Fallen Soldiers Honored at Canadian Sporting Events

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was a relief to cry tears of pride rather than sorrow as I watched fans, players, coaches and dignitaries of both the CFL and the NHL raise their voices in the singing of our national anthem this past weekend. From the Ottawa Senators to the Ottawa Redblacks and across the country, football and hockey fans stood tall, strong and proud as they honored WO Patrice Vincent and Corporal Nathan Cirillo. Well done CFL and NHL.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
very moving...the faces of the soldiers during the singing of O'Canada...very emotional

I am glad to see that both soldiers were recognized. I am feeling bad for Patrice Vincent. He has been a bit over shadowed. His family too have a great loss to bear.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Fallen Soldier Patrice Vincent Served His Sick And Injured Comrades

As Canada takes time to honour Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, Canadians are also being asked to remember Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, who worked to help sick and injured veterans and soldiers.

Vincent was struck by a car and killed on Monday in an attack in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu in Quebec. The man who ran him down, Martin Couture-Rouleau, was killed by police. He was on a terror watchlist and has been described by the government as "radicalized."

A member of the Canadian forces for 28 years, Vincent worked in the Joint Personnel Support Unit at the Integrated Personnel Support Centre. Part of Veterans Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence, the centres work to help veterans and current soldiers deal with injuries, return to the workforce and apply for benefits and services from the government.

Vincent spent much of his career working as a military firefighter across the country, serving in Valcartier, Comox, Halifax, Trenton, Esquimalt, Edmonton, North Bay and Montreal.

He had recently undergone open-heart surgery, according to QMI agency, and was considering the next phase of his life.

Vincent's cousin Sylvain Guerette, a former soldier himself, told CBC News that Vincent was thinking about retirement. Guerette said his cousin was considering working with him as a cabinetmaker.

"He was the kind of guy who was devoted to everybody. He was the guy who never [made] any noise, but always ready to help everybody,” Guerette told CBC.

Guerette said Vincent's twin sister and mother are struggling to deal with his death.

A funeral is planned for next week.

Fallen Soldier Patrice Vincent Served His Sick And Injured Comrades

I expect that we will be hearing more about WO Vincent this week when his funeral is held, Sal. He has not been forgotten by any means and was mentioned, along with Corporal Nathan Cirillo, at every single ceremony held to honor them.