petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
First game of the regular season tonight for my Riders at home in Mosaic to play the visiting Winnipeg Blue Bombers who have not had a sterling record in the stadium with 11 consecutive losses - take that Boomer. Their last victory in Mosaic was way back in 2004 with Kevin Glenn at the helm. Kevin now backs up Darian for the Riders. Corey Chamberlain has coached the Riders to three consecutive opening season wins and we all hope that trend continues tonight. And, in another note to Boomer here is an interesting little statistic - in all 3 season-opening starts under Corey, Darian completed 54 of of 78 passes for a total of 697 yards, 8 TDs and one interception giving him a 128.9 pass-efficiency rating.

The team will be with out TBrack and Weston Dressler who are out with undisclosed injuries. Macho Harris will fill in for TBrack and Ryan Smith will take-over Weston Dressler's position.

TSN broadcast starts at 5PM PST - 8PM for Easterners.

GO RIDERS! ROCK THE HOUSE GUYS!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Can't win 'em all. Bombers 30 - 26 Riders.

Even worse, DD is hurt.

Mowich, petros, please let me know as soon as you find out how bad DD's injury is.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
This had to be the best game I have seen the Bombers play in years both offensively and defensively - they were on tonight. Unfortunately they were playing my Riders who did not fair so well. DD was taken out with a leg or ankle injury late in the 2nd Q after leading the team to two TDs in the first half. Kevin Glenn aka Mr Reliable, came in as primary back-up. His first series of the 3rd Q saw Jerome Messam into the end zone for TD and Getz grabbing the 2-point convert. All seemed well in Riderland, we were ahead 22 to 15. A missed FG that went for a single point gave the Riders an 8-point lead but Winnipeg would come back with 8 of their own to end the quarter with the game tied at 23 apiece. Chris Milo would add another 3 points to the scoreboard but it was not enough as the Bombers found the end zone taking a 4 point lead that would give them the win as the whistle blew to end the quarter.

Final score: 30 - 26 Bombers

Drew Willy had fabulous night. But it was Paris Cotton who really led the team especially in the 4th, he was all but unstoppable. Congratulations to the Bombers on breaking the drought.

So this makes three starting QBs out in their opening games of the regular season. Crompton in Montreal, Reilly in Edmonton and Darian. Speedy recovery guys.

Can't win 'em all. Bombers 30 - 26 Riders.

Even worse, DD is hurt.

Mowich, petros, please let me know as soon as you find out how bad DD's injury is.

Will do but I usually just check the Regina Leader Post, TSN/CFL and the Rider forum.

I think Kevin Glenn looks great back in a Rider uniform. I have long had a soft spot for Kevin and am really happy he is with us again. He will have better nights.

Word has it, it was an achilles.

We need a running back. Allen sucks.

I was pretty impressed with that punt return and a few other plays. But you are right, Anthony is good at what he does but having someone like Cotton or Banks in Hamilton sure would give us a boost.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Reilly's knee ligaments can't be too well after that hit. Almost looked like Joe Theisman.

Durant, WTF? Glenn had a lousy year last year but he also had a lousy OL. With some protection who could be effective, although getting a little long in the tooth.

Good to see DD looking healthy. And good to see Allen, my former Raven.
Did you curse DD? I'll bet that injury happened right after you posted.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Achilles tendon. Thank God we have Glenn.

Willy managed to deak Chick twice. Luck. Pure bullsh!t luck.

Well Kevin will finally have his chance to be the number one starter for a team instead of just the back-up. I feel so sorry for Darian. An entire season gone due to injury.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well Kevin will finally have his chance to be the number one starter for a team instead of just the back-up. I feel so sorry for Darian. An entire season gone due to injury.
I'm pleased that Kevin Glenn has his shot. I can't forget that Trent Dilfer, a career mediocrity, took over the QB job for the Ravens halfway through the season, and won the Super Bowl, an outcome only possible in the weird, counter-reality world of sports.

So all the best to Kevin Glenn. You've waited patiently for your day in the sun. Here it is. Make it happen. Bon chance!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
First OT of the year and the Riders are in it as Owens get the Argos a TD to tie the game with 3 seconds on the clock in the 4th Q.

Score is 28 - 28

It has been a strange night for the Riders and at times I doubted they would get this far. For all the fabulous plays, the penalties they took were excruciating. Young Ryan Smith was simply outstanding - he will have a least one highlight reel catch and how he survived the fall is beyond me. Another Smith, our short-yardage QB didn't do so badly himself getting a few important 1rst downs and a TD.

Jerome Messam was a monster though Allen was a bit of a disappointment. Weston, Rob and Getz showed up when they needed to and Kevin had a great night. He threw one interception but his ability to escape tackles giving his receivers time to get downfield saved our bacon several times tonight.

Discipline was the biggest problem and they lost us valuable yards and field position way too many times.

1rst OT

Tyrell Maze might have cost us the game with the helmet to helmet hit on Trevor Harris. He can thank our defense for stopping Harris on the two-point conversion attempt giving us another chance and a 2nd OT. Score now 34 - 34.

Toronto gets the ball first as Sask had it in the first OT.

TBrack costs us TD by the Argos with a forward pass interference call. The Argos are good on the two-point conversion. 42 - 34 TO

Smith gets us a first down but is shaken up on the play though he walked off the field.

Well hell, there you got Kevin to Getz TD. Talk about the depths of despair to the heights of glory and right back again as Getz misses on the 2-point conversion.

Argo's win it. 42 - 40.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Smith's leaping grab, and holding onto it as he came down like a ton of bricks, was the best damn catch I've seen in 50 years!

I am still amazed that he got up and walked away, Tec. The way he fell, I was sure he had done something to his neck, head or shoulder...........tough little booger that Ryan.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Smith's leaping grab, and holding onto it as he came down like a ton of bricks, was the best damn catch I've seen in 50 years!

As soon as I got home from the game I had to see that and some of the other plays. That and the Argos that scored the game winner.

We need a running back ASAP.

And wise up on penalties. They cost us the last two games.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As soon as I got home from the game I had to see that and some of the other plays. That and the Argos that scored the game winner.

We need a running back ASAP.

And wise up on penalties. They cost us the last two games.

It really makes me angry when I see vets take penalties, pete, especially pass interference and objectionable conduct ie hits to the head. They are the ones who should know better and be setting an example for the rookies. And you are right, they cost us the games. Corey better start laying down the law or it will be a very short season for our guys.