2012 Preakness Stakes

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Has anyone been following the 1st and 2nd legs of the Triple Crown? The jockey on 'I'll Have Another' is a jockey at Hastings Park in Vancouver. He won the Derby. Check out the dramatic Preakness.

2012 Preakness Stakes - YouTube

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Interesting that he comes from behind and although only winning by a neck he is going away. The Jockey's timing is cutting it close but i believe there is more to it than appears.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I watched both races, was glued to the TV, very exciting. He ran two very intelligent races, thought

he wasn't going to do it yesterday, he did cut it very close, but got the job done.

A great local story. He came to hastings park last week to visit and see all of his friends.

There was a huge crowd at hastings park yesterday to watch the race on the big screen.

I'll be watching closely in 3 weeks to see how he does in the belmont, which is a longer race,

so strategy will be a bit different.

Renmember secretariat winning the belmont? it was 31 lengths.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think it was 33 lengths. Right off the charts.

This horse has a lot legs at the end, so Belmont might be good for him. He runs a bit wild though.. his body and head are all over the place. Half way through the race he was looking around at the other horses like it was all just a bit of fun. All the extra energy expent might take its toll in a longer race. Whereas Bodemeister looks like a piston, with each stride a replica of the last - from start to finish.

I didn't know it until today but the horse is owned by someone in Ontario. They bought him for 35k.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think it was 33 lengths. Right off the charts.

This horse has a lot legs at the end, so Belmont might be good for him. He runs a bit wild though.. his body and head are all over the place. Half way through the race he was looking around at the other horses like it was all just a bit of fun. All the extra energy expent might take its toll in a longer race. Whereas Bodemeister looks like a piston, with each stride a replica of the last - from start to finish.

I didn't know it until today but the horse is owned by someone in Ontario. They bought him for 35k.

31 lengths, led from start to finish, 2:24 flat, world record for a mile and a half at that time.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
'I'll have Another' has been scratched from the Belmont, leg problem, we'll never know

if he would have 'done' it. Very sad, but horses health is first and foremost, can't

take chances, and it seems this injury could affect his future in racing period.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
What a darn shame that I'll Take Another had to retire - beautiful creature with such great speed & stamina.

I've been to Belmont Park more times than to Yankee Stadium, Shea, and the Polo Grounds combined. Horse racing is and has been NYC's # 1 sport for over 100 years and there had been much excitement over the Triple Crown. Now, much of the fun has been taken away. Well, maybe ITA will succeed in the stud circuit. Should be a lot of fun for the guy! :)

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I remember that the official timer malfunctioned, and his time was recorded from a manual timer, thus

he wasn't allowed to have the record 'officially', which seemed ludicrous at the time, so I am happy

to see this adjustment. It should have been official at the time from the manual timer, but they

wouldn't do that.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I remember that the official timer malfunctioned, and his time was recorded from a manual timer, thus

he wasn't allowed to have the record 'officially', which seemed ludicrous at the time, so I am happy

to see this adjustment. It should have been official at the time from the manual timer, but they

wouldn't do that.
It is odd that it took this long. They actually settled a little faster than even those manual timers, with a flat 1:53. I heard an interesting interview with Ron Turcotte. He said Secretariat was a left-handed horse. He lead his gallop with the left leg and thus loved to run fast on the turns because it was so natural. He also said he wanted to slow him down in this race but Secretariat was much bigger than him so he lost the argument.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It is odd that it took this long. They actually settled a little faster than even those manual timers, with a flat 1:53. I heard an interesting interview with Ron Turcotte. He said Secretariat was a left-handed horse. He lead his gallop with the left leg and thus loved to run fast on the turns because it was so natural. He also said he wanted to slow him down in this race but Secretariat was much bigger than him so he lost the argument.

yes, he was a big beautifully built horse, who just loved to compete, loved to run, had a strong
disposition, not much bothered him at all, he had it all.

Wonder how he would have done in ireland and such, where they run the opposite direction. I'm sure he
would have been just as successful, as he would have run right footed on those tracks from a yearling,
and it would have come natural too. we'll never know, but the memories of him are wonderful, and to
make it more enjoyable, my two middle daughters were so into it at that time, they had all the stats
for him written down, pictures, and stories about him. I just informed my daughter of the time being
made official, and she was very happy to know that bit of news.

they were about 9 and 11 at the time, the perfect age for little girls to fall in love with horses,
and we did get them a horse each, and they got up early each day, went to the barn where their horses
were, fed them, let them out, and back there again after school to clean stalls, ride, and have the
time of their lives, (me too).

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
That's a cool story about your daughters. It's great that you allowed them to have their own horses. No doubt the time of their lives.

The official timing of this race validates the greatness of the run. Even though The Kentucky Derby was a record (and one where he ran faster in each successive quarter mile), and the Belmont was off the charts, the Preakness was a favorite of mine. One would think that after rushing up to first as it did that the stretch would be difficult but it just kept powering ahead the entire race (and completely hand ridden). Quite impressive.

I was watching a bit on Northern Dancer tonight. That was the Canadian horse who held the Kentucky Derby record until Secretariat. I believe 2:00 flat vs 1:59 and 2/5. They say Northern Dancer was a prolific sire. Decendents including Storm Cat and Big Brown. There are more Northern Dancer bred Breeders Cup winners than any other horse.