whom the foul fiend vexes. There could I have him now- and there-
and there again- and there!

--King Lear III.4.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Tom Brady was suspended for showing up Roger Goodell, not deflating footballs

Tom Brady will not play in the first four games of the New England Patriots 2015 season. The defending Super Bowl champion will be without its star quarterback after the NFL found Brady participated in “conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL” when he “was at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities” of two low-level members of the Patriots staff who deflated footballs below legal levels.

All of this adorable legal verbiage is a convoluted way of saying Brady messed with the wrong guy.

Call him a cheater if you’re so inclined, call him a liar, call him smug, call him a purveyor of the finest Uggs, but none of these infamous titles are at the heart of Brady’s suspension. He was suspended because he was dumb.

In the days leading up to the Super Bowl, Brady stood before throngs of reporters and denied knowing or caring about the balls he was throwing. Owner Robert Kraft said he expected an apology when the investigation concluded. Bill Belichick distanced himself from the whole thing.

Brady’s demeanor and his claims brought a swift and visceral reaction. Mark Brunell nearly broke down live on ESPN when he heard Brady’s dismissive explanation.

“I did not believe what Tom Brady had to say,” Brunell said on ESPN. “Those balls were deflated. Somebody had to do it. And I don’t believe there is an equipment manager in the NFL that would on his own initiative deflate a ball without the starting quarterback’s approval.”

As the NFL conducted an investigation into the allegations, Brady was notably uncooperative.

“[T]he report documents your failure to cooperate fully and candidly with the investigation, including by refusing to produce any relevant electronic evidence (emails, texts, etc.), despite being offered extraordinary safeguards by the investigators to protect unrelated personal information, and by providing testimony that the report concludes was not plausible and contradicted by other evidence,” NFL executive vice president of football operations Troy Vincent wrote to Brady.

This suspension isn’t about deflating footballs, cheating, or one man’s struggle with the truth. It all boils down to arrogance. Not Brady’s arrogance alone, but NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s, and the entire Patriots’ organization. New England was fined $1 million because they thought they were bigger than Goodell.

New England is a team that has broken the rules without remorse before. Brady is the star of his generation. Goodell is a man with virtually unchecked power.

Goodell is calling the shots. His shots are arbitrary and erratic more often than not, but they are the decisions the NFL has empowered him to make. Brady knew going into this investigation what was at stake. He knew as a result of Goodell’s struggle to dole reasonable punishment in the past, he would come down even harder in the future. He knew all of this and chose to smirk his way through it all.

Tom Brady might be a cheater and a liar. If there is one thing to be sure of, it’s that he’s been incredibly stupid.

Tom Brady was suspended for showing up Roger Goodell, not deflating footballs | For The Win

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
To be fair, nobody pays him to be un-pompous. He's one hell of a QB.

And I say that as a founding member of the "I Hate Brady" club.

I just now wonder how many of his 'hell of a QB' moments have been achieved by underinflation or other trickery. That wondering feels good.

I thought I was the founding member. Perhaps just the Canadian division.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
To be fair, nobody pays him to be un-pompous. He's one hell of a QB.

And I say that as a founding member of the "I Hate Brady" club.

And he will always be remembered as that, and also a lying cheat.
Guess what comes up first in topics?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So Eagle, your argument is "we're cheating scum, but some others are too, so it's OK?"

BTW, I think an appropriate punishment would be to strip Tom Brady of his wife, and send her on down to me.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So Eagle, your argument is "we're cheating scum, but some others are too, so it's OK?"

Nope. I'm just not seeing the "more probable than not" as definitive proof. Nice effort though T!

Whereas this year the Panthers and Vikings were caught on camera heating the footballs on the sideline and they got... a warning. lol

So with all the silliness and saltiness going around... I'm just going to have fun with all of this.

Unfortunately nobody has striped the Patriots of their titles. Only that little * after their name in a lot of our minds. * are free to distribute and I can add it to the 49ers wins too (at least the ones where Rice made a catch).

Not all though.

You just got mad the cheating Seahawks lost. That's all.

Last edited: