"Rugby is wild": How the US reacted to their side's rugby thrashing by New Zealand

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
"Rugby is wild": How the US reacted to their side's rugby thrashing by New Zealand

The USA rugby union team came up against the mighty New Zealand All Blacks at Soldier's Field in Chicago on Saturday - and were, not surprisingly, thrashed 74-6 by the greatest rugby union nation on Earth.

But whilst the Yanks may not have have liked seeing their side's thrashing at the hands of the world champions in front of 60,000 fans, they were left very impressed by the sport of rugby union - even though many of them did not understand the rules of the game.

Yanks took to Twitter to sing the praises of the brutal sport, with many of them also telling followers how they were left awestruck by the haka, the Maori war dance performed by the New Zealand All Blacks before the start of every match, which is very familiar to millions of people in the established rugby union nations but was something which seemed to take the Americans by surprise.

'Rugby is pretty wild,' Dylan Jones posted.

While Dylan Jones added that: 'rugby is crazy'.

Others confessed that they loved watching the match despite not understanding the tactics of the game.

Patrick McDonald was curious what the TV ratings were when the match aired as the stadium was packed.

'While I had no idea what the hell was going on, enjoyed it.'

'Know absolutely nothing about Rugby,' Eddie Mannix posted. 'But The All Blacks beat the living daylights out of the USA.'

Jay Pedro wants to see more rugby on the TV screens in the U.S.

'More rugby on TV please that was awesome to watch. I have never watched a rugby game before but I will watch them now.'

And, of course, the mega famous ritual of the team performing the haka impressed the American fans no end.

'Hands up who thought they'd see that in there [sic] lifetime?'

'We are so glad the rules are explained for us:' US reaction to watching the All Blacks thrashing their rugby side

New Zealand All Blacks beat US Eagles 74 - 6 at Soldier's Field in Chicago
American fans expressed their love for the game on Saturday
But many supporters admitted to knowing very little about Rugby Union
Twitter followers want to see more of the game they don't understand

By Leesa Smith for Daily Mail Australia
2 November 2014
Daily Mail Australia

American rugby fans may not have understood was going on when the All Blacks played the US Eagles but they loved what they saw all the same.

The Kiwis smashed the U.S team 74 - 6 at the Soldier's Field in Chicago on Saturday in a test match in front of 60,000 excited fans.

Despite the annihilation, most American supporters took to Twitter expressing their new-found love of the Rugby Union game while conceding they had no knowledge of the game's rules.

Americans loved the New Zealand All Blacks vs US Eagles match but found it hard to follow the rules

American fans were in awe of the tough Rugby Union game

Some American fans were simply in awe of the game that is Rugby Union.

'Rugby is pretty wild,' Dylan Jones posted.

While Dylan Jones added that: 'rugby is crazy'.

Others confessed that they loved watching the match despite not understanding the tactics of the game.

Patrick McDonald was curious what the TV ratings were when the match aired as the stadium was packed.

'While I had no idea what the hell was going on, enjoyed it.'

'Know absolutely nothing about Rugby,' Eddie Mannix posted. 'But The All Blacks beat the living daylights out of the USA.'

Patrick admits to loving the game despite not understanding the game

Another fan who pleads ignorance when New Zealand played America on Saturday night

Former heavyweight boxer Sonny Bill Williams - who has also represented New Zealand in rugby league - playing at Soldier's Field in Chicago on Saturday in a test match in front of 60,000 fans

Jay wants to see more after watching his first-ever rugby match

Yet another tweet expressing no knowledge of what a game of rugby involves

The New Zealand All Blacks performing the haka against France in the 2011 Rugby World Cup Final at Eden Park in Auckland, which New Zealand won 8-7:

All Blacks vs France Haka 2011- RWC Final - YouTube

While Rugby Schedule expressed relief that NBC was filling viewers on how the game works.

'We're so glad @nbc are explaining the rules for us.'

Anthony G suggested America would have a better chance of winning if they played baseball against New Zealand instead.

'I don't know Rugby but I see USA lost 74-6 vs All Blacks. I do know one thing. Thats a blow out. Now New Zealand should play us in baseball.'

Jay Pedro wants to see more rugby on the TV screens in the U.S.

'More rugby on TV please that was awesome to watch. I have never watched a rugby game before but I will watch them now.'

And of course the mega famous ritual of the team performing the Haka impressed the American fans no end.

'Hands up who thought they'd see that in there [sic] lifetime?'

The mega famous ritual of the team performing the Haka impressed the American fans no end

Terrifying: The All Blacks performing the haka to the US Eagles before trouncing the American side

Last edited:

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Re: "Rugby is wild": How the US reacted to their side's rugby thrashing by New Zealan

This reminds me, I think what we really need around here is some kind of medical insurance plan to cover us for the inevitable carpal tunnel we will all get one day in our scrolling fingers. Seriously, we should gather some signatures on that. ;)

Alright, darling? Seen much of the Three Billy Goats Gruff, lately?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Re: "Rugby is wild": How the US reacted to their side's rugby thrashing by New Zealan

Don't forget to laugh SLM......it's supposed to be a hilarious British joke......Har Har!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Don't forget to laugh SLM......it's supposed to be a hilarious British joke......Har Har!

Oh I never stop laughing when it comes to this guy, believe me. I'm rather surprised you can't hear me all the way at your place. Lol.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Lots of interesting games today in real football. Starts about 1PM eastern ... or for Blackie 30 minutes after tea and crumpets.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

What I see are the former Colonies still have manners and respect for a sport, even when their country loses. They stood up and praised the winning team. Now that is what they call civilized, and being a good sport.
To the US fans- well done.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Lots of interesting games today in real football. Starts about 1PM eastern ... or for Blackie 30 minutes after tea and crumpets.

There's nothing interesting about American "football". I'd rather watch snail racing. It's a lot more action-packed.

America fell in love with football at the recent World Cup in Brazil. It's also starting to like rugby union now. Those silly sports the Yanks have been playing for ages will be long forgotten about 20 years from now.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

The All Blacks!! They'll eat you up and sh it you out. Gives me the shivers

here's them doing a Haka before a match with Canada 2013

Maori All Blacks Haka vs Canada 2013 - YouTube

Victory celebration after a match

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

It's not just New Zealand who have their own pre-match war dance.

Samoa players do the Manu Siva Tau befroe every match. So when New Zealand and Samoa play each other fans are treated to both war dances:

Manu Samoa Haka Vs All Blacks Nz Haka - YouTube

Tonga also do one:

Tonga Rugby Wardance - YouTube

And New Zealand, Samoa and Tonga also do these war dances in rugby league, too.

Many rugby fans of rival nations are calling for the dances to be banned as they think it gives the Kiwis, Samoans and Tongans an unfair advantage.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Many rugby fans of rival nations are calling for the dances to be banned as they think it gives the Kiwis, Samoans and Tongans an unfair advantage.

an unfair advantage? by essentially dancing and chanting? I'd say it's an advantage they should have if the other team is intimidated by it.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc

I don't pretend to understand the game because I lack an interest in it.
Same as this new wf whatever I prefer the old fashioned boxing to that.
The trouble is the Americans miss a lot of things remember the blue line
hockey so they could follow the puck?
I am happy they admit this time they don't know the game but are willing
to learn about.
Sport is the one place the world can get along and come together for a
collective cause

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

This reminds me, I think what we really need around here is some kind of medical insurance plan to cover us for the inevitable carpal tunnel we will all get one day in our scrolling fingers. Seriously, we should gather some signatures on that. ;)

Oh I never stop laughing when it comes to this guy, believe me. I'm rather surprised you can't hear me all the way at your place. Lol.

Sucks to be you 2. This was a great article. Too bad ya's can't see past your own prejudices.

There's no comparison when it comes to Rugby and NA football, and if anyone is from the "tea and crumpet" set, it would be NA football. They may as well be wrapped in 12" of bubble wrap for the amount of padding they use.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Why can't the other team do it? What's stopping them?

Nothing, it's sore losers whining. Trying to come up with any excuse as to why they lost other than the opposing team being better.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Why can't the other team do it? What's stopping them?

Do the likes of England, France, Scotland and Italy have national war dances?