How running has changed since the four-minute mile

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
fewer fedoras, less pipe-smoking and a lot more drugs I think.

As we approach the 60th anniversary of the four-minute mile, Mary Beard reflects on what has changed in the sport of running.

In a few days' time it will be the 60th anniversary of the first four-minute mile. On 6 May 1954, at Iffley Road sports ground in Oxford, Roger Bannister, supported by his friends Chris Brasher and Chris Chataway, ran a mile race in three minutes 59.4 seconds. If we leave aside the story of James Parrott, who is supposed to have raced a mile around the streets of Shoreditch in three minutes something on 9 May 1770, this was the first time a human being had cracked the four-minute mile barrier. Certainly, the first time it was fully ratified by an array of official stopwatches.

When I was a child in the late 1950s, my parents taught me about Bannister's mile just as they taught me about the first climbing of Mount Everest. These were meant, I suppose, to be patriotic lessons in the physical prowess of Britain and the Commonwealth. I can still vividly conjure up in my mind the famous image of Bannister breaking through the finishing tape in triumph (though frankly I now think that he looks more in agony than in triumph).

more

BBC News - A Point of View: How running has changed since the four-minute mile

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Spare me Mary bloody Beard.

I haven't liked her since her appearance on BBC's Question Time in Boston, Lincolnshire, in which she lectured the disgruntled inhabitants of that now mainly Polish town that immigration is good for the town.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The former neurologist is, ironically, suffering from a neurological disorder.

Tuesday marks the 60th anniversary of his sub-four-minute mile:

Sir Roger Bannister reveals Parkinson's disease battle

By Jerome Sale, Sports editor, BBC Radio Oxford
2 May 2014

It is almost 60 years since Sir Roger Bannister ran a sub-four-minute mile

Sir Roger Bannister, the first man to run a mile in less than four minutes, has revealed he has Parkinson's disease.

Sir Roger, 85, made sporting history with his landmark run at Oxford's Iffley Road track on 6 May 1954.

The former neurologist said: "I am having troubles with walking. Ironically, it's a neurological disorder - Parkinson's disease."

He was diagnosed with the condition three years ago.

'Gentle irony'

Sir Roger told BBC Radio Oxford: "I have seen, and looked after, patients with so many neurological and other disorders that I am not surprised I have acquired an illness.

"It's in the nature of things, there's a gentle irony to it.

"I am being well looked after and I don't intend to let it interfere - as much as I can.

"Just consider the alternatives - that is the way I look at it. One of my pleasures in life, apart from running, has been walking.

Intellectually I am not [degenerating] and what is walking anyway?"

Sir Roger had planned to retire at the 1952 Olympic Games if he won the 1500m - he came fourth

Sir Roger shocked the world when he ran a mile in three minutes 59.4 seconds to become the first person to break the four-minute barrier.

Bannister was helped by Sir Christopher Chataway and Chris Brasher, who acted as pacesetters.

Brasher died in 2003 after a short illness and Chataway died from cancer in January.

First Four Minute Mile-HQ(Roger Bannister:1954) - YouTube

Read more: BBC News - Sir Roger Bannister reveals Parkinson's disease battle

Last edited:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Spare me Mary bloody Beard.

I haven't liked her since her appearance on BBC's Question Time in Boston, Lincolnshire, in which she lectured the disgruntled inhabitants of that now mainly Polish town that immigration is good for the town.

Thank you for your prejudiced, bigoted opinion on this mean nothing fluff piece.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thank you for your prejudiced, bigoted opinion on this mean nothing fluff piece.

I doubt the people of Boston, Lincolnshire, who have suffered from the influx of Eastern Europeans in their town (it has more of them on a per capita basis than any other town in Britain other than London) and were incensed when this Mary Beard, one of those Liberal Establishment figures whose main speciality is being patronising to people (and her ugly looks make her LOOK like a Liberal Establishment figure), told them in no uncertain terms on an episode of Question Time in the town that immigration is good for their town and they should stop whingeing.

And then, having had the audacity to tell the good people of Boston that they should shut up and put up with the high, unchecked influx of immigrants into their town she then, like all Liberal members of the Twitterati (including the likes of Stephen Fry) then took to Twitter to announce that lots of nasty people are after her making "misogynystic" comments about her (the likes of Beard and Fry seem to think they can say what they like about other people but get rather sensitive when abuse is thrown back at them).

And it's alright for people like you to cry racism when you live in the eighth-emptiest country on the planet and do not suffer from evermore overcrowding and the resulting strain on public services like Britain is.

The trouble with Establishment, metropolitan liberals like you, your mates on this forum and Mary Beard is that you are so completely ignorant of normal, everyday life and the life of the ordinary working man in the street.

It’s not misogyny, Professor Beard. It’s you

Rod Liddle
26 January 2013
The Spectator

Patronising, arrogant and out-of-touch liberal: Historian Mary Beard on BBC's Question Time in Boston, Lincolnshire, telling the disgruntled townsfolk, who are concerned about the influx of immigrants into their town, that immigration is "good" for Boston

Why is Mary Beard asked on by TV producers? Because they think she looks like a loony. She has to realise this.
Oh, this age! How tasteless and ill-bred it is.’
— Gaius Valerius Catullus

‘I do not know whom Mary Beard is but wyth a name lyke that she surely has a third teat and a hairy clopper.’
— Internet posting following Professor Mary Beard’s appearance on Question Time
So Catullus, mate — things have not got much better over the last two thousand years. People, it seems, are still ill-bred and tasteless, as that second quote up there would suggest. It was not the most tasteless comment on the internet over the last week or so, or even the most tasteless to be directed at Mary Beard, Professor of Classics at Newnham College, Cambridge. There are others, most so vulgar even I wouldn’t repeat them, from quite the most ghastly ill-bred people. I suppose it is shocking that someone of Professor Beard’s standing and breeding is forced to suffer its hideous manifestations.

What happened was this. Professor Beard was invited to take part on the BBC’s Question Time programme, where she made what can be politely described as an utter fool of herself. I run a small, light-hearted competition every year on my blog for people to vote for the most stupid woman to have appeared on Question Time in the past 12 months. It is but the third week of January and Mary is already a shoo-in, I fear, unless they ask (Liberal Democrat) Lynne Featherstone — the Manchester United, nay the Barcelona, of this particular award — back on to the show.

Anyway, having performed with stumbling vapidity in her earlier answers, she turned to the question of immigration and the influx of Bulgarians and Romanians we are all looking forward to welcoming to our shores next January. Mary managed to appear smug, patrician and fabulously ill-informed in her answer, which was to the effect that a study in Lincolnshire had suggested that immigration had caused nary a problem at all but had added immeasurably to the rich diversity of the area — and so, she concluded, there would be no problems at all from this next wave.

Unfortunately, she was speaking in Lincolnshire at the time and the lowly born, perhaps ill-bred audience quickly disabused her of this ludicrous notion with multiple descriptions of what it was like to live in a place which has been swamped with eastern European workers; their lack of homes, the crime, the antisocial behaviour, the pressure on local resources and so on.

Beyond the confines of the programme, Beard’s remarks were greeted with frank hilarity and in some cases anger. She was very quickly made ‘Twat of the Week’ on a non-aligned website and the insults started flowing. Most of them were accurate refutations of her vacuous argument, or expressions of annoyance at her middle-class, metropolitan insouciance. But it is true that some ridiculed her appearance as well.

Outrageous, tweeted Beard! (Yes, the Prof tweets, and that tells you something.) ‘The misogyny here is truly gob-smacking,’ she whined: all those comments were ‘truly vile’. She triumphantly listed the most graphic comments on her blog and concluded that the abuse would ‘be quite enough to put many women off appearing in public’. If only that were true in Mary’s case, but I strongly suspect it isn’t. On the broader point, that the comments are vile — yes, indeed. I have made the case before that the internet has shown us as we really are, which is not terribly nice, all things considered. But misogyny? First, the majority of abuse was about what she said — not how she looked. But does she really believe that men do not get the same level of abuse when they have angered people on TV, or in print, or on the internet? Does she think that in the case of men, the comments are restricted to a coolly delivered and logical series of counter-arguments which eschew any and all personal denigration? Is she really that thick?

I have lost count of the times my own p enis — a harmless enough creature, really — has been invoked, most usually by women, during an attempted refutation of some point I have made in an article. It is, I have been assured, minuscule, or inoperative, or unwashed, or diseased, or nonexistent. Sometimes all of these things at once. And as with Mary, the remainder of my physical being is not left unremarked: fat, hideous, stinking, vile, ugly… oh, lordy, we could be here for weeks. It is nothing to do with misogyny; it is just what people reach for when they, perhaps temporarily, hate someone. I remember a short while ago a complaint that Muslims in the public eye were subjected to the most horrid nastiness — the journalist Mehdi Hasan was one of the loudest complainants. Again, no, Mehdi; it’s not your religion, or the colour of your skin — it’s you. It’s just you.

But there’s one other thing in the case of Mary Beard. How many professors of classics have you seen on BBC Question Time, other than Beardie? None. How many other professors of classics have been invited to take part in Jamie’s Dream School, or been invited to present a series on BBC2? None other. Just Beard. Why is this? Is it because she is so absolutely brilliant at the classics that they think she ought to be on a cooking show? Nope: it’s because of the way she looks. They think she looks like a loony. And the TV companies, the producers, love that. If they can’t get a hunk or a fox, they like an eccentric. It generates a reaction, not always entirely pleasant. And if Mary doesn’t grasp that her appearance is precisely why she — along with Grayson Perry — gets to be on TV, then she had best not look at what the genuine loonies have to say on Twitter.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/rod-liddle/8830261/its-not-misogyny-professor-beard-its-you/

Professor Mary Beard should visit Boston, Lincs, as I did

Peter Hitchens
19 January 2013
Daily Mail

I see the distinguished Cambridge Classics scholar Mary Beard has been involved in an argument, on BBC Question Time, about the effect of mass immigration on the Lincolnshire town of Boston. She seems to have been persuaded by an official report that all is well there. A member of the audience took her up on this pretty volubly. I strongly recommend that she visits and sees for herself, as I did in 2011. My account is here Boston Lincolngrad: The strange transformation of a sleepy English town | Mail Online

For reasons that still escape me, the Boston council took umbrage at what is a simple, factual description of an undoubted problem. What is it about the liberal middle class that makes them so uninterested in the problems of the British working class, as it used to be known? Why do they nervously imagine that it is ‘bigoted’ to draw attention to the huge and lasting effects of mass immigration?

Boston is a beautiful place set amid spectacular big skies, and everyone who can should try to visit its lovely church and its soaring tower, one of the glories of England and in my view one of the sights of the world (and I’ve seen a few). It’s a fairly short journey from Cambridge, and still on the railway network. If Professor Beard wants to go, I can put her in touch with a comfortable and convenient Bed and Breakfast establishment close to a rather good pub serving excellent food, and she will find many local people happy to guide her round the district and talk to her. She’s obviously an intelligent and thoughtful person, despite her standard-issue flat-pack leftist views which probably aren't really her fault. It would be gratifying if she could revise her opinions in the light of the facts, as we are supposed to do.

Ban the booze: Locals in Boston have started a campaign to stop people drinking on the streets of the town as rowdy street-drinking (and public urination) are two of the local complaints against migrants

Professor Mary Beard should visit Boston, Lincs, as I did - Mail Online - Peter Hitchens blog

Last edited:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! My guy who is 65 just finished his marathon in 3:40 which will qualify him for his forth Boston Marathon next year... so happy for him.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Brevity's not enough for the liberals. They need to have it drummed into them.

In all those words though you never actually explained what the problem is. All you say is that there are a lot of Polish people in this town and you never give any reason why that is a problem.

We are not all like you. We don't all assume that eastern European people are a problem in themselves.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
In all those words though you never actually explained what the problem is.

Here's what the first brilliant article said:

Unfortunately, she was speaking in Lincolnshire at the time and the lowly born, perhaps ill-bred audience quickly disabused her of this ludicrous notion with multiple descriptions of what it was like to live in a place which has been swamped with eastern European workers; their lack of homes, the crime, the antisocial behaviour, the pressure on local resources and so on.

All you say is that there are a lot of Polish people
There are, and there are too many of them. This is England, not Poland. And England is full. We should send them all over to Canada instead. It's empty and needs filling up with eastern Europeans.

We are not all like you.
No. Like all metropolitan liberals you ignore the concerns of the ordinary, working class man on the street and denigrate him as "raaaaccccciiiissssssst!" when he airs his legitimate concerns over immigration into a country which is already overcrowded.

Like most liberals you'll live in a posh, middle class area like Islington and have never had immigrants living in your vicinity.

We don't all assume that eastern European people are a problem in themselves.
Try telling that to the poor folks of Boston who have had to erect signs telling their new, lovely Eastern European neighbours not to defecate in the street.

Well, the "mile" has become the "1600 metres".
Next

Thankfully, not in Britain. We still use proper measures here. Goodness knows what mess Canadian roadsigns are in if they're all in metres.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Here's what the first brilliant article said:

There are, and there are too many of them. This is England, not Poland. And England is full. We should send themm all over to Canada instead. It's empty and needs filling up with eastern Europeans.

No. Like all metropolitan liberals you ignore the concerns of the ordinary, working class man on the street and denigrate him as "raaaaccccciiiisssssss!" when he airs his legitimate concerns over immigration into a country which is already overcrowded.

Like most liberals you'll live in a posh, middle class area like Islington and have never had immigrants living in your vicinity.

Try telling that to the poor folks of Boston who have had to erect signs telling their new, lovely Eastern European neighbours not to defecate in the street.

Thankfully, not in Britain. We still use proper measures here. Goodness knows what mess Canadian roadsigns are in if they're all in metres.

Lol, give me a break. I have been to jolly old England before and it certainly is not like English people never get sloppy drunk and cause problems.

Do polish people take up more space than the average person? How are they putting more strain on housing or resources than anyone else?

Again, the crux of your argument seems to simply be that they are polish and you don't want them in your area.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Lol, give me a break. I have been to jolly old England before and it certainly is not like English people never get sloppy drunk and cause problems.

Why is it that when Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians move into an area the crime rate suddenly shoots up? The Romanians especially take up a huge chunk, if not most, of those people in this country convicted of cashpoint thefts.

Do polish people take up more space than the average person? How are they putting more strain on housing or resources than anyone else?
Poles DON'T take up more strain on housing and resources than anyone else.

ALL immigrants, no matter where they're from, put huge strains on our public services, like schools and hospitals, in this already-overcrowded land of ours, and many public services are struggling to cope.

It's not like in Canada where you have a mere eight people occupying each square mile. There are 679 people occupying each square mile in Britain (a whopping 1,054 people per square mile in England). Pro-immigration Canadians like you just forget how crowded it already is here. You seem to think there's plenty of space like there is in Canada.

Again, the crux of your argument seems to simply be that they are polish and you don't want them in your area.
Yeah. I don't want Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians or any other immigrants living in my area or anyone else's in this country. England is full and the drawbridge should be pulled up.

The English people will let our Liberal Ruling Establishment know this when when we vote UKIP en masse on 22nd May.

Last edited:

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Why is it that when Poles, Romanians and Bulgarians move into an area the crime rate suddenly shoots up? The Romanians especially take up a huge chunk, if not most, of those people in this country convicted of cashpoint thefts.

Polish DON'T take up more strain on housing and resources than anyone else. ALL immigrants, not matter where they're from, put huge strains on our public services in this already-overcrowded land of ours.

Yeah. I don't want Poles, Romanians, Bulgarians or any other immigrants living in my area or anyone else's in this country. England is full and the drawbridge should be pulled up.

The English people will let our Liberal Ruling Establishment know when when we vote UKIP en masse of 22nd May.

What country has ever really been successful by enacting protectionist policies?

BTW, according to stats, "A rise in A8 migrants as a share of the population is associated with a 0.4% fall in property crime and has no relationship to violent crime"

"A8: The eight East European countries that joined the European Union in May 2004 (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia)."

Immigration and Crime: Evidence for the UK and Other Countries | The Migration Observatory

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What country has ever really been successful by enacting protectionist policies?

What country can ever be successful when a huge, unchecked influx of immigrants causes its public services to collapse?

BTW, according to stats, "A rise in A8 migrants as a share of the population is associated with a 0.4% fall in property crime and has no relationship to violent crime"

"A8: The eight East European countries that joined the European Union in May 2004 (Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia)."

Immigration and Crime: Evidence for the UK and Other Countries | The Migration Observatory
A tenth of all crime in some parts of Britain is now committed by eastern European immigrants, shocking new figures reveal.

Police figures for the worst-affected areas show one in ten of all those arrested have come to the UK from the eight former Soviet states which joined the EU in 2004 - sending a massive wave of 600,000 immigrants flocking to this country.

The figures emerged as a leaked Whitehall memo warned of an eastern European crime explosion on Britain's streets once Romania and Bulgaria become the latest states to join the EU in two months time.

The secret Cabinet Office paper sent to Tony Blair and senior ministers highlights the risk of a sharp rise in street violence, people-trafficking, prostitution, cash-machine thefts and fraud.

The document claims that Romanian crime gangs are behind an astonishing "80-85 per cent" of cash machine crime in Britain - even before the country joins the EU.

Last night opposition MPs demanded that ministers publish the leaked memo in full, claiming it had vital implications for public safety.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
What country can ever be successful when a huge, unchecked influx of immigrants causes its public services to collapse?

A tenth of all crime in some parts of Britain is now committed by eastern European immigrants, shocking new figures reveal.

Police figures for the worst-affected areas show one in ten of all those arrested have come to the UK from the eight former Soviet states which joined the EU in 2004 - sending a massive wave of 600,000 immigrants flocking to this country.

The figures emerged as a leaked Whitehall memo warned of an eastern European crime explosion on Britain's streets once Romania and Bulgaria become the latest states to join the EU in two months time.

The secret Cabinet Office paper sent to Tony Blair and senior ministers highlights the risk of a sharp rise in street violence, people-trafficking, prostitution, cash-machine thefts and fraud.

The document claims that Romanian crime gangs are behind an astonishing "80-85 per cent" of cash machine crime in Britain - even before the country joins the EU.

Last night opposition MPs demanded that ministers publish the leaked memo in full, claiming it had vital implications for public safety.

Lol, if you are getting all your info from the daily mail instead of actual research articles like the one I posted, I guess that explains your views.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Lol, if you are getting all your info from the daily mail instead of actual research articles like the one I posted, I guess that explains your views.

The Daily Mail is a great newspaper. I'd rather trust that and the police than that lefty, pro-immigration website you posted.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The Daily Mail is a great newspaper. I'd rather trust that and the police than that lefty, pro-immigration website you posted.

You mean the university of Oxford?

The mail article doesn't even link to any police sources, so how can you claim "the police" as a source of this info?

There are good reasons why people don't use newspaper articles as sources for research.