2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's only Day 1 of the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games and England are already at the top of the medals table after taking gold AND bronze in the women's triathlon.

At a hot and sunny Strathclyde Country Park, England's Jodie Stimpson stormed to the first medal of the 2014 Commonwealth Games as she took triathlon gold with her compatriot Vicky Holland in bronze.

Stimpson timed her surge on the final 10km run leg perfectly to pull away from Canada's Kirsten Sweetland 300m from the line and make up for her Olympic disappointment two years ago.

The 25-year-old had missed out on a place at London 2012 through a controversial British selection policy but won England's first ever Commonwealth triathlon medal with a dominant piece of front-running to finish in one hour 58 minutes 56 seconds.

Sweetland took silver and Holland hung on for bronze in a race that provided a thrilling start to these Glasgow Games just 10 hours after the spectacular opening ceremony.

Meanwhile, England look set to get two medals in the men's triathlon with the Brownlee brothers, who took gold and bronze for Great Britain at London 2012.

How good it'd be to see the English finish top of the tree in Scotland.

Glasgow 2014: Jodie Stimpson captures triathlon gold

By Tom Fordyce
Chief sports writer at Strathclyde Country Park
BBC Sport

England's Jessica Stimpson, left and Vicky Holland, right, received their gold and bronze medals this afternoon after coming first and third in the women's triathlon

First gold! England's Jodie Stimpson crosses the finish line to win the women's triathlon at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow on Thursday

England's Jodie Stimpson stormed to the first medal of the 2014 Commonwealth Games as she took triathlon gold with her compatriot Vicky Holland in bronze.

Stimpson timed her surge on the final 10km run leg perfectly to pull away from Canada's Kirsten Sweetland 300m from the line and make up for her Olympic disappointment two years ago.

The 25-year-old had missed out on a place at London 2012 through a controversial British selection policy but won England's first ever Commonwealth triathlon medal with a dominant piece of front-running to finish in one hour 58 minutes 56 seconds.

Sweetland took silver and Holland hung on for bronze in a race that provided a thrilling start to these Glasgow Games just 10 hours after the spectacular opening ceremony.

"All my family are already crying, it's awesome they got to see me in a championship race after missing the Olympics in 2012."

The exhausted English pair crawled over to hug each other as the unexpectedly hot conditions and fierce racing took their toll.

The summer heat was so intense that the opening 1500m swim in Strathclyde Loch was made non-wetsuit, and England's Lucy Hall went out hard early to tow team-mates Stimpson and Holland with her, just as they had planned.

Within the first lap of the 40km bike a group of 10 had come together that also included Northern Ireland's Aileen Reid as well as double world champion Emma Moffatt and her Australian team-mate Emma Jackson.

On a tough, hilly course no breaks could stay away, and it became apparent from some way out that the gold medal would come down to the 10km run.

Stimpson set a telling pace and within 2km the large group had whittled down to just six, Hall and Moffatt dropping off as New Zealand's Andrea Hewitt came through.

With 4km to go Reid was the next to drift away and, as they came through transition for the final time, Stimpson tried to stretch the pace further, dropping the dangerous Jackson and hurting Hewitt.

Holland could not keep the pace and, as the runners turned for the final long drag towards the finishing blue carpet, neither could Sweetland.

Stimpson's gold could shortly be matched by Alistair and Jonny Brownlee, the two brothers from Yorkshire the clear favourites for the men's race, which gets underway at 15:00 BST.

But after she was denied a crack at gold in London two years ago when the British selectors opted to pick two domestiques to aid medal contender Helen Jenkins rather than a team of three individuals, her moment of triumph in Strathclyde Country Park is likely to be savoured.

Stimpson said afterwards: "Get in England! Come on! Now the boys have got to do it.

"All my family are already crying, it's awesome they got to see me in a championship race after missing the Olympics in 2012.

"The support from the crowd was awesome. No matter what country you were from they were behind you."

Holland, an outsider for the podium before the race began, produced one of her finest performances to take the bronze.

She said: "I knew Jodie would be the biggest threat in the field and I am really pleased she won, not just because she is English but because she really deserves it.

"My legs were failing me towards the end - it was so hard to hold and win this medal I've worked so long for."

We're underway: In sweltering heat the triathletes dive into the water of Strathclyde Loch to start the event in Glasgow

On the march? Vicky Holland of England leads her compatriot Jodie Stimpson out of the water

Next step: The athletes take to the bike to begin a tough stint

Stimpson said it was "awesome" her family got to see her win after missing the Olympics in 2012

Jodie Stimpson crosses the finishing line to triumph in the Glasgow sunshine

Gold and bronze for England's Jodie Stimpson and Vicky Holland respectively and silver for Canada's Kirsten Sweetland. Stimpson's gold and Holland's bronze could be matched by England's Alistair and Jonny Brownlee in the men's race

Medal Table - Glasgow 2014 - Commonwealth Games - BBC Sport

England's Alistair and Jonny Brownlee win gold and silver in the men's triathlon at the 2014 Commonwealth Games as the medals roll in for England on Day 1.

England now have two gold medals already.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Glasgow 2014 marathon: Shelley & Cheyech win gold medals

BBC Sport
27th July 2014

Australian Michael Shelley has won Commonwealth gold in the men's marathon in Glasgow with Kenya's Flomena Cheyech Daniel winning the women's event.

Shelley, 30, ran clear in the final 5km to beat Kenyan Stephen Chemlany by 43 seconds and set a new personal best of two hours 11 minutes 15 seconds.

Uganda's Philip Kiplimo was third, while England's Steve Way placed 10th with a personal best of his own.

Cheyech won from compatriot Caroline Kilel and Australian Jess Trengove.

"The final part of the course goes through a tough, gritty part of Glasgow and that was a tough, gritty performance from Michael Shelley. What a brilliant performance, a really well-executed marathon."

"Now I have had a bit more experience, to come away with my first win is indescribable," said Shelley, who won Commonwealth silver at the Delhi Games of 2010.

"I dug deep and I was hoping I wouldn't blow-up like I have done in the past.

"You just try to run the best you possibly can and it was a dream to be honest. I'm still buzzing."

Susan Partridge of Scotland was the highest placed runner from the home nations, finishing in sixth place, five minutes 23 seconds behind 32-year-old Cheyech's winning time of 2:26:45, while England's Louise Damen was seventh.

"It really was the best and I hope to be there at the next Commonwealth Games," said Cheyech, who led with Kilel for most of the race before breaking for victory in the final stages. "We were running together and trying to help one another."

By Way's own estimation, seven years ago he was "16-and-a-half stone and smoking about 20 cigarettes a day" but at the age of 40 he completed the route in 2:15:16, finishing one place behind Scotland's Derek Hawkins.

At the age of 40 England's Steve Way produced a personal best to finish in tenth place in Glasgow

"It doesn't get much better than that," Way told BBC Sport. "The race went off at quite a slow pace, so I was leading for some of the first part, which was just brilliant.

"The magic goal for me was to get top 10, personal best and the British veteran's record, and I've achieved all those, so I'm going to go and have a drink."

Michael Shelley won Commonwealth silver in 2010 but ran clear in the closing stages to claim gold in Glasgow

Kenya's Cheyech finished just ahead of compatriot Caroline Kilel

Glasgow 2014: England win four medals in double trap

BBC Sport
27th July 2014

Charlotte Kerwood claimed gold in the women's event before Steven Scott beat Matthew French for the men's gold.

Rachel Parish, with whom Kerwood won pairs gold at Melbourne 2006, secured the bronze after winning a shoot-off.

It is a fourth Commonwealth gold medal for Kerwood, who won her first aged only 15 at the Manchester Games of 2002.

Scott, who won Commonwealth gold in the men's double trap pairs in Delhi 2010, shot a perfect 30 out of 30 in the final.

French, who himself only missed one target in the final, told BBC Sport: "Ninety-nine times out of 100 you will win with a 29 but I could not have asked for much more."

Scott, 29, said: "I was hoping for a 27 but Matthew kept the pressure on me to the end with some awesome shooting.

"We have shot together before countless times, but I wanted to beat him, no doubt."

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: England win four medals in double trap

Glasgow 2014: Bethy Woodward wins para-sport long jump silver

BBC Sport
27th July 2014

England's Bethy Woodward produced a personal-best performance to claim silver in the para-sport women's long jump T37/38 class.

The 21-year-old, who also won two sprint medals at the London Paralympics in 2012, scored 750 points with a longest jump of 4.00 metres.

Australia's Jodi Elkington took gold with a world lead distance of 4.39m.

Welsh duo Olivia Breen and Bev Jones were fourth and sixth respectively with England's Fiona Clarke eighth.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/commonwealth-games/2851438

Glasgow 2014: Adam Gemili fastest in men's 100m heats

BBC Sport
27th July 2014

England's Adam Gemili recorded the fastest time in the men's 100m heats to qualify for Monday's semi-finals.

The 20-year-old won his race by a distance in 10.15 seconds, 0.10 secs slower than his personal best.

He is joined in the semis by compatriots Richard Kilty, who had a dead heat for second in his race, and fastest loser Harry Aikines-Aryeetey.

There was disappointment for Northern Ireland's Leon Reid, who was disqualified for a false start.

Fastest men in Glasgow 2014 100m heats

Adam Gemili (England): 10.15 seconds
Jemar Bailey-Cole (Jamaica): 10.16
Keston Bedman (Trinidad and Tobago): 10.16
Kemar Hyman (Cayman Islands): 10.20
Jason Livermore (Jamaica): 10.26

Hampden Park was treated to plenty of drama in the heats, which also saw Tahir Walsh of Antigua and Barbuda disqualified for a false start in the same heat as Reid.

There was a scare for Trinidad and Tobago's three-time Olympic medallist Richard Thompson, who has clocked three sub-10 second runs in 2014, as he was left to rely on a fastest loser spot to reach the semis after finishing third in heat three.

Besides Gemili, the most impressive displays came from Jamaica's Kemar Bailey-Cole, who ran 10.16 in the first heat, and Trinidad and Tobago's Keston Bledman, who matched that time in the last.

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: Adam Gemili fastest in men's 100m heats

MEDALS TABLE (TOP 5)

.............................G......S......B......TOTAL
Australia............20....14.....21........55
England.............19....16.....15........50
Scotland............11.....6.......8.........25
Canada..............7.......3......6.........16
India...................5.......8.......6.........19

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Canada are rubbish at sports. Even Scotland - the land of unfit, heart disease ridden, deep-fried chocolate bars eaters - are better than Canada.

If there was ice 100 metres; ice badminton; ice judo; ice swimming; ice gymnastics; ice netball; ice table tennis; ice lawn bowls; ice decathlon; ice triathlon; ice boxing; ice diving; ice rugby sevens; ice squash; ice badminton; ice weighlifting; or ice wrestling you'd be at the top of the tree right now.

You used to always finish third in the medals table behind the Big Two - Australia (a big sporting powerhouse) and England. But in 2010 you finished fourth behind Australia, England and India. Now it's looking like you may finish fifth.

Current medals table (top five)

........................G.....S.....B.....Total
1) Australia.....30.....25....32.....87
2) England......27.....24....23.....74
3) Scotland.....13.....8.....12.....33
4) South Africa..9.....7.....8......24
5) Canada........9.....3.....12.....24

Glasgow 2014: Adam Gemili wins silver for England in men's 100m

By Tom Fordyce
Chief sports writer at Hampden Park, Glasgow
BBC Sport
28th July 2014

England's Adam Gemili took Commonwealth Games 100m silver behind Jamaica's Kemar Bailey-Cole to seal his first senior international medal in style.

Gemili, the 20-year-old former Chelsea junior footballer, got out of his blocks well before the much fancied Bailey-Cole, 22, overcame his own sluggish start to come through for gold in 10 seconds flat.

Bailey-Cole's fellow Jamaican Nickel Ashmeade took bronze at Hampden Park.

But it was Gemili - who was not ranked in the top 10 in the Commonwealth coming into the Games - who celebrated with the most glee as his 10.10secs on a cool Glasgow evening put him on a senior podium for the first time.

Gemili has focused more on his preferred 200m this season and will run over the longer distance at next month's European Championships in Zurich.

"It's not about times, it's about position. This is just a stepping-stone for the European Championships and then the Olympics in Rio."

But in front of a noisy capacity 44,000 crowd, which offered him tremendous support, the Dartford sprinter proved his decision to take on the shorter event was entirely justified.

"My first time representing England - I'm so happy," he said. "That's something I'm never going to forget in my life.

"It's not about times, it's about position. The times will eventually come. This is just a stepping-stone for the European Championships and then the Olympics in Rio."

Bailey-Cole, a training partner of double Olympic 100m champion Usain Bolt, shares some of the long-legged style of his superstar compatriot.

Bailey-Cole wins gold in 10.00secs at Hampden Park last night. His personal best of 9.93secs was set in the World Championship in Moscow in 2013

After an injury-hit season, Bolt is only competing in the sprint relay at these Commonwealths.

But Bailey-Cole's victory means that, like in Delhi four years ago when Lerone Clarke took gold from Mark Lewis-Francis, Jamaica pipped England to gold.

As always at a Commonwealth Games, there will be those who compare the quality of the field unfavourably to that of an Olympics or World Championships.

That is a little like criticising the FA Cup for not being the Champions League. They are different competitions with their own legitimacy, and Gemili's delight told its own tale. For him to split the Jamaicans is a significant achievement.

The Blackheath and Bromley Harrier was an outsider heading into Glasgow but, while quicker and more experienced athletes such as Trinidad and Tobago's Richard Thompson failed to deliver, he handled the occasion in style.

World 400m record holder Michael Johnson said making the podium is a "big thing" for Gemili.

Johnson, now an analyst for BBC Sport, added: "That gives him something to build on for the future. He can now go on and win the European Championships and then he has medals in his back pocket heading into next year which is a huge confidence booster."

Jamaica's Bailey-Cole, left, was expected to challenge for gold, but England's Gemili (right) was considered only an outside medal bet

Gemili (fourth right) was ranked outside the top 10 in the Commonwealth before the Games

Bailey-Cole was a clear winner as Jamaica took gold despite the absence of their big guns

Gemili (left) secured his first senior medal as he took silver in Glasgow on Monday night

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: Adam Gemili wins silver for England in men's 100m

Glasgow 2014: New gold medal record for hosts Scotland

BBC Sport
28th July 2014

Scotland's Libby Clegg and Mikail Huggins won gold in the T12 100m

Scotland set a new national record for Commonwealth Games gold medals following lawn bowls success for Alex Marshall and Paul Foster.

That win in the men's pairs event took them to the 12-gold mark, surpassing the tally at Melbourne in 2006.

Libby Clegg's gold in the T12 100m at Hampden on Monday evening matched their best total medal haul of 33.

Mike Whittingham, director of high performance at the sportscotland institute of sport, hailed the effort.

"Alex and Paul have dominated world bowls over the last few years and to add another Commonwealth title to their collection, especially one as historic as this, is extremely fitting," he said.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the Team Scotland athletes competing, and I'm sure they will be going all out to try to add to the already impressive medal tally."

Day five's two golds and a bronze, for Jen McIntosh in the 50m rifle prone, mean that Scotland has now equalled its record of 33 medals at the Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh in 1986.

Alex Marshall's triumph in the lawn bowls is his third Commonwealth title after pairs victories in 2002 and 2006.

But he said winning in front of a home crowd was his biggest achievement to date.

He said: "This is just fantastic. I have won two golds before but this one tops the lot. Playing in your own back yard, in front of your own fans - you just can't beat it. Simply the best."

Foster, who won a Commonwealth pairs gold in Melbourne eight years ago, feared his chances of landing a second had been ruined just a fortnight before the game when his prize bowls were stolen.

However, they were soon returned to the Troon taxi driver and he lapped up his latest triumph, saying: "I didn't think anything would beat 2006 but this tops everything. To win a gold on home soil is a feeling that will live with me forever."

Later Libby Clegg secured Scotland's first athletics gold of these Commonwealth Games with a T11/12 100 metres victory at a raucous Hampden Park.

The visually-impaired 24-year-old and guide Mikail Huggins was roared over the line by the partisan crowd in a world-leading 12.20 seconds.

She said: "It feels incredible.

"It was an absolutely fantastic experience. I loved every second of it.

"The crowd were just phenomenal. The cheers they were giving us were just amazing and really uplifting. It definitely helped my performance."

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: New gold medal record for Scotland

Glasgow 2014: Nick Matthew beats James Willstrop to win gold

BBC Sport
28th July 2014

Nick Matthew (left) plays a shot during the all-England gold medal match in men's singles squash with James Willstrop (right). It is the second time in successive Commonwealth Games that England have won gold, silver and bronze in the men's singles squash

Nick Matthew became the first man to retain the Commonwealth Games singles squash title after beating fellow Englishman James Willstrop in Glasgow.

Matthew, 34, won an absorbing contest 11-9 8-11 11-5 6-11 11-5.

With Peter Barker taking bronze, it is England's second successive Commonwealth podium clean sweep after they also dominated in Delhi.

England's Laura Massaro took silver after losing to Malaysia's world number one Nicol David in the women's final.

Matthew's clash with Willstrop, 30, was a repeat of the 2010 final in Delhi.

Then Matthew had won in three games but this time he was made to work much harder as Willstrop pushed him every step of the way.

An exhausting rally on the third point of the match set the tone as both men covered the court in tireless fashion while producing some top quality squash.

World champion Matthew - who carried the England flag at the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony - took the opening game before Willstrop hit back.

Sheffield's Matthew, who won gold in both the singles and doubles in Delhi four years ago, went 2-1 ahead as he breezed through the third game but Willstrop hit back in impressive fashion in game four to take it to a decider.

But Matthew, who had won the last 24 meetings between the pair, went ahead early in the fifth game and maintained his advantage throughout to take it.

Matthew's victory was all the more impressive as his hopes of competing in Glasgow were threatened by a knee injury which required surgery last month and left his participation in doubt.

"Five weeks ago I was on a hospital bed, throbbing pain in my body," said Matthew.

"How the medics have done it… it is incredible. They need to retire now because it can't get better than that."

England's Peter Barker took bronze after beating Saurav Ghosal 11-5 6-11 11-5 11-6 in 53 minutes to leave the Indian player in fourth place for the second Games in a row.

In the women's squash final England's Laura Massaro (left) was well beaten by Malaysia's Nicol David

In the women's final David, 30, produced a superb performance to beat Massaro 12-10 11-2 11-5.

Like Matthew, it is back-to-back Commonwealth golds for David, who did not drop a single game when she won in Delhi in 2010.

She has been world number one for 99 months and has won the World Open title a record seven times.

But Massaro, 30, is the world number two and went into the Commonwealths full of confidence after winning both the World Open and British Open titles this year.

Squash was invented at Harrow boys' school in north west London in 1830. The school's 800 pupils are famous for wearing straw boaters.

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: Nick Matthew beats James Willstrop to win gold

Glasgow 2014: Blessing Okagbare storms to gold in the 100m

By Tom Fordyce
Chief sports writer, at Hampden Park, Glasgow
BBC Sport
28th July 2014

Pure joy: Okagbare punches the air in delight after crossing the line ahead of Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown

Nigeria's Blessing Okagbare set a new Commonwealth record of 10.85 seconds to win 100m gold and put her Jamaican rivals in the shade.

Okagbare produced a fine piece of relaxed sprinting to leave Veronica Campbell-Brown in silver and Kerron Stewart bronze.

England's Asha Philip produced a new personal best of 11.18secs to take fourth.

Compatriot Bianca Williams took sixth in her first major championships.

Philip said: "Fourth is always the first loser, but there's a lot more to come.

"I wanted a medal, but it's my first ever Commonwealth Games. I'm really happy with that."

Okagbare, who still has 200m and long jump gold to aim at in these Games, said: "A season's best, a win - I'm just happy I was able to pull it off. After 70m it just felt easy."

All smiles: Okagbare celebrates her victory with a Nigeria flag inside Hampden Park

England's Sophie Hitchon on the way to bronze in the women's hammer

Sophie Hitchon, a ballet dancer turned hammer thrower, claimed Commonwealth bronze, the 23-year-old from Burnley hurling the hammer 68.72m.

"The first few rounds were a little jerky and I only got it together later on but I am amazingly pleased with a medal," she said.

Canada's Sultana Frizell took the gold in a Games record 71.97m, while England's Sarah Holt was fourth with a season's best 65.67m.

Scotland's Libby Clegg, 24, earned the hosts their first Hampden Park gold with victory in the T11/12 100m.

The visually impaired 22-year-old and guide Mikail Huggins - who together won silver at London 2012 - crossed the line in 12.20 to emphatically claim the title by more than a second to the delight of a raucous full house.

"It is a bit daunting when everyone wants you to win, but I didn't feel the pressure too much," said Clegg. "The crowd and atmosphere have been brilliant and to win gold is amazing."

Laura Muir, one of Scotland's leading hopes, also had the crowd at the national stadium off their seats as she cruised into the final of the 1500m.

The 21-year-old will be joined in Tuesday's final by English trio Hannah England, Laura Weightman and Jemma Simpson.

Jamaica's O'Dayne Richards took gold in the men's shot put with a huge throw of 21.61m - a Games record.

Kirani James, the Olympic 400m champion from Grenada and one of the biggest names in Glasgow, looked in imperious form in qualifying for the final. England's Michael Bingham, Martyn Rooney and Nigel Levine also made it through.

English trio Christopher Baker, Martyn Bernard and Tom Parsons, along with Scotland's Raymond Bobrownicki, qualified for the high jump final.

Dan Greaves struck gold for England with victory in the F42/44 discus.

The 31-year-old, who took silver at London 2012, came out on top of his domestic duel with Wales' Aled Davies, winning with a throw of 59.21m.

Wales' Rhys Jones finished third in a men's 100m T37 final won by South African Fanie van der Merwe in 11.65.

England's bronze medalist Sophie Hitchon, gold medalist Sultana Frizell of Canada and silver medalist Julia Ratcliffe of New Zealand celebrate after the women's hammer final

Scotland's Laura Muir, far left, on her way to thrilling the crowd as she powered into the 1500m final

Scotland's Libby Clegg and her guide Mikail Huggins celebrate gold in the T11/12 100 metres

Wales' Aled Davies, England's Dan Greaves and Richard Okigbazi of Nigeria on the podium after the F42/44 discus final

BBC Sport - Glasgow 2014: Blessing Okagbare storms to gold in the 100m

Barbados call on Billy Ocean's son when the going gets tough for rugby sevens side thrashed 68-5 by Canada at Glasgow Games

The going got so tough for Barbados’ rugby sevens side yesterday that they were prompted to call on the son of soul star Billy Ocean.

But when Anthony Bayne-Charles ran on to the field as a second-half substitute, the tannoy announcer at Rangers' Ibrox Park was not quick enough to put together a melody of English singer Billy Ocean’s greatest hits, which included, ‘When the going gets tough, the tough get going’ in 1990 and ‘Red Light Spells Danger’ in 1977.

Outside chance: Barbados were always going to be in for a tough ride in the seven-a-side rugby union at the Commonwealth Games

Unfortunately for the son of Leslie Sebastian Charles, Ocean’s real name, it was more a case of ‘There’ll be Sad Songs’ which was a hit for his dad in 1986 as his team never won a match, losing 56-0 to Scotland and 68-5 to Canada.

Despite the defeats, he still enjoyed the experience of playing in front of the biggest crowd of his rugby career.

‘My dad is on tour at the moment so he couldn’t come to Ibrox but it was great for me to run out in front of more than 40,000 rugby fans at the Commonwealth Games,’ said Bayne-Charles, who is eligible to play for Barbados because his mother, Judy, was born there.

‘At times like this you have to just take your chance and do your best.

‘I am musical and studied music at university but rugby is my passion; I have been playing since I was seven.

‘I am musical like my dad and when I retire I might do more of it but I am playing rugby at the moment and loving it.’

England beat Uganda 40-0 to register a second victory without conceding a point following their 57-0 thrashing of Sri Lanka.

Wales thumped Malaysia 52-0, while Scotland, after losing 17-14 to mighty New Zealand, hit back by thrashing Barbados and Lee Jones said: ‘We’re playing well and if we keep doing what we’re doing then we can be confident of coming through.’

Performer: English singer Billy Ocean, pictured performing at Trafalgar Square, has a large fanbase

Read more: Barbados call on Billy Ocean's son when the going gets tough for rugby seven side | Mail Online

As they posed for a celebratory selfie to mark their 4-0 win against Malaysia at the Commonwealth Games, these two Australian hockey players probably didn't think their day could get any better.

Little did they know their selfie was about to be given the royal seal of approval as the Queen joined in the latest social media craze and 'photobombed' them.

The Queen, who met the Hockeyroos after their match, poked her head into the background of the photo and smiled for the camera.

The Queen joined in with the latest craze when she photobombed a selfie taken by two players, Jayde Taylor, left and Brooke Peris, right, from the Australian women's hockey team on the first day of the Commonwealth Games

A second player, Anna Flanagan, tweeted a photo of Her Majesty posing in the background of the team's selfie, writing 'What a day!! 4-0 win over Malaysia... And we just met the QUEEN!!!'

England hurdler Andy Turner also tried his hand at getting the Queen to photobomb, posting on Twitter: 'That's as good as it gets, some big bloke told me to jog on so thought it was time I moved'

Despite having just won their opening match of the Games, the Australian players could hardly contain their excitement - and their shock that the Queen had 'even smiled'.

Jayde Taylor, who is pictured posing in the selfie with teammate Brooke Peris, immediately tweeted the photo.

The 29-year-old told her 2,300 followers: 'Ahhh The Queen photo-bombed our selfie!! #royalty #sheevensmiled #amazing #Glasgow2014'.

Dressed in green and a matching turquoise hat, Her Majesty was seen mischievously lurking in the background of the selfie at the Glasgow National Hockey Centre.

Kate's got a fan! Wills steps in to help his over-heating wife as temperatures soar at Commonwealth Games swimming pool

The Duke of Cambridge stepped in to help his over-heating wife yesterday as they cheered on a Welsh swimmer during their visit to the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow. Prince William, who was also joined by Prince Harry, repeatedly fanned Kate using her identity card as they watched Jazz Carlin win the 800m freestyle gold medal at Tollcross Swimming Centre

Prince William steps in to help Kate as temperatures soar at Commonwealth Games swimming pool | Mail Online

Royal photobomb! Cheeky Harry gives a thumbs up behind New Zealand rugby coach

This is the moment loveable rogue Prince Harry photobombed New Zealand Commonwealth Games officials, including New Zealand rugby legend Sir Gordon Tietjens, during a rugby sevens match - and they were so chuffed one of them made it their profile picture on Facebook!

Prince Harry photobomb's at Commonwealth Games | Mail Online

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada didn't have a good start in the Commonwealth games but they are improving. At least they've passed Scotland. Australia is probably out of reach but with a little luck they could catch England.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Canada was pretty dominant in the last 2 winter olympics.

pretty non-existent in the summer games.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
ftfy

btw, when you post articles a mile long, verging on numptiness, nobody is gonna read them. dig?

Is that because there are too many words for you? By the sound of things you're probably still reading Ladybird books.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
canadians Are doing well in commonwealth games, keep up the good work, they are giving their all,

thats all anyone can ask, doesn't matter what the level is, everything isn't all about the olympics,

there are levels for other athletes too, and that is good.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:canada:Canada's Sultana Frizell took the gold in a Games record 71.97m, while England's Sarah Holt was fourth with a season's best 65.67m.

Sultana set a new record in the hammer throw, during try-outs, then bested that in the games.

Next time, Blacknuts, you can be the hammer catcher.
. :thebirdman:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I see we're taking the medal boots to the hometown Scots. And the Aussies have more medals than the Englanders. It must suck to be a Brit.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
haters always gonna hate smedley

'lawn bowling'

:lol:

Lawn bowls is a much more riveting watch than hockey on ice (why do North Americans play such strange sports? I never have been able to fathom it out.)

Also, winning medals in hockey on ice can't be that difficult if you can do it whilst smoking and drinking.

And the Aussies have more medals than the Englanders.

No, they don't. Have you looked at the medals table lately and seen who's on top?

Australia has, though, got over twice the number of medals in total that Canada has, despite having a smaller population.

:canada:Canada's Sultana Frizell took the gold in a Games record 71.97m, while England's Sarah Holt was fourth with a season's best 65.67m.

Sultana? Are you kidding me?

Next time, Blacknuts, you can be the hammer catcher.
. :thebirdman:

So one of the few sports in this Commonwealth Games in which Canada actually managed to beat England involved chucking a hammer? How embarrassing.

You didn't manage to beat England in the artistic gymnastics, an event in which England have dominated in both the men's and women's events.

England won gold in the men's team gymnastics with a total of 266.804 points, with Canada (or Canana as it says on the BBC results page) only managing bronze, with 252.078 points, behind Scotland.

England also won gold in the women's team gymnastics, with 167.555 points, with Australia taking silver and Wales taking bronze. Canada finished fourth.

In the men's individual all-around gymnastics, England's Whitlock and Wilson took gold and bronze respectively, with Scotland's Keatings taking silver.

And England had a clean sweep in the women's individual all-around gymnastics last night, with England's Fragapane (who is a star in the making), Harrold and Whelan taking gold, silver and bronze respectively. Canada's Elsabeth Black and Maegan Chant could only manage 4th and 7th respectively.

So you may have beaten us in chucking a hammer around, but you can't beat us in most other things.

ENGLAND HAVE DOMINATED THE MEN'S AND WOMEN'S ARTISTIC GYMNASTICS AT GLASGOW 2014

Cleans weep: In the women's individual all-around gymnastics at the SSE Hydro last night, England's Claudia Fragapane (centre) took gold, England's Ruby Harrold (left) took silver and England's Hannah Whelan (right) took bronze

Sam Whitlock's first gold in the team event was England's first since the 2002 Games

Gold, silver and bronze: The brilliant Claudia Fragapane, 16, topped an England clean-sweep of the women's individual all-around final last night

In the men's individual all-around the silver for Keatings (left) was his second after Scotland's second place in the team event. England's Sam Whitlock and Nile Wilson took gold and bronze respectively

In the men's individual all-around England's Nile Wilson, an 18-year-old from Leeds, won his first senior individual medal, taking bronze, with his fellow countryman Sam Whitlock taking gold

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
How impressive

Not as impressive as our gymnasts.

You also have to remember that gymnastics is a men's sport, and it has been for centuries. It was created in the late 18th Century in Germany by Johann Friedrich GutsMuths (1759–1839) and Friedrich Ludwig Jahn (1778-1852) who created exercises for boys and young men on apparatus they had designed

Men's gymnastics has been in the Olympic Games since 1896 but women didn't participate in the sport until the 1920s. The first women's Olympic competition, at the 1928 Amsterdam Games, was primitive, only involving synchronized calisthenics and track and field.

So gymnastics sees women participating in a men's sport, not vice versa.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England's Sam Oldham taking bronze on the high bars in the 2014 British Masters Final:

SAM OLDHAM - BRONZE - HIGH BAR - APPARATUS FINAL 2014 BRITISH - SENIOR - MASTERS - YouTube

England's Max Whitlock taking gold on the rings in the 2014 British Masters Final:

MAX WHITLOCK - GOLD - RINGS - APPARATUS FINAL 2014 BRITISH - MASTERS - YouTube

The most Thomas flairs performed on a pommel horse in one minute is 50 by Louis Smith on the set of Guinness World Records - Smashed, in London, on 21st April 2009.

He received a bronze medal and a silver medal on the pommel horse at the 2008 Beijing Olympics and the 2012 London Olympics respectively whilst representing Great Britain and won a gold in the men's team event at the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games. He also won the 2012 series of the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.

London 2012 Olympic gymnast Louis Smith breaks most Thomas flairs on a pommel horse record - YouTube

Last edited: