Ryan-Nugent Hopkins – Burnaby, BC – Edmonton Oilers
Ryan O’Reilly – Clinton, ON – Colorado Avalanche
Corey Perry – Peterborough, ON – Anaheim Ducks
Teddy Purcell – St. John’s, NL – Tampa Bay Lightning
Patrick Sharp – Winnipeg, MB – Chicago Blackhawks
Jeff Skinner – Toronto, ON – Carolina Hurricanes
John Tavares – Mississauga, ON – New York Islanders

Head Coach – Brent Sutter
Associate Coaches – Kirk Muller (Carolina Hurricanes), Guy Boucher (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Executive Director – Steve Yzerman (Tampa Bay Lightning)
Management Group – Doug Armstrong (St. Louis Blues), Peter Chiarelli (Boston Bruins), Ken Holland (Detroit Red Wings), Kevin Lowe (Edmonton Oilers), Bob Nicholson (Hockey Canada), Dave Nonis (Toronto Maple Leafs), Brad Pascall (Hockey Canada).

The tournament begins May 4 in Finland and Sweden.

A positive note about the first round of the Stanley Cup play-offs is that it freed up more than a few top Canadian players who have chosen to join the team. No lack of firepower on this roster.

GO, CANADA, GO :canada:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
2012 Team Canada Roster
MS]
GO, CANADA, GO :canada:

[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

thats right, they're very well represented, good luck to them.

burrows did a nice thing by giving up his number 14 to eberle, and he will
wear 41, it was his choice, being the more senior player, way to go alex.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
if you have any links which may stream the tourny online please post it

I'll check with VIPBox and FirstRow

I'm betting it'll be fun

I'll do some checking and see what I can find out for you gopher...........I expect it will be a great tourney. Canada won their first two exhibition games and Jordan Eberle is proving his worth once again. PK Subban got hurt in the game with the Swiss but should be good to go for the series opener against Slovakia this Friday.

I emailed TSN, gopher............hope to get an answer back for you before the series start.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if you have any links which may stream the tourny online please post it

I'll check with VIPBox and FirstRow

I'm betting it'll be fun

I'll do some checking and see what I can find out for you gopher...........I expect it will be a great tourney. Canada won their first two exhibition games and Jordan Eberle is proving his worth once again. PK Subban got hurt in the game with the Swiss but should be good to go for the series opener against Slovakia this Friday.

I emailed TSN, gopher............hope to get an answer back for you before the series start.

that would be great if the team Canada games could be watched live online.:):cool:

Last edited:

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Sorry guys, but while I hope Team Canada does well, this tourney means next to nothing to me as a hockey fan, because so many top players won't be involved. The NHL Stanley Cup Playoff tournament is superior in all ways save in bolstering nationalistic fervor. When it comes to tournaments of national teams competing against each other, there is only one for sr. men: the Olympics. The only yearly tourney supported by the IIHF that is worth any effort in watching is the World Juniors.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Sorry guys, but while I hope Team Canada does well, this tourney means next to nothing to me as a hockey fan, because so many top players won't be involved. The NHL Stanley Cup Playoff tournament is superior in all ways save in bolstering nationalistic fervor. When it comes to tournaments of national teams competing against each other, there is only one for sr. men: the Olympics. The only yearly tourney supported by the IIHF that is worth any effort in watching is the World Juniors.

there was also another tournament involving Canada. I think it was called the world cup of hockey. I don't know if it still exists. I vaguely recall usa winning the gold medal against canada. there was also controversy involving brett hull playing for team usa.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
there was also another tournament involving Canada. I think it was called the world cup of hockey. I don't know if it still exists. I vaguely recall usa winning the gold medal against canada. there was also controversy involving brett hull playing for team usa.

The World Cup was the one-time reincarnation of the old Canada Cup. Again, I thought it was a more legitimate tournament in determining bragging rights because NHLers were permitted to play, and it was at a time of year where they could all play. It went the way of the dodo about the time the NHL got involved in the Olympics.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Not a problem, wulfie, I respect your opinion. I, however, will be watching and cheering for our Canadian Team and wishing for the best.

It looks like PK may be out for awhile with an apparent knee injury. Hope you heal fast, PK.

GO, CANADA, GO! :canada:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
The World Cup was the one-time reincarnation of the old Canada Cup. Again, I thought it was a more legitimate tournament in determining bragging rights because NHLers were permitted to play, and it was at a time of year where they could all play. It went the way of the dodo about the time the NHL got involved in the Olympics.

thanks for the info.:)

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

there are players in the tournament who were in the NHL playoffs, so one day they were important and worthy
of watching, and the next, they aren't? because they are now in the world hockey tournament.
doesn't make any sense to me.
it is only in the mind of the beholder. all of the players in the world hockey tournament could
compete in the NHL playoffs, so what is the difference.

yes, all hockey games are important games, it is our views that are either dim, or eager to get on board.

once on board, this tournament will be fantastic, canada should kick butt.

GO CANADA GO

PK Subban has been sent home, his injury too severe to stay on, I wonder who will replace him.

I agree with gretzky ----

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Plus, this gives us a chance to watch more hockey, so its good.

Europeans think any world championship is important, makes sense to me.

me too

north americans shouldn't pigeon hole themselves into thinking that only north american or olympic
hockey is the best, hockey is growing leaps and bounds all over europe, players are getting better
and better and becoming very competetive with the best.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
me too

north americans shouldn't pigeon hole themselves into thinking that only north american or olympic
hockey is the best, hockey is growing leaps and bounds all over europe, players are getting better

The Olympics are very big as all countries send their best players. If the NHL doesn't let NHL players compete at the Sochi Games, the IIHF says they will tell the NHL to jump in a lake. The NHL is not the only hockey league/organisation in the world that matters. That this is a bargaining chip in the upcoming NHL negotiations is a sign people here have their head up their keester. It should be automatic. But all owners see a temporary loss of revenue and no games for three weeks.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I was wondering, can eliminated nhl teams from each round of the playoffs continue to send players to team Canada, or is there a time limit?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I watched the World Juniors online on both of the two channels I mentioned above.

Then I am hoping that you can do so with the World's, gopher as I have been unable to find a live-streaming site for you that is showing the games.

Plus, this gives us a chance to watch more hockey, so its good.

:thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft:

My thoughts exactly, DT. :smile:

Even though the CFL draft is happening tomorrow, game day is a ways off and I need to practice cheering for the Riders - hockey gives me that opportunity. LOL!

there are players in the tournament who were in the NHL playoffs, so one day they were important and worthy
of watching, and the next, they aren't? because they are now in the world hockey tournament.
doesn't make any sense to me.
it is only in the mind of the beholder. all of the players in the world hockey tournament could
compete in the NHL playoffs, so what is the difference.

yes, all hockey games are important games, it is our views that are either dim, or eager to get on board.

once on board, this tournament will be fantastic, canada should kick butt.

GO CANADA GO

PK Subban has been sent home, his injury too severe to stay on, I wonder who will replace him.

I agree with gretzky ----

For me, it is an opportunity to watch our Canadian players who, during the regular season, I rarely get to see in action. There are so many teams and just not enough time to keep up with them all.

I heard that PK went back to Montreal. I sure hope that he is able to get back to the team - Good luck, PK.......I'll miss you in the interim .

First game starts
Friday on TSN. I'll post game times later today.

GO, CANADA, GO! HAVE FUN GUYS! :canada:

me too

And these games also give us an opportunity to see other non-Canadian NHL guys play for their countries. So I will also be able to watch Alfie and Zedeno play. :smile:

Great write-up on John Tavares.

"But it's team leader John Tavares, fresh off a breakout 81-point season, who potentially could shine for Canada in the tournament. After scoring seven goals in seven games at the 2010 Worlds, Tavares was a revelation last spring, leading Team Canada in scoring with nine points in seven games. But after bowing out in the quarterfinals in each of the last two years, Tavares and Canada are looking to bounce back.

"He [Tavares] is the face of the franchise and is going to have a lot of pressure to perform. I have complete confidence that he is the guy to do it," Staios said. "He can handle the pressure. He's been groomed to be in that situation and be that player. After being picked No. 1 overall, I think he embraces it. It [World Championship] is the biggest thing for the European countries, so it's a great stage to see how you compare to international players, playing on that international stage and handling that kind of pressure in a hostile environment. To me, it was a real step forward as far as my confidence and development in my career."

The World Championship experience certainly helped Tavares' development last season. After standing out in the 2011 tournament in Slovakia, he improved in every major statistical category and played in his first NHL All-Star Game in January. Now considered a leader on a Canadian team with many young players, including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evander Kane, and Jeff Skinner, the 21-year-old Tavares could bring a newfound leadership into Islanders camp in the fall.

"You get to play in pressure games and you get to play with the best players in the world that aren't playing in the playoffs. There is some amazing talent that is going over there to play in these tournaments," Staios said. "I think another thing for any team is the Olympics are coming up. There is a lot of pressure on these guys. Even if it doesn't get a lot of play or publicity, the pressure is still there to perform."

Staios believes Isles can improve through Worlds - 2012 IIHF World Championship

I was wondering, can eliminated nhl teams from each round of the playoffs continue to send players to team Canada, or is there a time limit?

Having a hard time finding an answer to your question, spam...........will keep looking. Posted the question on TSN, so will see if I get an answer back. I do know that players can be added to the team when and only when another player leaves. The roster has to remain at 25.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Then I am hoping that you can do so with the World's, gopher as I have been unable to find a live-streaming site for you that is showing the games.

:thumbleft::thumbleft::thumbleft:

My thoughts exactly, DT. :smile:

Even though the CFL draft is happening tomorrow, game day is a ways off and I need to practice cheering for the Riders - hockey gives me that opportunity. LOL!

For me, it is an opportunity to watch our Canadian players who, during the regular season, I rarely get to see in action. There are so many teams and just not enough time to keep up with them all.

I heard that PK went back to Montreal. I sure hope that he is able to get back to the team - Good luck, PK.......I'll miss you in the interim .

First game starts
Friday on TSN. I'll post game times later today.

GO, CANADA, GO! HAVE FUN GUYS! :canada:

And these games also give us an opportunity to see other non-Canadian NHL guys play for their countries. So I will also be able to watch Alfie and Zedeno play. :smile:

Great write-up on John Tavares.

"But it's team leader John Tavares, fresh off a breakout 81-point season, who potentially could shine for Canada in the tournament. After scoring seven goals in seven games at the 2010 Worlds, Tavares was a revelation last spring, leading Team Canada in scoring with nine points in seven games. But after bowing out in the quarterfinals in each of the last two years, Tavares and Canada are looking to bounce back.

"He [Tavares] is the face of the franchise and is going to have a lot of pressure to perform. I have complete confidence that he is the guy to do it," Staios said. "He can handle the pressure. He's been groomed to be in that situation and be that player. After being picked No. 1 overall, I think he embraces it. It [World Championship] is the biggest thing for the European countries, so it's a great stage to see how you compare to international players, playing on that international stage and handling that kind of pressure in a hostile environment. To me, it was a real step forward as far as my confidence and development in my career."

The World Championship experience certainly helped Tavares' development last season. After standing out in the 2011 tournament in Slovakia, he improved in every major statistical category and played in his first NHL All-Star Game in January. Now considered a leader on a Canadian team with many young players, including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Evander Kane, and Jeff Skinner, the 21-year-old Tavares could bring a newfound leadership into Islanders camp in the fall.

"You get to play in pressure games and you get to play with the best players in the world that aren't playing in the playoffs. There is some amazing talent that is going over there to play in these tournaments," Staios said. "I think another thing for any team is the Olympics are coming up. There is a lot of pressure on these guys. Even if it doesn't get a lot of play or publicity, the pressure is still there to perform."

Staios believes Isles can improve through Worlds - 2012 IIHF World Championship

Having a hard time finding an answer to your question, spam...........will keep looking. Posted the question on TSN, so will see if I get an answer back. I do know that players can be added to the team when and only when another player leaves. The roster has to remain at 25.

"You get to play in pressure games and you get to play with the best players in the know that players can be added to the team when and only when another player leaves. The roster has to remain at 25. [/FONT][/QUOTE]
__________________________________________________________________________________
I imagine once the tournament starts, the addition of players will stop.

Tavares is an elite player, like hopkins, eberle etc., who will get a chance to shine and show his stuff
in this tournament.

the day will come for the islanders to make a move, they will get another high draft pick this season to
join them and make their team a bit better.

Same with edmonton, first round pick 'again', they have been lucky in the lottery. As soon as they
build up the defense on that team, they will shine, that was their only weakness.

Maybe they will trade their first overall pick for a top defenseman, I wonder.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
CANADA BEATS SLOVAKIA IN OPENER AT WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Jamie Benn, Jordan Eberle and Andrew Ladd scored goals as Canada defeated Slovakia 3-2 on the opening day of the 2012 IIHF World Hockey Championship.

Benn scored with just under six minutes left in the first period to put Canada in front. Ryan Getzlaf drew an assist on the goal after straddling the blueline with the puck and setting up Benn with a pretty feed.

Tatar, a Detroit Red Wings prospect, scored on a hard snap shot early in the second period to even things up.

Eberle scored from a bad angle after some hard work by Evander Kane caused a turnover in the Slovakia zone, putting Canada back in front mid-way through the second period.

Ladd scored with a high shot from the slot with 4:35 remaining to make it 3-1 for Canada.

Milan Batovic scored three minutes into the third to pull Slovakia within one, just minutes after Canada's Jeff Skinner had rifled one off the crossbar, but the Slovaks would not be able to come up with another equalizer.

Alex Burrows left the game in the second period with an undisclosed injury. He was hurt after getting tangled up with two Slovakian players and falling awkwardly. He appeared to hit his head on the ice as he fell and did not return.

In other action, Kyle Okposo scored twice and Max Pacioretty had a goal and two assists as the United States beat France 7-2.

The other early game saw Germany beat Italy 3-0.

Canada's next game is on Saturday when they face the Americans. You can watch it on TSN and TSN Mobile TV, and listen live on TSN Radio 1050, beginning at 11:45am et/8:45am pt.

Canada beats Slovakia in opener at World Championship