Cfl 2015

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

The top 10 reasons the Saskatchewan Roughriders suck

10. Crummy history

In 96 seasons, the Roughriders have won the Grey Cup a pathetic three times - less than every team in the CFL, including three defunct franchises. The Bombers, meanwhile, have played in the big game a CFL-record 23 times in 80 seasons, winning on 10 occasions.

9. Crummy players

The Bombers have 39 members of the CFL Hall of Fame, while the Riders have just 19.

8. Winnipeg's whipping boys

The CFL record book is filled with tales of Winnipeg's dominance over Saskatchewan:

- Biggest shutout: Winnipeg 56, Saskatchewan 0 (July 5, 1986)

- Largest margin of victory by a road team: Winnipeg 61, Saskatchewan 8 (Aug. 29, 1959)

- Most kicks blocked in one game: 3 by Winnipeg vs. Saskatchewan (Sept. 13, 1992)

7. Did we mention crummy history?

The Riders would have to go on a 77-game winning streak to raise their all-time record to .500. The Bombers, meanwhile, would have to lose 56 in a row to fall to that level. To reach the Riders' current level of all-time ineptitude, the Bombers would have to go 7.5 seasons without a victory.

6. Their recent history isn't that great, either

The Riders just finished losing to the Edmonton Eskimos, arguably the worst team in the CFL.

5. Biggest current "star" is terrible

Quarterback Darian Durant has the most interceptions, worst completion percentage and lowest passer rating of any full-time starting QB in the league. In his last five games, Durant has thrown four touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

4. Biggest past "star" was terrible

Of course, crummy quarterbacking is nothing new in Regina. Their "greatest" all-time passer, Ron Lancaster, threw a CFL-record 396 interceptions in his career - 115 more than the next-most-careless QB. He threw 63 fewer TD passes than picks.

3. Nobody good works there ... for long

While Winnipeg steals promising coaches (Paul LaPolice, Kavis Reed) away from Saskatchewan, the Riders hire castoffs (Doug Berry, Jim Daley) who weren't good enough for the Bombers.

2. A ground squirrel is not a gopher!

Their mascot is Gainer the Gopher - perhaps the only species of rodent that DOESN'T exist in Saskatchewan.

1. A watermelon is not a hat

This is simple stuff, people.

Do we have a lot of football fans on CC??

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

The top 10 reasons the Saskatchewan Roughriders suck

10. Crummy history

In 96 seasons, the Roughriders have won the Grey Cup a pathetic three times - less than every team in the CFL, including three defunct franchises. The Bombers, meanwhile, have played in the big game a CFL-record 23 times in 80 seasons, winning on 10 occasions.

9. Crummy players

The Bombers have 39 members of the CFL Hall of Fame, while the Riders have just 19.

8. Winnipeg's whipping boys

The CFL record book is filled with tales of Winnipeg's dominance over Saskatchewan:

- Biggest shutout: Winnipeg 56, Saskatchewan 0 (July 5, 1986)

- Largest margin of victory by a road team: Winnipeg 61, Saskatchewan 8 (Aug. 29, 1959)

- Most kicks blocked in one game: 3 by Winnipeg vs. Saskatchewan (Sept. 13, 1992)

7. Did we mention crummy history?

The Riders would have to go on a 77-game winning streak to raise their all-time record to .500. The Bombers, meanwhile, would have to lose 56 in a row to fall to that level. To reach the Riders' current level of all-time ineptitude, the Bombers would have to go 7.5 seasons without a victory.

6. Their recent history isn't that great, either

The Riders just finished losing to the Edmonton Eskimos, arguably the worst team in the CFL.

5. Biggest current "star" is terrible

Quarterback Darian Durant has the most interceptions, worst completion percentage and lowest passer rating of any full-time starting QB in the league. In his last five games, Durant has thrown four touchdowns and 11 interceptions.

4. Biggest past "star" was terrible

Of course, crummy quarterbacking is nothing new in Regina. Their "greatest" all-time passer, Ron Lancaster, threw a CFL-record 396 interceptions in his career - 115 more than the next-most-careless QB. He threw 63 fewer TD passes than picks.

3. Nobody good works there ... for long

While Winnipeg steals promising coaches (Paul LaPolice, Kavis Reed) away from Saskatchewan, the Riders hire castoffs (Doug Berry, Jim Daley) who weren't good enough for the Bombers.

2. A ground squirrel is not a gopher!

Their mascot is Gainer the Gopher - perhaps the only species of rodent that DOESN'T exist in Saskatchewan.

1. A watermelon is not a hat

This is simple stuff, people.

Do we have a lot of football fans on CC??

Well that'll tick off Mowich.

You're screwed now.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Well that'll tick off Mowich.

You're screwed now.

Not to worry, SLM.............us Rider fans have pretty thick skins...........we have to with our history. LOL!

GO RIDERS!

Stamps will be kickin' @ss and takin' names tonight

Not a bad game at all, Cap. Hamilton came out of the gate with the interception return for TD by Sears then the fab punt return by Banks putting them ahead early in the game. Bo Levi threw 3 interceptions in the game with Sears being the recipient of two of them but he showed what Huf had been looking for when he handled the adversity well by completing 22 of 35 passes for 263 yards and a TD. There were a couple of highlight reel catches in the game - one by Raymond's pick on Collaros was a beaut. Fuller deserves honorable mention for the Stamps with 148 yards in the game. Zach completed 27 of 38 passes for 281 yards.

But Rene was the hero of the night when he put one through the uprights from 50 yards out and no time on the clock to give the Stamps their first win of the season. Congrats to the Stamps and better luck next time to the Cats.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Took the wife out for a burger and a beer at a local establishment last night and the Argos were home to the Eskies on the telie. I thought it was a replay since the sky at the game was clear and I knew that it was pissing rain in TO at the moment we were in the pub. But that didn't make sense to me either. When I got home I did some research and realized that it was a live game being played in Fort Mac way up in the boonies of Alberta. Why was Toronto the home team?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Took the wife out for a burger and a beer at a local establishment last night and the Argos were home to the Eskies on the telie. I thought it was a replay since the sky at the game was clear and I knew that it was pissing rain in TO at the moment we were in the pub. But that didn't make sense to me either. When I got home I did some research and realized that it was a live game being played in Fort Mac way up in the boonies of Alberta. Why was Toronto the home team?
Scheduling issues at Rogers Centre and the Pan American Games in Toronto in July will keep the Argonauts on the road. Their first home game isn't until Aug. 8.
So the Argos were the home team Saturday despite the game's proximity to Edmonton 400 kilometres to the southwest.

Argonauts down Eskimos in 'home opener' - Article - TSN

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Man those Argos - you just can't keep them down. They have to have the worst fans in the CFL - ever notice that when they do get to play at 'home' TSN tries to make sure there are no shots of the stands? - that's because there are so many empty seats. For years they have had to share a stadium with other sports teams until finally, finally this year it was announced that they will move to BMO field - next year. Their star QB and a legend in the CFL is once again side-lined with injury, they are fielding a bunch of rookies.............and they are sent to the Hinterland to play their season opener.

One might think that this all would add up to a lack-luster performance but these are the Argos and they are coached by, IMO, one of the best guys in the league - Scott Milanovich.

Yesterdays win over the Eskimos - albeit that the latter had several glitches of their own - was just wonderful. If Trevor Harris can keep performing like he did yesterday and the young guys can keep improving, this Argo team has a real chance to become Grey Cup contenders - and to heck with the fans and no home field.

First game of the season - too early to say?.............maybe but if the team stays healthy - no easy feat with players dropping like flies this past weekend, I do believe they have what they need to go all the way.

Shout-out to Fort McMurray fans - all that cheering must have been music to the ears of the Argo players. Thank you for showing them so much support.

CONGRATULATIONS TORONTO ARGONAUTS - WELL DONE!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The CFL lost yet another quarterback in the opening game of Week 2. Drew Willy was taken out of the game after suffering a tremendous blow to the head. He actually looks like he was knocked right out and he was down for awhile. With Willy gone, the Bomber fortunes tanked and Hamilton whupped them 52 - 26.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
If Calgary isn't taking penalties - seven so far with just over 9 minutes to go in the 2nd Q, their receivers are dropping balls or Bo is missing the mark. It has not been an outstanding first half for the Stamps. Montreal is ahead 10 - 0 right now. I am still finding it a bit strange to see Nik Lewis and Freddy Stamps in Alouette unifroms but they seem to have settled in just fine. Nik especially is having a good night.

Montreal is going with rookie QB Rakeem Cato who is having a pretty darn good night. Their rushing game and kick/punt returns is being handled primarily by Tyrell Sutton and he's close to, if not over 100 yards tonight which brings me to one of the new rule changes.

Players are not allowed to leave their positions until the ball is actually kicked this year. This change is making for some really exciting returns on punts and kicks. I like it.

Samuel Giguere just made an outstanding one-hand catch for a 1rst down in the red zone. Flag on the play, Huff is challenging that Giguere was out-of-bounds on the play and thus ineligible to play ...........however, it looks as though Calgary's Bennett pushed him out. The play is under review. The catch is good.

Nik Lewis just got his first TD as an Al!

Bo Levi is 5/12 and 70 yards in the first half - not normal numbers for Bo. I wonder if Bo is having thoughts of those three interceptions he had last week as he is overthrowing some of his receivers.

Rene Paredes misses one from inside the 30 and that's an example of how Calgary's fortunes are faring in this game so far.

Half-time:
Montreal 16* - Calgary 0

*Montreal got a TD, went for the 2 points and came away with just the 6.

Missed 3rd Q - had a couple of pooches to visit and feed up the road a bit. Montreal picked up 3 more points and Calgary got on the board with 3 - Rene must have come through this time. The Bede just kicked another 3 points onto the scoreboard for Montreal.

Good to see AC on the sidelines. He has a coaching position with the team this year.

Final score: 29 - 11 Montreal

Rock on Montreal!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm curious what kind of BC Lions team will show up tonight.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
First half is just starting. An absolutely hard-hitting match with huge story lines, spectacular pics, amazing tackles and circus catches. I know that because Rod Black said so. He is completely in disbelief.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I'm curious what kind of BC Lions team will show up tonight.

Not the team I was expecting, Kreskin. Thank heavens the refs are wearing headphones this year or the game would have gone on till midnight with all the penalties - on both sides, mind you. Not what I was expecting of Lulay either.

The hometown boy, Brad Sinopoli had himself one heck of a night - with his Mum and Dad cheering in the stands. I was cheering for the Redblacks all the way - good for the league if they can get some wins under their belts and two in a row is a great start to their season. Hank still leaves me shaking my head though.........I just never know if he is going to throw a connection or a pick........he does love to throw into heavy coverage. Go Redblacks.

First half is just starting. An absolutely hard-hitting match with huge story lines, spectacular pics, amazing tackles and circus catches. I know that because Rod Black said so. He is completely in disbelief.

Ah, another fan of Roddies, I see. LOL! The guy is such a doofus.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I sure hope that Trevor Harris can stay healthy and whole cause he is a lot of fun to watch. Grant it, this was not his best game, but it was not a bad one either. He shows a lot of promise, poise and maturity in his role as starter for the Argos. He doesn't get rattled. He's not a show boat. He doesn't run with the ball. But he sure can throw some beautiful passes with pinpoint accuracy. The Argos are very lucky to have him on their team.

Really and truly, someone has to step up and do something about the endless penalties. Midway through the 4th Q tonight, Calgary had racked up a total of 117 yards ending the night with over 147. The Argo's record was somewhat better - they saved a lot of theirs until the final half. If the majority of penalties were due to the new rules, I might be more understanding but they aren't. They are penalties that have been on the books for ages. These guys should know better. Mind you, it sure doesn't help the situation when the refs screw it up as they did tonight when they called pass interference on Calgary with less than two minutes left in the 4th Q and Calgary in the red zone. Replay showed no interference whatsoever. That penalty resulted in Calgary having to settle for a 3-point FG.

There were some excellent plays by both sides tonight. The drive by Calgary from their own eight yard line that resulted in a TD was beautifully executed. I do think that overall the teams were fairly evenly matched, though the Calgary O-line was missing some key players. Calgary had the better running game whereas TO relied on the pass and very little rushing.

There were a total of 5 TOs in the game, the last was the result of a 3 and 10 attempt by the Argos with 50 seconds on the clock in the final quarter which gave the ball back to Calgary and with that the win.

Calgary 25 - Toronto 20

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ah, another fan of Roddies, I see. LOL! The guy is such a doofus.
I don't like listening to him because I feel embarrassed for him. In some ways I blame the lousy rules and officiating on guys like him. Game after game he throws honey and sugar on everything, when he should be honest for once in his career and call out the league for the ridiculous penalty situation. The game is going to hell in a handbasket and he just continues to live on cloud 9.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I don't like listening to him because I feel embarrassed for him. In some ways I blame the lousy rules and officiating on guys like him. Game after game he throws honey and sugar on everything, when he should be honest for once in his career and call out the league for the ridiculous penalty situation. The game is going to hell in a handbasket and he just continues to live on cloud 9.

I get annoyed by most of them, Kreskin. Cuthie and the Suit (Cuthbert and Suitor) drive me up the wall - especially Suitor as he drones on and on about his latest pet peeve. Even Mattie gets to me when he is a game announcer - one would think he just got off the plane from the South the way his accent comes back when he is calling a play. However, it is Roddie that get my ire the most. He is a lousy announcer as I witness every time TSN gives him a figure skating event. He is so darn negative. When he calls a CFL game, I usually turn the sound off so I don't have to listen to him as it is not good for my blood pressure.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It's TSN. CBC was much much much better.

It's too bad CBC Sports can't divorce itself from the Mother Corp for the one thing the network does get right is sports. You are so right that they did a better job, petros. TSN gets some things right then blunders with others - like their choice of on-field announcers.

I was not a happy camper when TSN decided to pull Duthie off the Panel replacing him with that chubby twit whose name I can never remember. He tries too hard. I enjoy the Panel and I have learned a lot from Coaches Corner with LaPo - TSN got that right - if they would just leave it alone.

I am really enjoying CBC's coverage of the Pan Am Games.

Watched your news again tonight - very happy to hear about the rain especially up North.