2014 Sochi Paralympic Games

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Opening Ceremonies were held today for the Paralympic Games and the house was packed. Even Putin took time out from his busy schedule to attend and I actually caught him smiling after he officially opened the games. A highlight for me was the woman who played the 36-glass organ. The music she was able to pull from those wineglasses was just stunning. Delicate, intricate melodies and not a single missed note. She was mesmerizing. I enjoyed these ceremonies not the least for being able to listen to the Russian National anthem again. There was a cool twist to the presentation this time when the singers who had appeared in identical blue robes suddenly shrugged them off to reveal a myriad of colorful costumes representing the diversity of peoples in Russia. It was pretty cool.

The Ukrainians have a team at the games and a spokesperson stated they would stay as long as violence does not escalate and their athletes are safe. During the OC, only the Ukrainian flag bearer entered the stadium, the remaining athletes chose not to attend.

Sonja Gaudet - World Champion curler carried the flag for our Canadian Team.

Canada has 54 athletes competing in 72 events.

Competition opens tomorrow and runs through until March 16 and CBC is covering the competitions.

CBC.ca - Program Guide - Schedules

More on the games and the athletes at:

Schedule & Results | IPC

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Opening Ceremonies were held today for the Paralympic Games and the house was packed. Even Putin took time out from his busy schedule to attend and I actually caught him smiling after he officially opened the games. A highlight for me was the woman who played the 36-glass organ. The music she was able to pull from those wineglasses was just stunning. Delicate, intricate melodies and not a single missed note. She was mesmerizing. I enjoyed these ceremonies not the least for being able to listen to the Russian National anthem again. There was a cool twist to the presentation this time when the singers who had appeared in identical blue robes suddenly shrugged them off to reveal a myriad of colorful costumes representing the diversity of peoples in Russia. It was pretty cool.

The Ukrainians have a team at the games and a spokesperson stated they would stay as long as violence does not escalate and their athletes are safe. During the OC, only the Ukrainian flag bearer entered the stadium, the remaining athletes chose not to attend.

Sonja Gaudet - World Champion curler carried the flag for our Canadian Team.

Canada has 54 athletes competing in 72 events.

Competition opens tomorrow and runs through until March 16 and CBC is covering the competitions.

CBC.ca - Program Guide - Schedules

More on the games and the athletes at:

Schedule & Results | IPC

It was a great event(though I am 100% sure that the "glass organ" lady was just pretending to play over a recorded track).

It should be interesting to watch these games. I am especially excited to see debut of snowboard cross.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So far in competition today, Canada's Mark Arendz won Silver in a men's biatholon event. Canada's wheelchair curlers won both their games against GB and Russia today. The Men's Sledge Hockey game is on right now. Canada is playing Sweden and are up 4 - zip in the first period.

GO CANADA, GO! :canada:

So far in competition today, Canada's Mark Arendz won Silver in a men's biatholon event. Canada's wheelchair curlers won both their games against GB and Russia today. The Men's Sledge Hockey game is on right now. Canada is playing Sweden and are up 4 - zip in the first period.

GO CANADA, GO! :canada:

Two more medals for Canada, a Silver and Bronze in Men's downhill events today............and Canada is now up 5 - zip against Sweden early in the second.

So far there seems to be really good attendance at all the events I have watched - that's the spirit..

..............make that 6 to zip for Canada. Rock the Ice guys!!!!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
It was a great event(though I am 100% sure that the "glass organ" lady was just pretending to play over a recorded track).

Really?? Scott said that she is world famous and plays concerts all over the world. I don't believe for a minute that was a sound track. My daughter used to play a glass organ and she was wonderful to listen too.

They seem to be doing well - despite the lack of political support. Good show!

This is where living in a 'bubble' is really an advantage for the athletes, I believe - that and their ability to concentrate on the games at hand.

Greg Westlake with his 127th international goal - started as a goal tender. 7 - zip now at the end of the 2nd. Yeah, Canada! :canada:

I'm so glad the Swedes got a goal as Canada just went ahead 10 - 1 late in the 3rd.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Really?? Scott said that she is world famous and plays concerts all over the world. I don't believe for a minute that was a sound track. My daughter used to play a glass organ and she was wonderful to listen too.

I have no doubt she can play, and she was most likely the person who played the track that was played. They pretty much never have live instruments in events like these though. It is too hard to set up the sound.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I have no doubt she can play, and she was most likely the person who played the track that was played. They pretty much never have live instruments in events like these though. It is too hard to set up the sound.

Okay.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Sledge hockey: Canada ahead by a deuce after the same - over Norway. Not an easy game for our guys - the Norwegians don't let up.

And, our Team Canada Mixed Curlers added another win to their credit today. 3 - 0 so far.

GO, CANADA, GO! :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The Canadian Men's Sledge Hockey Team rolled over Norway today in an impressive 10 to 1 victory. These guys are good - the hits they give and take just floor me. Apparently the read test for the team will come when they play the US - according to analysts.

Way to go, guys!

Canada also won 2 more Bronze medals in downhill events - one of them for the visually impaired. Hard to describe my feelings as I watch these athletes speeding down an icy hill knowing they can barely see the ground in front of them.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain has won its first ever Winter Paralympics gold medal.

And GB's Jade Etherington, who has already won a silver, won bronze in the same event.

Sochi Paralympics: Kelly Gallagher wins Paralympic gold

10 March 2014
BBC Sport

Kelly Gallagher has won ParalympicGB's first ever gold at the Winter Games with victory in the visually impaired Super-G in Sochi.

The 28-year-old from Bangor in County Down and her guide, Charlotte Evans, were first on the Rosa Khutor course and clocked one minute 28.72 seconds.

"It was nerve-wracking but I'm delighted with the result," Gallagher told BBC Sport.

Downhill silver medallist Jade Etherington came away with bronze.

In the sit-ski event, Britain's Anna Turney was fourth, with Germany's Anna Schaffelhuber winning her second gold of the competition.

Gallagher and Evans were keen to make amends for finishing last of six competitors in Saturday's downhill.

"Normally when we compete, even in big events like World Championships, there is nobody interested in what we are doing," said Gallagher.

"But here there has been a lot of hype and pressure, as well as expectation, and maybe we let some of that in.

"Today we just decided to ski and see what happens.

"I have to thank Charlotte for getting me to the line. We just threw ourselves at it. I prayed for the strength to ski and have fun."

Evans added: "I was yelling a lot and she wasn't doing what I told her, but finally it paid off. It didn't feel as good as we wanted to on the course, but who cares.

"We won a gold medal and it feels amazing."

Etherington, the second competitor out, recovered from hitting one of the gates for her and guide Caroline Powell to finish in 1:29.76.

But they saw Russian's Aleksandra Frantceva beat her time with 1:28.94 and take silver, while downhill champion Henrieta Farkasova of Slovakia made an error midway through her run and lost time to put her out of medal contention.

"I made a big mistake going straight into the gate and losing my pole," Etherington explained. "I got it back and Caroline told me not to slow down too much, be strong and to push on the outside of my skis.

"Winning a silver in the downhill gave me a lot of confidence."

Gallagher, who has oculocutaneous albinism, a condition with affects the pigment in her hair, skin and eyes, started skiing for the first time when she was 17 on a trip to Andorra and began working with Evans, from Kent, in late 2010, just months after finishing fourth in the Giant Slalom at the Vancouver Games with previous guide Claire Robb.

Kelly Gallagher facts

Born: 18 May, 1985 in Northern Ireland
Events: Visually impaired super combined, slalom, giant slalom, Super-G, downhill
Games Attended: Sochi 2014, Vancouver 2010
Achievements:
Britain's first ever Winter Paralympic gold medallist after winning the Super-G in Sochi
Silver medallist in Super-G at 2013 World Championships in La Molina, Spain
Fourth in Giant Slalom at Vancouver Paralympics in 2010

BBC Sport - Sochi Paralympics: Kelly Gallagher wins Paralympic gold

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada took one medal today and it was a Golden one for Brian McKeever as he easily breezed to victory in a Men's x-country ski event.

Rock on Brian!

Our Canadian curlers meanwhile took one against the US but dropped one to Russian. Still, they remain top of the pack with the single loss.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Brian McKeever had barely started the x-country race when a Russian skier accidentally stepped on the back of his ski and down he went. No quit in Brian though as he picked himself up and continued on to finish the race in 1rst place for his 9th Paralympic Gold Medal. Rock on Brian.

Canada's Sledge Hockey is preparing to play the US in the Men's semi-final tomorrow and our Wheelchair Curling team has also advanced to the semi-final.

Kimberly Joines took a Silver Medal in the Women’s slalom event. However, she may be downgraded if one of the German skiers wins her disqualification appeal. In that event, Kimberly would be awarded the Bronze Medal.

Conditions were absolutely abysmal for all the competitions. There were bare patches on some of the ski slopes and all the athletes had to contend with dense fog and sometimes driving snow.

ROCK ON TEAM CANADA :canada:

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I was watching Brian McKeever win his second Gold in the Sprint XCountry at Sochi after winning Gold in the 20K earlier in the week. Except for the need for a guide for the blind nordic skiier he could easily compete in the able bodied sports. Well done. Last i heard Canada's only golds.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Canada stoned the competition in Wheelchair curling to take home the Gold Medal.

Rock on Wheelchair Curlers! :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Closing ceremonies will get underway today as the Sochi Paralympics come to a close. Canada will finish 3rd in the Gold Medal count with 7 in total. We also took 2 Silver and 7 Bronze. Simply a fantastic effort by our Canadian Paralympians. Good on all of you and thank you for all your efforts.

:canada:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
with the current crimea crisis I didn't think that the athletes would want to participate.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Good result for Canada.. third in the medal count as with the abled bodied Games. Well done to our Canadian athletes.. with big congrats to triple gold medal winner Brian McKeever, the big star of the Games.

Russia did a terrific job with this, all politics aside, it was well supported with great venues and atmosphere.

Lovely closing ceremonies. I really liked the symbolic centre piece of the Icebreaker Mir (peace).. carving through the turbulence of the world. Montreal's Cirque de Soleil's artistic contribution to the festivities was beautifully orchestrated.

Last edited: