The NFL's social engineering towards hiring a gay player

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
CBS Sports Host Slams 'Ridiculous Sensitivity' of NFL Officials to Lobby for Roster Spot for Gay Player

Jason Howerton at The Blaze passed along this nugget from the CBS New York website: sports radio host Craig Carton, whose show with Boomer Esiason airs on the CBS Sports Network on cable, laid into the NFL following Peter King’s report that the NFL lobbied teams to pick up openly gay defensive tackle Michael Sam after he was released by the St. Louis Rams. They couldn't stand the "nightmare scenario" of Sam not making a team.

Carton called out the league over the plea that Sam and others pushed that he should be given a chance on the football merits, not some sort of gay affirmative action program:

“Let me tell you something, it’s absolutely ridiculous. If the NFL was that worried about the ‘homophobic’ team owners or managers or players, that they would actually actively find a place for Michael Sam is — Listen, I understand it, but it’s wrong,” he said. “Out of regards if you’re gay or straight, it shouldn’t matter… If they went out of their way to find a place for Michael Sam and not for any other guy that got cut, then that’s wrong.”

Carton also said it further proves that the NFL suffers from “ridiculous sensitivity and insecurity to every freaking social issue going on in America.”

- See more at: CBS Sports Host Slams 'Ridiculous Sensitivity' of NFL Officials to Lobby for Roster Spot for Gay Player

awww, c'mon guys, someone pick him.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I can understand the concern of the NFL. Sam was the best pass rusher St Louis had in the pre-season. Meanwhile ex-coach and football analyst Tony Dungy was on record saying he wouldn't want him on the team because of the distractions. Lo and behold Sam is the final Rams cut and isn't even placed on the Rams practice roster. Sam then clears waivers and no one picks him up as a free agent.

Jerry Jones and the Cowboys ultimately picked him up and placed him on their practice roster. Distractions have never been an issue with Jones.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
- practice roster -

What we used to call the taxi squad.

Sad though that Sam led the team in pre-season sacks but was still cut despite his teammates approving of his presence.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Other than the celebrations for making a TD different what difference would it make? The Refs might feel safer if they make a bad call and the 'player' confronts him about it.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I can understand the concern of the NFL. Sam was the best pass rusher St Louis had in the pre-season. Meanwhile ex-coach and football analyst Tony Dungy was on record saying he wouldn't want him on the team because of the distractions. Lo and behold Sam is the final Rams cut and isn't even placed on the Rams practice roster. Sam then clears waivers and no one picks him up as a free agent.

Jerry Jones and the Cowboys ultimately picked him up and placed him on their practice roster. Distractions have never been an issue with Jones.

The thing I see is the media (especially ESPN) had a hand in this whole deal. They made Tony Dungy's predictions come true in large part, by placing the emphasis on Sam's sexuality instead of his ability to play football. If ESPN and other media outlets would have gotten over the fact an openly gay player was in training camp, he would have stood a much better chance at making the team. But the circus continues: Sam held a press conference when he arrived in Dallas. When does a practice squad guy merit a press conference for just arriving in town?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The thing I see is the media (especially ESPN) had a hand in this whole deal. They made Tony Dungy's predictions come true in large part, by placing the emphasis on Sam's sexuality instead of his ability to play football. If ESPN and other media outlets would have gotten over the fact an openly gay player was in training camp, he would have stood a much better chance at making the team. But the circus continues: Sam held a press conference when he arrived in Dallas. When does a practice squad guy merit a press conference for just arriving in town?
Ya it's all a bit of a catch-22. ESPN sells to people who want to read about it, for whatever reason. If being gay in the NFL wasn't a big deal to Americans then ESPN would be writing about something else. Why is it a big deal? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Tony Dungy questioning his ability to play or even make the assumption he wouldn't be good enough to play. It seems the Circus had more to do with him not playing than his ability. When history writes about this episode ESPN won't be the focus. It will be the NFL. I don't think the NFL brass were looking forward to this being talked about for the next 20 years.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ya it's all a bit of a catch-22. ESPN sells to people who want to read about it, for whatever reason. If being gay in the NFL wasn't a big deal to Americans then ESPN would be writing about something else. Why is it a big deal? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Tony Dungy questioning his ability to play or even make the assumption he wouldn't be good enough to play. It seems the Circus had more to do with him not playing than his ability. When history writes about this episode ESPN won't be the focus. It will be the NFL. I don't think the NFL brass were looking forward to this being talked about for the next 20 years.
It's in the best interests of the sports press to keep the pot boiling.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
CBS Sports Host Slams 'Ridiculous Sensitivity' of NFL Officials to Lobby for Roster Spot for Gay Player

Jason Howerton at The Blaze passed along this nugget from the CBS New York website: sports radio host Craig Carton, whose show with Boomer Esiason airs on the CBS Sports Network on cable, laid into the NFL following Peter King’s report that the NFL lobbied teams to pick up openly gay defensive tackle Michael Sam after he was released by the St. Louis Rams. They couldn't stand the "nightmare scenario" of Sam not making a team.

Carton called out the league over the plea that Sam and others pushed that he should be given a chance on the football merits, not some sort of gay affirmative action program:

“Let me tell you something, it’s absolutely ridiculous. If the NFL was that worried about the ‘homophobic’ team owners or managers or players, that they would actually actively find a place for Michael Sam is — Listen, I understand it, but it’s wrong,” he said. “Out of regards if you’re gay or straight, it shouldn’t matter… If they went out of their way to find a place for Michael Sam and not for any other guy that got cut, then that’s wrong.”

Carton also said it further proves that the NFL suffers from “ridiculous sensitivity and insecurity to every freaking social issue going on in America.”

- See more at: CBS Sports Host Slams 'Ridiculous Sensitivity' of NFL Officials to Lobby for Roster Spot for Gay Player

awww, c'mon guys, someone pick him.

You're dumb.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not sure of the demographics, but what percentage of the male
human population is gay? Say about 10% give or take depending on
your source.....

There are, I believe, 32 NFL teams, so in excess of 1600 current
and active players....and factor in the 10% or so percentage from
above.....and the only thing different about the player in the O.P. is
that he's open about his orientation.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
So what if it was socially engineered.
So is hate and bigotry
and it is not like this guy was the best water boy either

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Whether a person is gay or straight, black/red/white/yellow or purple, has a full head of hair or is bald, is left or right handed, etc., etc. has absolutely nothing with their ability to play football.

I strongly suspect that he WAS cut because he is openly gay.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
well, there's alway the CFL

they could use a few more tight ends.

heh heh

that one's for Ludlow!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Sounds to me like he is being punished for being gay more than for not performing in his job.
He does the best in preseason and gets cut? NFL sounds like the old white racist guys at
Augusta Golf and Country Club. You know the guys who were say Black or the ladies side of
the equation. This has no place in sport those who do the best job get the job regardless.
Can you imagine what it would be like if all gay contributions were rejected through history?
The art and music we often praise was created and played by those who were gay.