Toronto Blue Jays

Mowich
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

I would try to re-sign Benoit, Cecil, Floyd and Navarro. The rest can walk. Only Navarro would be a concern to me if they weren't re-signed.

I'm kind of iffy on Brett Cecil - didn't have a great season though he did pick it up a bit in the play-offs. Really happy to hear that Grilli was a 'no brainer'.

Cleveland is continuing to Rock. 6-0 victors in game 1.

Yeah...........they put on a great show last night. Kluber was really outstanding and Lindor continues to delight. I'm actually cheering for the Cubbies since they have an even longer absence from the WS and a win then the Tribe. That said, no matter who wins history will be made.

IdRatherBeSkiing
Quote: Originally Posted by MowichView Post

I'm kind of iffy on Brett Cecil - didn't have a great season though he did pick it up a bit in the play-offs. Really happy to hear that Grilli was a 'no brainer'.

Yeah...........they put on a great show last night. Kluber was really outstanding and Lindor continues to delight. I'm actually cheering for the Cubbies since they have an even longer absence from the WS and a win then the Tribe. That said, no matter who wins history will be made.

I usually cheer for AL unless they really suck (Yankees, Red Sox or last year's Royals). I am also a baseball traditionalist which means the Cubs should always lose.

Mowich
Was a tad worried about Jake's pitching in the first couple of innings..............then the bats came to life for the Cubbies and he settled down. Almost the reverse of yesterday's game so far. Good to see Chicago ahead 5 zip in the 5th. GO CUBBIES!

I usually cheer for AL unless they really suck (Yankees, Red Sox or last year's Royals). I am also a baseball traditionalist which means the Cubs should always lose.

Ludlow got me interested in the Cubbies - hadn't paid them any mind until he started writing about them. Did a bunch of reading about their history and their record in the play-offs and their inability to get to the WS reminded me a bit of my Riders. Seemed a good fit.

Yeah Cubbies............only allowed 5 hits in the game and tied the series.

Mowich
Blue Jays got themselves another slugger today

The Toronto Blue Jays have reportedly made their first major signing of the off-season acquiring designated hitter Kendrys Morales (external - login to view).

Morales put up a .263/.327/.468 line last season with 30 home runs and 93 RBI for the Kansas City Royals. He was not tendered a qualifying offer by the team, meaning the Blue Jays will not give up any draft pick compensation as a result of the signing.

Report: Blue Jays to sign Kendrys Morales to 3-year 33M deal - Sportsnet.ca (external - login to view)

.........and in other Jay's news...........

Donaldson wins second straight Silver Slugger

Blue Jays 3B likely to finish in top 10 in AL MVP voting for fourth consecutive year

Blue Jays' Josh Donaldson named Silver Slugger | bluejays.com (external - login to view)

Happy to see Morales joining the team and many congratulations to Josh Donalds...........well deserved award.

IdRatherBeSkiing
I think this signing likely means one of Batista and Edwin will not be back.

Mowich

I think this signing likely means one of Batista and Edwin will not be back.

Bye, bye Joey...........welcome home Eddy.

spaminator
Jimmy Fallon invites Blue Jays' Joe Biagini on the Tonight Show for a high-five
First posted: Saturday, November 19, 2016 01:01 PM EST | Updated: Saturday, November 19, 2016 01:36 PM EST
Jimmy Fallon doesn't like to leave you hanging -- especially if you happen to be a Toronto Blue Jays relief pitcher.
The Tonight Show host said during the monologue for Friday's show that he had been taking some criticism for missing a high-five with an audience member and he decided to make things right.
That audience member just so happened to be Blue Jays reliever Joe Biagini.
So he had the pitcher, who's just coming off his rookie season, back on the show to set things right.
Blue Jays reliever Joe Biagini and Tonight Show host Jimmy Fallon share a high-five on the Nov. 18, 2016 show. (YouTube/The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon)

twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/799835323702378496 (external - login to view)

wwwyoutubecomwatchvAUzY0-fbDjc

Jimmy Fallon invites Blue Jays' Joe Biagini on the Tonight Show for a high-five

IdRatherBeSkiing
Brett Cecil is now a St. Louis Cardinal if you believe the stuff coming off the sports ticker.

Mowich

Brett Cecil is now a St. Louis Cardinal if you believe the stuff coming off the sports ticker.

Cardinals gain..............Jays loss? Big topic on Tim and Sid today, IRBS. Left-handed relievers at premium in the league..........and the Jays trade away Brett..............? Wish him all the best. Really beginning to wonder what this team will look like come spring.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
So Jays are after Fowler. It will be a good fit given the loss of both Encarnacion and Batista. Hopefully they land him. The whole Edwin scenario is weird. I think he wanted to stay but get some money. He got surprised by how fast the Jays moved on and expected back and forth. Now he is pretty much going to be scrambling to find a new home. I am not particularly happy with how the Jays handled it but I guess it is their choice. The strange part of the whole thing is apparently they are talking to Batista now. If they had to sign one, it should have been Edwin. They are weak at 1B next season although they do have a free agent signing to platoon with Smoak.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Jays find themselves weak at 1B, short an OF, no lefthander from the pen, no improvements in pitching. They have taken the typical Rogers approach to save $$$$. At least they will spare us the heartbreak of losing the ALCS this year. I'd say 3rd in the AL East is likely attainable with this squad (baring any more major signings).

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Until it actually happened, despite already having filled both positions EE could play, I had a faint hope he would return. No longer. EE is now a Cleveland Indian signing a 3 year deal with a 4th year team option worth less than the offer the Jays made and he turned down.

I wish him luck in Cleveland. It is a sad day however.

Mowich

Until it actually happened, despite already having filled both positions EE could play, I had a faint hope he would return. No longer. EE is now a Cleveland Indian signing a 3 year deal with a 4th year team option worth less than the offer the Jays made and he turned down.

I wish him luck in Cleveland. It is a sad day however.

Sad day indeed, IRBS as I too held out hope that he would remain a Blue Jay. I hope he does well with Cleveland.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
Jays are apparently aggressively negotiating with Joey B. Both team and players have had a horrible offseason and expect some sort of face saving signing to try to whitewash the egg on their respective faces.

Curious Cdn
Yay Jays!

They're having an incredible season!

Go Jays Go!

Mowich

Jays are apparently aggressively negotiating with Joey B. Both team and players have had a horrible off-season and expect some sort of face saving signing to try to whitewash the egg on their respective faces.

My hopes that the Jays will be able to field a winning team this year drop further every month. They get rid of a player that the majority of fans loved and wanted to see back and now they are in talks with Joey who fans didn't mind seeing leave the team. I've given up trying to figure out what management's plan is and now tend to believe they are just winging it.

spaminator
spaminator
Curious Cdn
Does he carry a bat?