Canada 23 England 3 - World Lacrosse Championship

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Methinks that England is seeking to claim global mastery of sucking at all things.

I'll check and find out when the English side travels to Michigan to enhance their unblemished losing record against the best that the US has to offer

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
England actually was the first nation to sanction international lax matches when they invited a team of Iroquois to play there some time in the mid to late 1800s. Because of this lax was an Olympic sport in 1904 and 1908. Unfortunately, there have been some nastiness in these contests in the current series - hopefully, these fights will not keep people from watching lax or from trying to get it back into the Olympic games.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
That's certainly true in North America. But that won't wash in the Olympics. Game violence will insure that the sport never makes it back to those games, sad to say. Besides, it is supposed to be the sport of Peace. One made by the Creator to promote peace and goodwill among combatants.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
That's certainly true in North America. But that won't wash in the Olympics. Game violence will insure that the sport never makes it back to those games, sad to say.

Very true, but as an aside, the IOC has tolerated the high component of physical contact in hockey (damn near borders on fights).

Perhaps Lax qualifies in terms of the same (fist fights notwithstanding).

Last point, NorAm hockey has drawn a serious following in hockey-minded nations and in part, this is because of the intensity that often spills-over into physical altercations.

European teams still need to draw their revenues (partial, but very significant) from team sponsorship and third party contributions... Just look at their jerseys, they are almost entirely an ad for some Corp

Besides, it is supposed to be the sport of Peace. One made by the Creator to promote peace and goodwill among combatants.

The irony in this is that the Olympics was originally a showcase for warriors to highlight their combat-related skills

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
International hockey rules forbid fighting and it is strictly prohibited during Olympics. The sport was first included in the Winter games some time in the 1920s, well before society became so anti-violence. Today internationals are even more mindful of sports violence and its athletes and coaches need to be mindful of those prohibitions. It was tough enough for Rugby 7s to get consideration for inclusion. Let's hope nothing will get in the way for lax to be newly included in those games and some day soon!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
US is the best at this sport. We can put up a fight. We lost 10-7 to them early in the pool preliminaries.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Four Yanks are injured and they may not be at 100%. Canada has good size and their power may overcome any seeming advantage the USA has. As usual with these long tournaments, it's often a battle of attrition and who can outlast everyone else.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I grew up about 2 blocks away from the Canadian Lacrosse Hall of Fame, and about the same distance away from Queens Park Arena where the New Westminster Salmonbellies played.

Home

To our left in the photo is the best box lacrosse defenseman of all time - Al Lewthwaite. He would be in his early 60's in this photo. Not only did Al crush people with his size and strength he was the fastest guy on the floor and a damn good player. Off the playing surface he was a super nice guy. Beside him in the photo is Wayne Goss who was the team's captain in the early/mid 70's.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
they will need much more than 'a stiff upper lip' to do well in lacrosse. it is a very tough,
physical game, my husband played it at the sr. b level, salmonbellies, for a few years, one has to take it
and dish it out just as good, and oh yes, be very good at handling the stick and ball at the
same time, a bit like hockey, but the ice is 'giving' and the ground, 'not so much'.

he played box lacrosse, and that wooden floor in the queens park arena is hard and non forgiving.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
they will need much more than 'a stiff upper lip' to do well in lacrosse. it is a very tough,
physical game, my husband played it at the sr. b level, salmonbellies, for a few years, one has to take it
and dish it out just as good, and oh yes, be very good at handling the stick and ball at the
same time, a bit like hockey, but the ice is 'giving' and the ground, 'not so much'.

he played box lacrosse, and that wooden floor in the queens park arena is hard and non forgiving.
The Queens Park wood floor was the most forgiving of any to play on. It was a treat to play on compared to the other bare floor and cement surfaces. A little spongy. Enough so that one could play without knee pads and not worry too much about having their knees chewed up. I liked the way the ball bounced on it too. A bounce pass seemed to reach it's destination a little softer than it would on the other surfaces.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What a bloody stupid thread, populated by the usual bunch of 10-year-old kids.

Can anyone tell me just how many people actually play lacrosse in England? That silly game, of which I know so little, may be popular in Canuckia and Yankeeland but don't go round believing it's popular the world over.

How many people actually play lacrosse in England, compared to the numbers who play football, cricket, rugby league, rugby union, tennis? Just how popular a sport is it there? How many people in England actually knew - or even cared - that England have just played Canada in it?

physical game.

Tough and physical? I'm sure our rugby league players would laugh at that description. After boxing, rugby league is the most physical and brutal sport on the planet. Lacrosse is for schoolgirls.