2012 Tim Horton's Brier in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
"Canada's top men's curlers are sweeping into Saskatoon, SK for the Tim Hortons Brier airing March 3-11 on TSN. The network's exclusive live coverage of the national men's championship begins Saturday, March 3 at 2:30pm et/11:30am pt on TSN with Draw 1 matchups. In total, TSN and TSN2 have more than 60 hours of live Brier action.

The 12-team field includes 2010 world champion Kevin Koe (Team Alberta), Olympic gold medallist Brad Gushue (Team Newfoundland and Labrador), and three-time world champion Glenn Howard (Team Ontario), who is making his record-tying 14th Brier appearance. Team Manitoba is led by Rob Fowler, who defeated last year's Brier winner and world champion Jeff Stoughton in the provincials. Scott Manners leads the home-province Team Saskatchewan, while Koe's brother Jamie Koe skips for Team Northwest Territories/Yukon. Rounding out the field are Jamie Murphy (Team Nova Scotia); Terry Odishaw (Team New Brunswick); Michael Gaudet (Team Prince Edward Island); Robert Desjardins (Team Quebec); Brad Jacobs (Team Northern Ontario); and Jim Cotter (Team British Columbia)."

TSN to provide extensive coverage of Tim Hortons Brier

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How would you cheat at curling, have a broom that is 'extra warm'?

I'm waiting for the version where the whole team rides the rocks like the 'tilt-a-whirl' at the local fair. (with drinks in hand lol)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
How would you cheat at curling, have a broom that is 'extra warm'?

It never occurs to me to cheat so I was rather taken for a loss when I read this question. Given some consideration, I can't really see any way that someone could 'cheat' when curling. Heating the brushes would make it harder to control the rock which at the best of times almost seems to have a mind of its own.

Curling is an incredibly hard sport requiring not only hours of personal practice but hours of working with your team; learning how to read the ice, how to brush properly - the best brushers can make or break a throw - learning how to adapt to changing ice conditions that can happen in the midst of the end one is playing, learning what 'weight' is and how to throw what has been called for. The list goes on but once you realize the incredible skill behind some of the shots curlers make you have a better appreciation for the sport.

Sask won their first draw this afternoon much to the delight of hundreds of Saskatchewan fans in the audience.
Quebec won over the rink from Manitoba.
Ontario beat New Brunswick
And Nova Scotia out-curled YT/NWT to take their draw.

Tim Horton's Brier? I thought Tim's was smoke free.

Yes the Brier is smoke free but it was not always so, the original sponsor of the Brier was the MacDonald tobacco company and Brier (a brier being a small woody shrub used to make tobacco pipes) referred to one of their brands and I am quite sure that way back then more than a few pipes were lit and cigarettes smoked.:lol: