Deflate Gate

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm sure everyone has heard about it. Some time on gameday between the referee's inspection of the balls and the start of the game most of the the New England Patriots footballs deflated below the rule limit. This would make it easier to grab the ball. Anyone who has thrown fully inflated and partially-deflated balls would understand that it can be advantageous let some of the air out.

But the coach and QB have no knowledge of how this could have happened.

Troy Aikman, multi-time Super Bowl champ with the Dallas Cowboys, feels this is more serious than the Bounty-gate scandal with New Orleans, because the action gave a competitive advantage. (The coach of New Orleans was suspended for one year).

If it had been a close game it would be even more serious. Frankly they could've played with beach balls and still beat the Colts.

Everyone But New England Thinks the Patriots Are Lying

A few days ago Seahawks Cornerback Richard Sherman said Tom Brady has the squeaky clean image but they know otherwise (he was just stirring it up).

Richard Sherman Discusses Tom Brady Video - ABC News

Oh well, makes for a storyline going to the Super Bowl.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
They don't use the same balls. NE lobbyed to have the rules changed a few years ago. Both teams bring their own balls.

I never figured the game out too well but when one team throws the ball both teams try to catch it so I don't see much advantage.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I never figured the game out too well but when one team throws the ball both teams try to catch it so I don't see much advantage.
That's not much of an issue. It isn't too often that the defence has a chance to catch a pass of any kind (intercept).

If a QB can be more effective with a delfated ball then his own offence can be more productive. Less incomplete passes.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Much ado about nothing. Even if true, New England won 45-7. Even accepting that deflating the balls gave them an advantage, it wouldn't be a 38-point advantage. Assume it's true and take away three touchdowns from New England. They still win 24-7.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Much ado about nothing. Even if true, New England won 45-7. Even accepting that deflating the balls gave them an advantage, it wouldn't be a 38-point advantage. Assume it's true and take away three touchdowns from New England. They still win 24-7.

They cheated. It's irrelevant how much they won by.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
They don't use the same balls. NE lobbyed to have the rules changed a few years ago. Both teams bring their own balls.

That is correct - the league allows them to use their own footballs.

There was some talk that Brady claimed he could not tell the difference in weight of the ball. But that is pure bunk. Fran Tarkenton was interviewed and he said any QB can easily tell the difference. And I know that is true from my days of playing touch football in the school yard as I was the ball owner in my touch football club.

In the old days we used single wing exclusively - spread formation was not used in amateur ball. Therefore, every RB held the ball and used the option pass where possible - that means we had to feel the ball in hand, not just on our arms. I could tell immediately if the ball was deflated in any way. I was also team punter and could tell from kicking the ball whether it had lost air. For Brady to say he could not tell that the ball was deflated is a blatant lie.

Belicheat isn't called that name for nothing. He got caught with the goods and is deserving of a stiff sanction.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
True. They didn't need tp throw it. They ran the ball at will. But the fact the rules were broken in an underhanded way, and them denyng any inolvement, makes them once again look like cheaters and liars.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
True. They didn't need tp throw it. They ran the ball at will. But the fact the rules were broken in an underhanded way, and them denyng any inolvement, makes them once again look like cheaters and liars.

Cheaters and liars with a shot at another Super Bowl ring.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

When a rusher holds a deflated ball it is easier to grip and far less likely to be fumbled. This can have a huge impact on the game and can easily help a cheater like Belicheat win.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

That to me is the reason that there is this mess. The NFL should supply the balls. End of issue. Imagine if each baseball team supplied their own balls. How non-crooked would that game be?

And I don't for a minute believe a so called great QB would not know that the ball felt funny in his hand. Pretty Boy is a big liar.

I also maintain if Belecheat and CryBaby had said Monday morning :"We screwed up. We made a mistake", NE would have been fined $25K (them maximum fine for this offense) and the issue would have been dead. But their constant denials and bellyaching have kept this alive.

Quite frankly, at this point, I do not believe any New England victory since Bellecheat became coach is a legitimate victory. To me it is obvious that they are all tainted with one form of cheating or another. Fool me once, shame on me,. Fool me twice, shame on you.

Go Seattle.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It seems odd to me that the league doesn't supply the balls.

I saw someone refer to Brady as Shady Brady lol.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
The NFL should employ full time referees so that every single part of the game can be fully under their control. This way the ball and all safety equipment can be fully inspected and used only if it passes every test at a 100% satisfactory rate.