Is this the greatest goal ever scored?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Scottish midfielder Charlie Adam surely scored what will be remembered as one of the Premier League's greatest ever goals yesterday, a sublime shot which rocketed in from 66 yards out, showing once again why football is dubbed the Beautiful Game.

In the match between league leaders Chelsea and Stoke City at Stamford Bridge yesterday, the Stoke City midfielder
picked up the ball deep into his own half and belted it with his reliable left foot after noticing Chelsea's Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois well off his line.

The shot, travelling at 45.1mph, was hit with such power that the back-pedalling Courtois was unable to deflect the ball away despite getting his fingers to it.

Chelsea had been leading thanks to a penalty from Eden Hazard before Adam produced his moment of genius.

Chelsea went on to win the match and take another three points on their way to watch is surely a fifth league title for them - but few will be talking about the result after witnessing a contender for best Premier League goal ever.

Speaking after the game, Adam said: 'On a personal note it is a great goal to score. I saw the keeper off his line, had an effort and it has gone in.

'I always have a look at the goalkeeper because these balls move so much. When you have got that much space and time it is good to do something like that.

'It was great to get back into the game, but we lost it and that is three on the bounce and we need to come back against West Ham next week.'

Adam's own-half goal is reminiscent of that scored by a young, fresh-faced David Beckham for Manchester United against Wimbledon in 1996. The goal catapulted him into the limelight, with him eventually becoming the world's most famous modern footballer.

Where does it rank amongst the best goals ever? Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam stuns Chelsea (and embarrasses their goalkeeper) with 66-yard SCREAMER

The Stoke player stunned Chelsea faithful with breathtaking strike
Scottish midfielder picked ball up deep into his own half before shooting

The goal is already been hailed as one of the best ever on social media

By Jack Crone for MailOnline
5 April 2015
Daily Mail

It will be remembered as one of the Premier League's greatest ever goals.

Stoke's Charlie Adam stunned the Chelsea home crowd yesterday with a breathtaking 66-yard strike that will go down in history.

The Scottish midfielder picked up the ball deep into his own half and belted it with his reliable left foot after noticing Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois well off his line.

Sublime: The midfielder's goal will go down in history as one of the greatest the Premier League has seen

Best ever? Stoke's Charlie Adam, pictured on the left, scores from 66 yards against Chelsea yesterday. The ball can be seen at the top of the image

Stunning strike: The Scottish midfielder picked up the ball deep into his own half and belted it with his reliable left foot after noticing Chelsea goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois well off his line

The shot, travelling at 45.1mph, was hit with such power that the back-pedalling Courtois was unable to deflect the ball away despite getting his fingers to it.

Chelsea had been leading thanks to a penalty from Eden Hazard before Adam produced his moment of genius.

The Blues went on to win the match - but few will be talking about the result after witnessing a contender for best Premier League goal ever.

Speaking after the game, Adam said: 'On a personal note it is a great goal to score. I saw the keeper off his line, had an effort and it has gone in.

'I always have a look at the goalkeeper because these balls move so much. When you have got that much space and time it is good to do something like that.

'It was great to get back into the game, but we lost it and that is three on the bounce and we need to come back against West Ham next week.'

Adam later told the BBC: 'I never knew I had that much power, to beat a quality goalkeeper like that is something special. Once in a lifetime this can happen to you.'

The strike is already being hailed as one of the greatest in the Premier League's history on social media and has been compared to other legendary long-range strikes from David Beckham and Xabi Alonso.

Beckham famously scored from his own half against Wimbledon in 1996 - a goal that catapulted him into the limelight.

Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso, renowned for his long-range efforts, scored from 70 yards in 2006 while playing for Liverpool against Newcastle.

Another of the Premier League's great long-range efforts came from a Stoke player when goalkeeper Asmir Begovic scored from 91 yards in 2013.

The strike has now been registered as the 'longest goal scored in football' in the latest edition of the famous book of records.

It came just 12 seconds after kick-off - catching the wind and bouncing over opposite number Artur Boruc into the net.

Watch Charlie Adam's stunning strike here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0N7UiiuE_44

Floundering: The shot was hit such power that the back-peddling Courtois was unable to deflect the ball away despite getting his fingers to it

66-yarder: The goal is already being hailed as one of the best ever on social media and has been compared to other legendary long-range strikes from David Beckham and Xabi Alonso

Finished in a heap: As it sailed into the net the goalkeeper came tumbling in after in an embarrassing moment he will want to forget

ADAM'S 66-YARD STRIKE JOINS LIST OF LEGENDARY LONG RANGE GOALS

Charlie Adam's stunning 66-yard belter has caused a stir on social media and will no doubt be remembered as one of the finest Premier League goals ever. Here are some of the legendary long-range strikes the goal is being compared to:

David Beckham, Man Utd v Wimbledon 1996

Beckham truly announced himself on the scene when he scored from just inside his own half against Wimbledon in 1996. After taking a pass from Brian McClair, Beckham hit it from the halfway line to leave keeper Neil Sullivan stranded.

David Beckham scored from behind the half-way line in a Premier League match against Wimbledon in 1996

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udez65Q2Mig&feature=player_detailpage

Xabi Alonso, Liverpool v Newcastle 2006

The Spanish maestro struck from from deep inside his own half, producing a moment of brilliance with a 70-yard shot that left the slipping Steve Harper groping air.

Former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso takes aim from 70 yards out against Newcastle in 2006

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DuZd0n8MqWs

Asmir Begovic, Stoke v Southampton 2013

Stoke goalkeeper Begovic scored in bizarre fashion at the Britannia Stadium in 2013 when a long kick forward - just 12 seconds after kick-off - caught the wind and then bounced over opposite number Artur Boruc into the net.

The 91-yard strike is in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest goal ever scored in football.

Goalkeeper scores: Begovic scored in bizarre fashion at the Britannia Stadium in 2013

It came just 12 seconds after kick-off - catching the wind and bouncing over opposite number Artur Boruc into the net

Watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QW_zQVPh4HI

Read more: Is this the greatest goal ever? Stoke midfielder Charlie Adam scores 66-YARD screamer from inside his own half in Premier League match against Chelsea* | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It was his third goal of the season, and his unlucky 13th goal for Stoke City since he joined them from Liverpool in 2012.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not much into sports anymore but use to like football basketball and baseball. Have to say though,,,watching soccer is almost as boring to me as watching golf. But that's just me and I probably didn't have to say this but I did because I'm being a tur*

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
to me, nothing will top Carlos Alberto's PK to tie it in the 1978 playoff game that was ultimately won by the Kaiser:

[youtube]ltxUGW5Or48[/youtube]

note the size of the crowd of 78000 - in those days the Cosmos could take on any European team and the crowd was every bit as knowledgeable and fanatical as European or Latin American crowds

How I wish those days had never ended. Had we continued that momentum the USA would be World Cup champions several times over.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Discrimination isn’t new to European football, or soccer. The sport has long struggled with racism, a problem which resurfaced recently when Chelsea fans pushed a black man off the Paris metro, chanting: “We’re racist, we’re racist, and that’s the way we like it.”

One of this season’s worst episodes came when fans of the London club West Ham were caught on camera chanting “I’ve got a foreskin, how about you? F—ing Jew” on their way to play Tottenham Hotspur, a team with a historically strong Jewish following. (Last year, several Tottenham supporters were arrested for chants referring to themselves as “Yids,” a derogatory name that some Hotspur fans have reclaimed.)

Nazi chants at Dutch soccer game expose an ugly blot on ‘the beautiful game’ - The Washington Post

Hundreds of Chelsea football fans went on the rampage in central Paris tonight, smashing up cafes and shops before a key European cup tie.

The worst of the violence was in Rue St Denis, a popular tourist street full of pubs and bars.

Some 400 thugs could be seen making 'Sieg Heil' salutes and chanting racist abuse before they started attacking Paris St Germain fans.

Chelsea fans go on violent rampage through Paris ahead of European clash | Daily Mail Online

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Discrimination isn’t new to European football, or soccer. The sport has long struggled with racism, a problem which resurfaced recently when Chelsea fans pushed a black man off the Paris metro, chanting: “We’re racist, we’re racist, and that’s the way we like it.”

Bugger off, Red Indian eejit. Why don't you go and chuck a spear, or something? Or do a rain dance. Maybe there are some animal spirits that you have to please today. Or maybe you need to shrink somebody's skull.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Get your head out of your a$$, BL, the greatest goal ever scored was by a Canadian in a HOCKEY game against the Soviets back in 1972.

Don't you mean hockey on ice - which nobody cares about?