Toronto Won The Grey Cup 100 in 2012 Anybody Care?


Liberalman
#1
Toronto Won The Grey Cup 100 in 2012 Anybody Care?

Most Torontonians will wake up and find out that they have a champion CFL football team that won the 100th year of the Grey Cup.

The only reason I say this is because of the lack of car horns in my area.

I will have to wait till later today to feel part of it.

At least Toronto Argos sent the Calgary Stampeders off to the glue factory

Go Argos Go
 
Locutus
#2
No..
 
Nuggler
#3
My love of football has joined my testosterone level.
 
55Mercury
+1
#4
My mother hated the hype of football festivities. She said it was just an excuse for a bunch of neanderthals to get drunk - great Canadian culture.
 
Cannuck
-1
#5
I follow the CFL. Happy the Argos won. More of an NFL fan.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
#6
I generally follow NFL but Skydome was full (sold out) and they said they could have sold it out twice once Argos were in it.

I heard no car horns in my area either but watched the game. I know a lot of people at work who are not normally football fans were going to be watching too.

It wasn't a Jays World Series win or a Leafs Stanley Cup win (not that I would know what that is) but I think it was a success.
 
Cannuck
-1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by idratherbeskiingView Post

.....leafs stanley cup win.....

bwahahahahah! Great oxymoron
 
Cliffy
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

My mother hated the hype of football festivities. She said it was just an excuse for a bunch of neanderthals to get drunk - great Canadian culture.

I lost all interest in football back in the early 70s when I still lived in Montreal. The morning after the Grey Cup, downtown streets were covered in barf.
"Yup, musta had a great time. I don't remember a thing."
 
Cannuck
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by CliffyView Post

I lost all interest in football back in the early 70s when I still lived in Montreal. The morning after the Grey Cup, downtown streets were covered in barf.
"Yup, musta had a great time. I don't remember a thing."

Why didn't you just lose interest in drinking?
 
prairieboy
#10
I was happy. True albertan all the way. I like Ricky Ray, and his running backs. It was a solid team that gelled together as a team at the right time. Congrats Argos. As for the half time show. It was the first time I had listended to Beibers songs. I listened. Maybe not much of a singer but he sure has the moves. He might have made a better tailback then some of calgary's efforts. Just probably the wrong market for his songs. It was and eye opener. Kind of reminds me more of a micheal jackson with the dance moves.
 
gopher
+3
#11  Top Rated Post
Grey Cup # 100 - watched the entire match. Thought it was a goody.
 
bill barilko
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Grey Cup # 100 - watched the entire match. Thought it was a goody.

A thoroughly underwhelming game-I could tell from the opening kickoff that TO wanted it more and with the exception of a few plays Calgary was never in the game/played like sleepwalkers.
 
gopher
+1
#13
In truth, I think there is too much of a tendency for people to expect the same type of intensity and action in the CFL as you see in the NFL. Sorry to say, this will never happen. I like the CFL. But it is not in the same class as NFL and the games will never be the equal of the USA league.

In yesterday's match there were repeated references to Qadri Ismail and others who were NFL rejects. The few players who succeeded in both leagues were often players who honed their skills in the CFL and used it as a stepping stone to the NFL (Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, come to mind). Thus, the game was about as good as it gets in that league. No offense to any of its fans. But you just cannot expect the same type of action there as in NFL.
 
talloola
#14
the game was dissapointing, as calgary didn't show up, in hindsight I was wishing lions had won their game last week as they would have given torontoa much better game, might have won, at
least it would have been a battle.
 
Kreskin
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

In truth, I think there is too much of a tendency for people to expect the same type of intensity and action in the CFL as you see in the NFL. Sorry to say, this will never happen. I like the CFL. But it is not in the same class as NFL and the games will never be the equal of the USA league.

In yesterday's match there were repeated references to Qadri Ismail and others who were NFL rejects. The few players who succeeded in both leagues were often players who honed their skills in the CFL and used it as a stepping stone to the NFL (Warren Moon, Joe Theisman, come to mind). Thus, the game was about as good as it gets in that league. No offense to any of its fans. But you just cannot expect the same type of action there as in NFL.

Talent wise very true. I have been a fan of both leagues since I was a tyke and in my opinion the CFL game (rules) are better. The NFL has a little too much time just watching the clock tick to nothing. In the CFL you can have 3 touchdowns in the last 2 minutes, while in the NFL the 2 minute warning seems to be a reminder for everyone to put down a knee and call it a game.

The Grey Cup has more history. A lot more. The Argos and TiCats are the oldest professional sports teams in North America. The Argos were a rowing club that joined the Canadian Rugby Union in the 1800's. It was then that the CRU modifed the rules to allow for a forward pass. That was the birth of North American football as we know it. The single point end-zone scoring is part of the original CRU rules.

Regarding Ismail, they were referring to Raghib "Rocket" Ismail from Notre Dame. He was expected to be the overall first pick in the NFL but he signed with the Argos before the draft.
 
gopher
+1
#16
Yes, you're right about Ismail. But it is true, the CFL simply does not rate with the NFL. I'd like to see changes in the latter league's rules but, overall, it plays a better brand of football.

The Cubs are a bit older than the Argos but were known as the White Stockings before being called the Cubs.
 
Kreskin
+1
#17
It shouldn't rate, it is an entirely different game. What I like about the CFL is the unpredictability. The NFL is very coached. A little too much imo. Watch Peyton Manning call 2 audbibles, point to 6 opponents and still step back for a second huddle with running backs, all before the snap. There isn't much spontaneity. Don't get me wrong, it's the premier league of it's kind. No question about that. But the CFL is more based on traditional/historical forward-pass rules which I prefer to watch.
 
petros
+3
#18
You haven't been to a CFL game until you been to a Rider game.
 
talloola
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Yes, you're right about Ismail. But it is true, the CFL simply does not rate with the NFL. I'd like to see changes in the latter league's rules but, overall, it plays a better brand of football.

The Cubs are a bit older than the Argos but were known as the White Stockings before being called the Cubs.

we are all aware here in canada that the cfl isn't (talent wise) at the same level as the nfl, do you
really think we thought it is?
it is rather arrogant to tell us that there is a difference, seems you also think that canadians are
rather stupid and can't figure that out for themselves.

the ahl isn't at the same level as the nhl, are you aware of that? everyone else is. (by the way, that
is hockey).

second and third tier baseball isn't at the same level as the major leagues, do you know that?

same sort of comments as your first one, arrogant.
 
Mowich
+2
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Toronto Won The Grey Cup 100 in 2012 Anybody Care?

Most Torontonians will wake up and find out that they have a champion CFL football team that won the 100th year of the Grey Cup.

The only reason I say this is because of the lack of car horns in my area.

I will have to wait till later today to feel part of it.

At least Toronto Argos sent the Calgary Stampeders off to the glue factory

Go Argos Go

Not having a team in the Cup, Lib, I cheered for the Argos and am really happy they won. I think it is good for the CFL and hopefully will spark more support at home. The Argos played a good solid game and the Stamps just couldn't get it together.

Rock on Argos.


Quote: Originally Posted by bill barilkoView Post

A thoroughly underwhelming game-I could tell from the opening kickoff that TO wanted it more and with the exception of a few plays Calgary was never in the game/played like sleepwalkers.

It lacked excitement for sure, Bill. Poor old Kev just couldn't get rid of his jitters...........jumping around in the pocket until he was yanked by Huf and Bo Levi was put in. I felt that the Argos backed off a bit and let the Stamps have that late TD..........good sportsmanship in my mind and they had the game well in hand.

I just picked up my sheet of 100th Anniversary Grey Cup stamps yesterday and am planning on framing them along with the loonie I picked up earlier.


Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

the game was dissapointing, as calgary didn't show up, in hindsight I was wishing lions had won their game last week as they would have given torontoa much better game, might have won, at
least it would have been a battle.

By the end of the half, I was thinking the same thing, talloola.

Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

In truth, I think there is too much of a tendency for people to expect the same type of intensity and action in the CFL as you see in the NFL. Sorry to say, this will never happen. I like the CFL. But it is not in the same class as NFL and the games will never be the equal of the USA league.

There is more than enough intensity in CFL games, gopher. I believe it was something like +50% of the games this year were decided in the final seconds............hard to get more intense than that.

This comment, taken from the TSN website, pretty well says it all for me.

"manh - CFL: Dramatic, Fast, Affordable, Action-packed. Large field, Three downs, Pre-snap motion, Twenty second play clock, Multiple scores possible in the final 3 minutes, Kick returns, Players are fit, agile, have multi-dimensional skills, and play to the whistle. Compared to the American game, Canadian football - snap to whistle- has about 50% more time spent in actual play (18 minutes to 12 minutes ). Gotta love this game!"

The 100 best answers to 'Why I love the CFL' (external - login to view)
 
Spade
#21
I definitely preferred an Argos' win to that of a Calgary Centre's loss.
 
coldstream
+1
#22
I spent a little time switching between the Green Bay/ NY Giants, a major NFL matchup game and Calgary/ Toronto.. but finally left it on the latter.. even a lacklustre Grey Cup game, which is a rarity.. had it over the premier matchup in the NFL last weekend.

I've had conversations with Americans, who can't understand why we don't go to 4 downs... "isn't it pass, pass, kick the whole game" they ask.... i respond that it doesn't work out that way.. it's a much more complex, spontaneous and free form game than the American version.

But they don't get it... hope we don't ever change.. it'd just make us a NFL minor league.

Congrats to the Toronto Argonauts.. although i've moved away.. i still think they have the best name, colours (dbl blue, navy for Oxford, powder for Cambridge) and logo (galleon.. pull together) in North American Sports.

If they moved out of that damned Rogers Centre.. into an outdoor, natural turf venue downtown.. like Montreal did, back to its roots in Molson Stadium.. that'd cinch their future in T.O... i think.
Last edited by coldstream; Nov 28th, 2012 at 02:04 PM..
 
Cannuck
-1
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by coldstreamView Post

i still think they have the best name, colours (dbl blue, navy for Oxford, light for Cambridge) and logo (galleon.. pull together) in North American Sports.

That would be the Chicago Black Hawks
 
Kreskin
+1
#24
The NFL has no kicking game. Most kick offs are through the end zone this no return attempts. The fair catch is another non play. That league needs more football.
 
gopher
+2
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by talloolaView Post

we are all aware here in canada that the cfl isn't (talent wise) at the same level as the nfl, do you
really think we thought it is?
it is rather arrogant to tell us that there is a difference, seems you also think that canadians are
rather stupid and can't figure that out for themselves.

the ahl isn't at the same level as the nhl, are you aware of that? everyone else is. (by the way, that
is hockey).

second and third tier baseball isn't at the same level as the major leagues, do you know that?

same sort of comments as your first one, arrogant.


Arrogant? Don't get so excited for goodness sake. Did you see the replies to the OP question?

"No"

"My love of football has gone downward"

"bunch of neanderthals"

"lost all interest in football"

"thoroughly underwhelming game"




By contrast, I said the game was a "goody'' and "I like the CFL". I, at least, showed interest in the game and continue to show interest in the league. If my comments are arrogant and warrant your attacks where are your criticisms for the words others posted above?
 
Kreskin
+1
#26

1994 Western Division Final Last Drive - YouTube



This was the best football game of all time. I remember temperatures reaching minus 22C, and at one time Flutie called a timeout, or took a delay, just to warm his hands up. A conference final doesn't get any better than this game.
 
gopher
+1
#27
^ great match!
 
bill barilko
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

^ great match!

Yes I remember it well-a game for the ages!
 
talloola
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Arrogant? Don't get so excited for goodness sake. Did you see the replies to the OP question?

"No"

"My love of football has gone downward"

"bunch of neanderthals"

"lost all interest in football"

"thoroughly underwhelming game"




By contrast, I said the game was a "goody'' and "I like the CFL". I, at least, showed interest in the game and continue to show interest in the league. If my comments are arrogant and warrant your attacks where are your criticisms for the words others posted above?

the fact that you don't seem to realize that canadians understand their game fully, and 'also' know the NFL,
and have always realized that the cfl and the nfl are not the same, talent wise, is just amazing to me, then
you have to break that sad news to us,as though we are dumb schmucks walking around here in our snow shoes
all year round, with the wrong idea of our football league.
 
JLM
#30
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

Toronto Won The Grey Cup 100 in 2012 Anybody Care?

Most Torontonians will wake up and find out that they have a champion CFL football team that won the 100th year of the Grey Cup.

The only reason I say this is because of the lack of car horns in my area.

I will have to wait till later today to feel part of it.

At least Toronto Argos sent the Calgary Stampeders off to the glue factory

Go Argos Go

Just another game, nothing more nothing less!
 

Similar Threads

5
Grey Gardens
by Said1 | Apr 27th, 2009
3
94th Grey Cup
by Kreskin | Nov 17th, 2006
no new posts