2012 Summer Olympics

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
As the 30th Olympiad is about to begin in London, England and over 10, 000 athletes set to compete in the games, I would like to extend my best wishes for a wonderful 2012 Olympic games. Good luck to all the athletes............but remember though corny it may be, as the commercial states.........it is not the color you go home with that counts......it is the color you came with.

GO CANADA GO! :canada:

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
The opening ceremony is boring me to tears. The Mr. Bean episode was humourous, though.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Ah yes. All the wonderful sporting events most of us find too boring to watch between Olympics. I watched most of the opening ceremonies while reading a book and found them interesting enough, but I doubt I'll watch much else.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Ah yes. All the wonderful sporting events most of us find too boring to watch between Olympics. I watched most of the opening ceremonies while reading a book and found them interesting enough, but I doubt I'll watch much else.

This sounds almost like what I said to my wife at supper tonight. I asked her "Does it make me a curmudgeon or less hypocritical that I don't really care about the Olympics? I don't feel anymore inclined to watch the events anymore than I do in between Games..." Its not like I don't want Canada to do well, but I really don't care about most of the events, one way or another; it would be cool for some of our kids to win golds but it won't break my heart if they don't either.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I love both winter and summer olympics, and most other sporting events as well, and I will thoroughly

enjoy these games, just as I do other sporting events as well.

GO CANADA GO - we're behind you 100%

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I love both winter and summer olympics, and most other sporting events as well, and I will thoroughly

enjoy these games, just as I do other sporting events as well.

GO CANADA GO - we're behind you 100%

Watched all of the opening ceremonies and enjoyed most of it...............really like their Olympic Torch Cauldron.........way cool! Always enjoy watching the Parade of the Athletes...........all those joyful, hopeful faces ....................our Canadians looked great. All in all, I think the Brits can be proud of themselves for a pretty spectacular show.

I do wish they would quit dragging Ali out for things such as this.............the poor man didn't seem to have clue where he was or what was happening. Oh and Liz could have smiled a bit more. :smile:

Go Canada :canada:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Watched all of the opening ceremonies and enjoyed most of it...............really like their Olympic Torch Cauldron.........way cool! Always enjoy watching the Parade of the Athletes...........all those joyful, hopeful faces ....................our Canadians looked great. All in all, I think the Brits can be proud of themselves for a pretty spectacular show.

I do wish they would quit dragging Ali out for things such as this.............the poor man didn't seem to have clue where he was or what was happening. Oh and Liz could have smiled a bit more. :smile:

Go Canada :canada:

yeah, I agree about Ali and Liz, her declaring the games open seemed to be painful for her to say,
almost seems like she is sorry its opening. lol

Yeah, even kobi bryant (sp?), looked like an excited little kid, instead of the cool dude he would like
to be.
Our canadians always look good.

Go Canada

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I cannot be bothered watching this spectacle. It is big money bragging and making
more big money without giving a damn about anyone not connected.
The summer games are worse than the winter games as the most boring events
are in the summer. Soccer being the most boring. The field is too big and the guy
in stripes running around with yellow and red cards because someone was tripped.
Give me a break they need some hard hitting and more intense physical contact.
I won't take time to watch this I'm afraid and we spend money on the participants.
The cost for the opening is 45 million alone way over priced and full of nonsense.

beaker

Electoral Member
Jun 11, 2012
thepeacecountry
I cannot be bothered watching this spectacle. It is big money bragging and making
more big money without giving a damn about anyone not connected.
The summer games are worse than the winter games as the most boring events
are in the summer. Soccer being the most boring. The field is too big and the guy
in stripes running around with yellow and red cards because someone was tripped.
Give me a break they need some hard hitting and more intense physical contact.
I won't take time to watch this I'm afraid and we spend money on the participants.
The cost for the opening is 45 million alone way over priced and full of nonsense.

Overpriced and over moneyed for sure. but... I have a lot of admiration for the athletes that can get themselves to that level, and I wish them bon chance.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
when the numbers are tallied to know how many watched and enjoyed the olympics, it will be

mind boggling, so it seems to be a great success, and of course with every games, there are

always those who grumble and groan, probably those who really don't 'get' sports anyway.

The cost of all olympics is extreme, has been for generations, but on it goes, and the cost

is one that contributes to good things, as the effort and time given by all athletes to better

themselves throughout the years shows that the human race is still willing to push on to greater

heights, and for a change we are talking about the price of success and not the price of war and death.

GO CANADA GO

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
our canadian men's volley ball team, (two man team) won their match against GBR this morning, one of the
players is from comox, so I had an extra bit of interest, good for them.

GO CANADA GO

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
our canadian men's volley ball team, (two man team) won their match against GBR this morning, one of the
players is from comox, so I had an extra bit of interest, good for them.

GO CANADA GO

I watched the match too, talloola........nice win for our guys. Now watching the US and Columbia soccer.. or as they call it 'football' game. The U.S. is ahead by 1 point right now. Mary Spencer - our Canadian boxing champ - got a bye and needs only one win to make it to the medal round............Go Mary!

Reviews seem to be mixed about the opening ceremonies but this bit from the NY Times got my attention.

"But bad taste is also a part of the British heritage. The imagery mixed the glory of a royal Jubilee with the grottiness of a Manchester pub-crawl. Britain offered a display of humor and humbleness that can only stem from a deep-rooted sense of superiority. "

........and this

"NBC didn’t share the British art of playfulness. Even though the ceremony was shown with a time delay (no live streams allowed), the network prefaced the opening ceremony with its own opening, a solemn and pompous video celebration of the Olympics, narrated by the actors Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt. Ryan Seacrest came next, interviewing two members of the American gymnastics team. Later, Seacrest returned to ask the swimmer Michael Phelps whether he could emerge from these games as the greatest Olympian of all time. Phelps shook Seacrest off like a leg cramp."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/s...?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20120728

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Mr. Bean was funny..

I liked the James Bond bit with the Queen and her Corgis as well... and the hearing impaired kids singing 'God Save the Queen' were adorable.. didn't miss a note.

In fact the whole show was first class.. and very.. uh.. British.. :)

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Mr. Bean was funny..

I liked the James Bond bit with the Queen and her Corgis as well... and the hearing impaired kids doing 'God Save the Queen' were adorable.. didn't miss a note.

In fact the whole show was first class.. and very.. uh.. British.. :)

Pretty cool of Liz to participate in that skit.....jumping out of the chopper was the best part!.......yeah I know it was a stand-in but the thought sure was funny. Nice to see JK Rowlings participate as she is rarely seen in public.

Rick Hansen did a piece on TSN's Difference Makers about how we - Canadian fans - made such a difference at the 2010 Olympics and how we can do the same for our summer Olympians...........so let's cheer long and loud for our guys and gals.

GO, CANADA, GO! :canada:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
americans just don't know how to appreciate or understand english humour, 'their' loss, I love it. lol

I wonder if 'fawlty' is anywhere to be seen.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Some of the funniest coverage of the games is being provided by TSN's [FONT=&quot]Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole. Currently they are gathering Canadian fans off the sidewalks and having them sing God Save the Queen to end their segment. Earnest and heartfelt though the singers may be, I don't think one of them can carry a tune..........absolutely hilarious.

Canadian divers, Abel and Heymans won Bronze in their event today ..........our first medal of the games. Congratulations to both women.

Apparently, we (Canada) are usually late to enter the medal count at summer games so hopefully this is the start of many more.

Go, Canada, Go :canada:
[/FONT]

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
I watch the diving duals and noted that Abel's timing and landing were off. That was good for the USA duo of Bryant-Johnston who got Silver. A very good competition, indeed.