev·i·ty
ˈbrevədē/
noun
noun: brevity
concise and exact use of words in writing or speech.
synonyms:conciseness, concision, succinctness, economy of language, pithiness, incisiveness, shortness,

If someone wants to read what the writers at the Daily Mail or the CBC or CNN or Fox News want to say, they'll visit the respective website. If they're coming here, one expects they're more interested in what forum members have to say. Reference whatever you need to in order to make a point, whatever....but show some consideration for the other members of this forum.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's my thread.

Result

Pool B

Samoa 25-16 USA

Samoa: Tries: Nanai-Williams, Treviranus, Pens: Pisi 4, Stanley

USA:
Tries: Wyles, Baumann. Pens: MacGinty 2

At the American Express Community Stadium, Brighton

Samoa narrowly overcame USA in their World Cup Pool B encounter in Brighton, as the Americans were eventually punished for their ill discipline.

The Eagles gave away a succession of penalties at the breakdown as Samoa dominated possession, allowing Tusi Pisi to kick 12 points.

Tim Nanai-Williams and Ofisa Treviranus crossed for the Pacific Islanders either side of half-time.

Chris Wyles and Chris Baumann touched down in reply, but Samoa held firm.

Samoa are looking to reach the quarter-finals for the first time since 1995 and face South Africa in their next pool match next Saturday.

USA's indiscipline is shown by the 14 dark dots showing penalties conceded by the Eagles, compared to just seven by the victorious Samoans (light dots)

Meanwhile, in England's Pool A, Wales lead Uruguay 28-9 at half-time at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. I still think it unfair that, even though England are the host nation, Wales get to play some games at their home stadium.

BBC Sport - Rugby World Cup 2015: Samoa 25-16 United States

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Last edited by a moderator:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Unbelievable. It is not "your" thread.

You have been asked, you have been asked nicely, politely, on numerous occasions.

You got a one week vacation because you would not compromise.

Why do you insist on being so unreasonable? It's very childish behaviour.

This is a discussion forum, not a blog where you can create glossy magazine spreads. There has been a growing, sizable portion of the membership who have difficulty reading the threads because of the excessive size of your cut and pastes. So it has to be cut down. This is not negotiable.

For those that enjoy looking at 5x7 pictures and reading 48pt font, provide them with a hyperlink. Then everybody is getting at least some of what they want.

Nobody is telling you not to post, what you are being told to do is be considerate of others.

And you're being given every chance to demonstrate that you're actually an adult and to manage this on your own. If however you insist upon behaving like a child, you will be treated like one. I will edit, delete or close threads, and suspend your posting privileges, if I have to, don't make me do that.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
12-16 to Argentina now. Another upset is in the offing. Let's hope the big boys keep falling whilst England keep winning.

BBC 5 live Sport
5liveSport

89,019 at Wembley for #NZL v #ARG is a record attendance for a Rugby World Cup match #RWC2015 #bbcrugby