Canada vs USA WC rugby qualifier

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Canada beat the USA 27-9 in the first of two total point games to see who goes to the 2015 World Cup of Rugby.

The game was played in South Carolina. The second game will be Saturday the 24th in Toronto. If I was in TO I'd definitely go to it. It will be a war.

The US would have to win by more than 18 points, however Canada is unlikely to go down to that kind of defeat. If there is a blowout it is more likely to be administered by Canada.

Canada defeats U.S. in Rugby World Cup qualifier

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
England, which is the host nation, will win the 2015 Rugby World Cup. We also won it in 2003 (against the Aussies in the Final in their own backyard).

Canadian winger Matt Evans, second right, breaks through a USA tackle during the first half of the 2015 Rugby World Cup Qualifying Series opener in Charleston, South Carolina. Saturday Aug. 17, 2013

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
If Canada wins the aggregate score after next Saturday we would qualify for pool D at the 2015 Worlds. Others in pool D are France, Italy, Ireland and a yet to be named European qualifier.

The loser of these matches can still qualify by beating Uruguay in an upcoming home and away series.

Official RWC 2015 Site - Canada in pole position in RWC2015 qualifier

As of last week Canada is world ranked 15. The US 18. Although Canada has won the last 6 or 7 games against the US, the teams are considered to be a pretty close match.

International Rugby Board - World Rankings: Full world rankings

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I read in an article on that site, rugby is the fastest growing team sport in America.

Not a chance.

I love rugby and on a British sports site where I work as mod I've said it is the King of Team Sports.

But fasting growing in USA? Not even close. Lacrosse is growing at a much faster rate overall and in high schools bowling is growing even faster. Rugby has its fanatical following and they say that as part of their marketing. But it is not true.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Not a chance.

I love rugby and on a British sports site where I work as mod I've said it is the King of Team Sports.

But fasting growing in USA? Not even close. Lacrosse is growing at a much faster rate overall and in high schools bowling is growing even faster. Rugby has its fanatical following and they say that as part of their marketing. But it is not true.
I kind of wondered. In the US there is so much going on at the collegiate level in football, basketball etc I can't imagine it getting a lot of attention. It doesn't get much up here, however rugby is probably more popular in schools than football. In fact I had a friend who went from rugby to college football, and ultimately the CFL, without ever playing a down of high school football.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
University of California used to draw crowds of 40,000+ in the 1920s for rugby and the USA remains the only undefeated team in the Olympics for this great sport.

But trust me that today most Yanks don't have a clue as to what rugby is.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
If Canada wins the aggregate score after next Saturday we would qualify for pool D at the 2015 Worlds. Others in pool D are France, Italy, Ireland and a yet to be named European qualifier.

The loser of these matches can still qualify by beating Uruguay in an upcoming home and away series.

Official RWC 2015 Site - Canada in pole position in RWC2015 qualifier

As of last week Canada is world ranked 15. The US 18. Although Canada has won the last 6 or 7 games against the US, the teams are considered to be a pretty close match.

International Rugby Board - World Rankings: Full world rankings

France, Italy and Ireland will each present stiff opposition for a minor rugby nation like Canada.

But if Canada keeps growing as a rugby union nation, who knows what may happen ten years from now? It's just like how Italy as grown as a rugby nation over the last 15 years.

Not a chance.

Which code of rugby do you prefer? Rugby union (which is the sport mentioned above) or rugby league?

I come from Northern England where rugby league is king, just as in Australia. Rugby League's Super League is big up here, with teams like Wigan Warriors, St Helens, Widnes Vikings, Leeds Rhinos, Hull FC, Hull Kingston Rovers, Huddersfield Giants, Bradford Bulls, Castleford Tigers, Catalan Dragons, Warrington Wolves, Salford City Reds, Wakefield Trinity Wildcats and (a southern team) London Broncos.

The rest of the British Isles, though - Southern England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland - it's rugby union which rules. Rugby union also rules in France, Italy and New Zealand.

Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors getting physical in the Stobart Super League

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Blackleaf, do you prefer League over Union?

I can't see Canada getting to the highest level in any time frame. We might pull an upset here or there but, like Gopher's USA, unless it gets more coverage and attention it won't grow like it could. I just visited Canada's number one sports media via mobile phone and couldn't find any reference to rugby. Pretty difficult to gain attention in Canada when sports media can't stop talking about hockey, no matter what time of year. If a hockey player is discovered visiting a washroom there will be nationwide coverage of the event, including post dump analysis and predictions (with extensive polling) on when the next visit will be.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackleaf, do you prefer League over Union?

I'm a Northerner, so I prefer league. League has more gameplay, is less stop-start-stop-start, and its rules are a bit less complicated than union. In union you can be awarded penalties for all sorts of things, and it seems that in every game there's always some law that you never knew existed which has been broken in which a penalty is awarded.

You watch a game of union and the referee suddenly blows his whistle and the TV commentator may say something like: "France's Number 8 Imanol Harinordoquy has been penalised for picking his nose at the back of the scrum!" and you think "I never knew you could be penalised for that." And then the opposition team has the opportunity to score three points.

I like rugby union, though. They should just make the rules less complicated.

I can't see Canada getting to the highest level in any time frame. We might pull an upset here or there but, like Gopher's USA, unless it gets more coverage and attention it won't grow like it could. I just visited Canada's number one sports media via mobile phone and couldn't find any reference to rugby. Pretty difficult to gain attention in Canada when sports media can't stop talking about hockey, no matter what time of year. If a hockey player is discovered visiting a washroom there will be nationwide coverage of the event, including post dump analysis and predictions (with extensive polling) on when the next visit will be.

Don't be too pessimistic. People said the same thing about Italy not too long ago. Italy is a football mad nation and you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone there talking about rugby. People used to say that rugby union would never catch on in Italy. But in 2000 Italy joined the Five Nations Championship - to make it the Six Nations Championship - and the sport has just grown and grown. Italy were once the annual whipping boys in the competition but they get better and better each year and it won't be long until they ebcome a force to be reckoned with.

Maybe one day Canada will join the Six Nations to make it a Seven Nations. Joining the world's biggest annual rugby union tournament might help raise the profile of the sport in Canada.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Blackie,

League is # 1 in my book - it is very similar to gridiron football so that more Yanks should watch it.

I well remember when Leeds was the champs back in the 1960s. They were not called Rhynos back then and I believe none of these teams (they were semi-pro) had names. Didn't make much money but they worked real hard. The NRL is defo the world's greatest sports league, bar none. I log on to VIP Box to watch rugby as it is presented every week.

Mal Meninga is one of my all time athletes. He played 100% all game long. None better. NONE.

Now that I think about it, did you see that magnificent move "This Sporting Life"?

This Sporting Life - Bing Images

Sensational movie - superb acting. And it introduced Bill Hartnell as Dad Johnson - when Verity Lambert saw him play that role so well, it inspired her to use him as the original Dr Who.

I also like union to some extent though prefer R7s.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Blackie,

League is # 1 in my book - it is very similar to gridiron football so that more Yanks should watch it.

Yeah. League is more similar to gridiron. The rugby league pitch markings are more similar to gridiron and both sports involve the concept of a limited number of 'tackles'/'downs' (rugby league teams have six tackles and gridiron teams have four downs). Rugby union does not have this.

There are differences as well, of course. Rugby league has more continous gamplay than gridiron and rugby league players wear less padding and don't wear helmets, unlike gridiron players, even though rugby league is probably the world's most brutal sport after boxing.

Rugby league

Gridiron

Rugby union

Comparison of American football and rugby league - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I well remember when Leeds was the champs back in the 1960s.They were not called
Rhynos back then and I believe none of these teams (they were semi-pro) had
names. Didn't make much money but they worked real hard.

1961 is the year that Leeds won their first championship and they've won it another eight times since, including six times in the last nine years. In the 1960s, though, Leeds were professional. So were all the other rugby league teams. Rugby league was professional the moment it was formed in 1895 after the Northern Rugby Football Union broke away from the established Rugby Football Union to give us the two codes of rugby that we have today. As for Leeds' name, they only became known as the Rhinos in 1997, just after the Super League was founded.

Rugby union, however, only became professional in 1995.

The NRL is defo the world's greatest sports league, bar none. I log on to VIP
Box to watch rugby as it is presented every week.

The NRL (Australia and New Zealand) is the most viewed and most attended rugby competition in the world. And that's in both codes of rugby. I watch it but not as much as I watch Super League (England and France). There's a rivalry between both leagues - and, don't forget, the winners of Super League play the winners of the NRL in the World Club Challenge every year - so I don't like to praise the NRL too much.

It's a pity rugby league doesn't have as big a following as rugby union. Most people outside Australia - the only country where it's the national sport - and Northern England just don't seem that interested in it. They prefer the posh, public schoolboy version of rugby.

Mal Meninga is one of my all time athletes. He played 100% all game long. None better. NONE.

Now that I think about it, did you see that magnificent move "This Sporting Life"?

This Sporting Life - Bing Images

Sensational movie - superb acting. And it introduced Bill Hartnell as Dad Johnson - when Verity Lambert saw him play that role so well, it inspired her to use him as the original Dr Who.

I also like union to some extent though prefer R7s.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
Not a chance.

there's about 0 chance lacrosse is growing faster than rugby, and i don't even know how to respond to the high school bowling, lmao.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
there's about 0 chance lacrosse is growing faster than rugby, and i don't even know how to respond to the high school bowling, lmao.

I don't know how to respond to bowling either.

But yeah... lacrosse is bigger already. Pretty much all of the high schools in my state have lacrosse teams... boys and girls... no rugby teams.

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
lacrosse is definitely not more popular than rugby , not worldwide anyways. maybe in canada and u.s , but i'm not sure.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005

Just for your information, bowling has been the fastest growing high school sport for a while in the USA:

Varsity Bowling Becoming The Fastest-Growing High School Sport - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal | SportsBusiness Daily Global [2007]

Bowling growing at the high school level - The Morning Sun [2012]

Lacrosse is second but rugby isn't even close. You may do your own research for further verification if you wish.

Yeah. League is more similar to gridiron. The rugby league pitch markings are more similar to gridiron and both sports involve the concept of a limited number of 'tackles'/'downs' (rugby league teams have six tackles and gridiron teams have four downs). Rugby union does not have this.

There are differences as well, of course. Rugby league has more continous gamplay than gridiron and rugby league players wear less padding and don't wear helmets, unlike gridiron players, even though rugby league is probably the world's most brutal sport after boxing.

1961 is the year that Leeds won their first championship and they've won it another eight times since, including six times in the last nine years. In the 1960s, though, Leeds were professional. So were all the other rugby league teams. Rugby league was professional the moment it was formed in 1895 after the Northern Rugby Football Union broke away from the established Rugby Football Union to give us the two codes of rugby that we have today. As for Leeds' name, they only became known as the Rhinos in 1997, just after the Super League was founded.

Rugby union, however, only became professional in 1995.

The NRL (Australia and New Zealand) is the most viewed and most attended rugby competition in the world. And that's in both codes of rugby. I watch it but not as much as I watch Super League (England and France). There's a rivalry between both leagues - and, don't forget, the winners of Super League play the winners of the NRL in the World Club Challenge every year - so I don't like to praise the NRL too much.

It's a pity rugby league doesn't have as big a following as rugby union. Most people outside Australia - the only country where it's the national sport - and Northern England just don't seem that interested in it. They prefer the posh, public schoolboy version of rugby.

~ Leeds professional ~

Come to think of it, This Sporting Life showed it as professional. For some reason, I seem to recall it being semi-pro but I guess I'm wrong. One thing's for sure, I can assure everyone that those guys played their hearts out in every match.

~ NRL most viewed and attended ~

I thought SARU was # 1 for rugby and ARL for Aussie footy.

Union is also popular in Chile and Argentina. 7s very popular in Pacific Islands. Gaelic is popular in Ireland, of course, and in NYC but more so in Boston.

Each code has its merits though I confess to not being a fan of ARL - was at one time but no longer like it as its rather repetitive and doesn't appear to need much strategy, just brutal contact.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Canadian head coach Kieran Crowley was happy with the result, but not the performance.

Despite watching his team soundly defeat the United States 27-9 in the first leg of its Rugby World Cup qualifier last weekend to put Canada on the brink of earning a spot for England 2015, Crowley is looking for more.

An 18-point advantage in the two-match total-points series heading into Saturday's game at BMO Field puts Canada in good position, but Crowley wants a better showing than what he saw in Charleston, S.C.

"Very pleased with the result," Crowley said. "A little disappointed with what went on inside the game as far as our performance went, so we certainly had a lot to look at this week and a lot to work on."
Canada will make just two roster changes for Saturday's game, both through injury.

"The team that took the field last week got the job done," Crowley said at Thursday's press conference. "But they know they have a job to do for Canada on Saturday."

One of the two forced changes will see veteran lock Jamie Cudmore miss out with a hand injury.
The 34-year-old from Squamish, B.C., is hoping his teammates can provide him a chance to participate at his fourth World Cup.
"It's really the pinnacle for any Canadian athlete to get into a World Cup situation," said Cudmore, who will be replaced in the lineup by Tyler Hotson. "The honour of pulling on a Canadian jersey, especially on the world stage, is pretty much incomparable.

"I'll be very proud until the end of my days to say I represented Canada."
The winner of the Canada-U.S. series will join 12 countries that have already qualified automatically for the 20-team 2015 Rugby World Cup, slotting in Pool D alongside France, Ireland, Italy and another European qualifier.

All is not lost for the loser of the series, which moves on to play Uruguay in another round of qualifying.
Canada, ranked three spots ahead of the U.S. in 15th by the International Rugby Board, got off to a quick start in last Saturday's game with a try in the opening minute.
But the team stumbled a bit in its execution and Crowley is hoping the home fans can push Canada to an even better showing.

"It's in front of our own crowd and supporters that don't get to see a lot of rugby here in Canada," he said. "To be able to be playing in front of them is great."
The Americans, meanwhile, face the daunting task of travelling north with a big deficit following a disappointing performance.

U.S. coach Mike Tolkin said any player or coach that has made it to this level of rugby has experienced similar circumstances at one time or another.

"I think the most important thing to do is to focus on small battles," he said. "If you come into this game saying 'We need a 20-point win or we're all going to go down the tubes' ... totally wrong approach.
"It's winning the small battles and getting things going right ... If you try to do everything, you do nothing."

Canada and the U.S. met at the same stage of World Cup qualifying four years ago. The Americans scored a 12-6 victory in the opening leg in South Carolina, only to lose 41-18 in the second match in Edmonton.
The U.S. went on to beat Uruguay 27-22 and 27-6 to also make the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand.
Tolkin said sticking to the gameplan will be critical to the Americans on Saturday.

"You're not going to go week-to-week and turn the whole ship upside down," he said. "When we take the field we have to execute the plan. It's one thing to have it and to practise it, but we have to execute it on the field."

Read more: Rugby World Cup: Canada nears berth, looks for a better performance | CTV News

The game will be on TSN2 Saturday 1pm PT 4pm ET.

ps - I had an Aussie friend who was big on rugby. He couldn't stand Aussie Rules Football.

Note: last week Canada moved to 14th in the world rankings.