England "foul with patriotism", says Morrissey

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Any press is good press. :lol:

Singer Morrissey has attacked the “blustering jingoism” of the London 2012 Olympics, asking: “Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?”

The singer claimed the Royal Family have “hijacked” the Games and said “the spirit of 1939 Germany now pervades throughout media-brand Britain”.

In a message to fans on his website, the former Smiths frontman wrote: “I am unable to watch the Olympics due to the blustering jingoism that drenches the event. Has England ever been quite so foul with patriotism?

“The ‘dazzling royals’ have, quite naturally, hi-jacked the Olympics for their own empirical needs, and no oppositional voice is allowed in the free press. It is lethal to witness.

“As London is suddenly promoted as a super-wealth brand, the England outside London shivers beneath cutbacks, tight circumstances and economic disasters. Meanwhile the British media present 24-hour coverage of the ‘dazzling royals’, laughing as they lavishly spend, as if such coverage is certain to make British society feel fully whole.

“In 2012, the British public is evidently assumed to be undersized pigmies, scarcely able to formulate thought.”

more feel-good stuff:

London 2012: Olympics have made England "foul with patriotism", says Morrissey - Telegraph

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some are elated by the Olympics. The reason I no longer support the event is because
it is about show and not substance. forty million for the opening for Pete's sake. Its
time we brought this event back to being relevant. It should showcase the area that is
hosting. That means you wouldn't need to spend ten million to advertise or be a sponsor.
Local industries could showcase their wares and McDonald's and others could advertise
but they wouldn't have an exclusive.
The games must live within its means plain and simple. it should be about the sporting
events not the products being sold as a side show. The other problem is venues. yes
they have to be adequate but they don't have to be palaces that won't be used in the
future as happens in many cases.
Its time this thing is reorganized and put into a model of some austerity.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can't say that this Olympics is any different from any other. Simple-minded patriotism seems to be an automatic response for any country that hosts the games. And after all, it was the British who invented the word "jingoism."

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I like the Brits getting their Brit on.

"And if a double decker bus... crashes into us... to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die..."- Morrisey

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Nothing wrong with patriotism. It's when it gets into nationalistic or jingoistic territory that it becomes a problem.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Good for Morrissey to point out the obvious.

People crying with pride over a dude running 100m is pretty hilarious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I cant stand this guy or his band.
He was pretty big in his day, you had to be there.

and we should care what some pop singer has to say about it?
He's not a pop singer. He's a has been.

Good for Morrissey to point out the obvious.

People crying with pride over a dude running 100m is pretty hilarious.
Ya ya, we all know you're just way to cool to care about anything the NDP doesn't tell you to care about... :roll:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Funny, I always thought people that spent wads of money were good for the economy and this guy's sniveling because the royals are?
I see nothing wrong with boosting your country's image either.
But who cares about what some singing egoist thinks anyway?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Morrissey is one of those left wingers in Britain who don't want the British to have a bit of fun and happiness and enjoyment, even if that fun and happiness and enjoyment means escaping the economic misery and the news from Syria for 16 days

They want us all to be like them and continuously wallow in complete misery and doom and gloom.

Thankfully I'm not going to be like that and I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Paralympic Games in 16 days' time, when the Paralympics return to the nation of their birth.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yeah that is Morrisey. Good singer but miserable it seems. This is where you say "Shut up and sing".

Good job on the Olympics BTW

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The Brits chose to "do their own thing" for the Olympics, and more power to them for doing so.

Damgrumpy wants to go to a cut rate show, that few would bother to watch, and Morrison wants the Olympics to not be a showcase for the country sponsoring it. Lots of luck there guys, because it costs many millions to create the places where the events occur (not all are in a stadium), it costs a lot to keep the roads clear of traffice for various races, etc., etc., etc.

They charge a lot, to cover as much of the costs as possible.

If you don't like the system, then don't watch. It's really that simple.