Momma Grizz charges boat full of bow hunters...

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I'm glad he had presents of mind to NOT shoot her. Momma's just doing her job and I kind of think these guys should have known that 3 cubs by the side of the stream means momma is got to be close by.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'm glad he had presents of mind to NOT shoot her. Momma's just doing her job and I kind of think these guys should have known that 3 cubs by the side of the stream means momma is got to be close by.
Oh they had a good idea, that's why he had his side arm at the ready.

The rivers not that big, you can only avoid the wild side so much.

Killing a mother towing cubs is the last thing ethical hunters want to do.

We've come across cubs a couple times along the French. Mind you we're on a large body of water and able to move further from the island or shore line to give them space. But there are times that you just don't have a choice when travelling the back country.

I travel quietly in and out of my stands, and we have bears here now. I carry bear bangers and a knife on my pack strap. I'd rather not have to use either.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Oh they had a good idea, that's why he had his side arm at the ready.

The rivers not that big, you can only avoid the wild side so much.

Killing a mother towing cubs is the last thing ethical hunters want to do.

We've come across cubs a couple times along the French. Mind you we're on a large body of water and able to move further from the island or shore line to give them space. But there are times that you just don't have a choice when travelling the back country.

I travel quietly in and out of my stands, and we have bears here now. I carry bear bangers and a knife on my pack strap. I'd rather not have to use either.

What are bear bangers?

We do a lot of hiking and back packing. I hate the idea of doing something stupid, that could cause a bear it's life. So far, I have had no encounters with bears while hiking. We make a lot of noise. The only bears I've encountered were 1 on the streets in the burbs. A yearling trying desperately to get back into the bush. I felt so bad for him. He was scared. 2nd bear was at Burnaby Lake! The middle of Burnaby! Walked out from the lake side and across the path. He was busy ambling and didn't give us more then a glance. The dogs were quiet, seemed they knew better or are blind as bats.

I would love to do an eco tour up in Bella Coola or Alaska and see the bears. Hopefully one day.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What are bear bangers?
This is the one I carry...

Tru Flare Bear Bangers - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

We do a lot of hiking and back packing. I hate the idea of doing something stupid, that could cause a bear it's life. So far, I have had no encounters with bears while hiking. We make a lot of noise. The only bears I've encountered were 1 on the streets in the burbs. A yearling trying desperately to get back into the bush. I felt so bad for him. He was scared. 2nd bear was at Burnaby Lake! The middle of Burnaby! Walked out from the lake side and across the path. He was busy ambling and didn't give us more then a glance. The dogs were quiet, seemed they knew better or are blind as bats.
Noise is your best defence. Bear bells work good, I spent my childhood wearing them every spring and fall.

Being mindful of the time of year and local populations is another good idea.

I would love to do an eco tour up in Bella Coola or Alaska and see the bears. Hopefully one day.
I hear it's breath taking country.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

k, those are totally not what I expected. I figured bear bangers were going be something like this and make a lot of noise(and I don't even know why I thought that).

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No, they're a playground toy from yesteryear. Clackers was what they were called if I remember correctly.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
apparently they're illegal or banned now. Clackers...not butt plugs.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I was just typing out "why", when it dawned on me how the nanny staters would see them as weapons, lol.

Hmmm, just looked it up, they were considered a hazard. Like lawn darts.

The latter was an excellent example of natural selection. I miss lawn darts.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I was just typing out "why", when it dawned on me how the nanny staters would see them as weapons, lol.

Hmmm, just looked it up, they were considered a hazard. Like lawn darts.

The latter was an excellent example of natural selection. I miss lawn darts.

Me too. An entire generation of kids is now growing up without hearing the words "you'll put your eye out with that", thus leaving them actually more vulnerable to eye injury in the future.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Me too. An entire generation of kids is now growing up without hearing the words "you'll put your eye out with that", thus leaving them actually more vulnerable to eye injury in the future.

We're going to have a very thinned population in a couple of generations...that or they simply won't leave their homes ever.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
We're going to have a very thinned population in a couple of generations...that or they simply won't leave their homes ever.

See parents should be learning from the grizzly. Leave your kids alone and let them play by the running stream, just be ready to charge at danger and swallow it whole. It's how parenting should be, dammit!

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
See parents should be learning from the grizzly. Leave your kids alone and let them play by the running stream, just be ready to charge at danger and swallow it whole. It's how parenting should be, dammit!

when I was 10, I was a stable girl. I mucked out 3 stalls belonging to cattle/stock horses. At 10 yrs old, I maybe weighed 50lbs. I, alone put on the tack, rode alone, mucked alone. Still alive. I also knew I could die if I wasn't careful.

I worry kids today won't know they can die or that they can be smart and learn not to die.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Can we talk about MILF's swallowing things hole, a little more please, lol

HA! Wait til the kids are in bed and asleep. ;)

when I was 10, I was a stable girl. I mucked out 3 stalls belonging to cattle/stock horses. At 10 yrs old, I maybe weighed 50lbs. I, alone put on the tack, rode alone, mucked alone. Still alive. I also knew I could die if I wasn't careful.

I worry kids today won't know they can die or that they can be smart and learn not to die.

Well today a 10 year old can get lost in their own neighbourhood if they're alone. It's because we're living in larger and larger cities these days. Used to be I could venture off on my own in the city, but too many kids disappeared doing that, so it's not an unrealistic fear. But it doesn't teach them to trust their instincts and that's what is going to get them hurt.