Arab Hotel Unveils Most Expensive Christmas Tree

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I realize that this article is more about showing off than any sort of religious connection, but I found it interesting that any sort of Christmas tree would be raised in a Muslim nation. Maybe all Muslims don't hate the West after all. It turns out that a hotel in Abu Dhabi has placed the world's most expensive Christmas tree ever in its foyer. Decorated with gems and gold valued at over $11 million, the tree will stand until the end of the year. I wonder how Osama bin Laden feels about it.

Arab hotel unveils 'most expensive Christmas tree ever'

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Asked if the tree might offend religious sensibilities in the United Arab Emirates, where the vast majority of the local population is Muslim, Olbertz said he did not think it would. "It's a very liberal country," he said.

Can't be. According to some people here, Muslims can't be liberal.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Things are improving the Muslims are commercializing Christmas, Gee I wonder who was
the first to do that.. If they could become Liberal they could commercialize Mecca, and we
could start cranking out the T Shirts now.
merchandising is good it provides jobs and new slogans. The Muslims are really good at
slogans, see there will be a place for them in our plastic world, if they would only listen.
Of course what I said is meaningless. This entire story is meaningless, this is not news it is
entertainment at best and not very good at that. It is stuff like this that passes for news that
dumbs the world down. There is one thing about the tree that is different though, if it were
here in the west it would be stripped of its decorations by now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I read daily about a former school friend of mine who is over in Dubai right now, and the sense is that they endeavour very strongly to make Christians feel welcome. A Christmas tree for those living in a dessert at a time when they would normally be in a snowy climate comes as no surprise given what I've been reading the past months. And it oppulence comes as no surprise either. Although I'd put that at the marketing side of things, not any racial/cultural factor.

Kafir

Oct 13, 2010
Manitoba
Their oil supply is running out. Now they're trying to get western tourists to visit, so the king can afford his male prostitutes.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Dubai is the new definition of excess. They have the most expensive hotel in the world, which can only be used by the most idiotic (and rich) people in the world. They think that they are better than everyone else in the world, because they had the money to employ Western architects and Western construction workers to build the world's tallest sky-scraper. They may try a few more phony stunts like that until they run out of oil.

They are so bloody phony, they are not even Muslims in a Muslim country. Otherwise, why bother with a Christmas tree?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I read daily about a former school friend of mine who is over in Dubai right now, and the sense is that they endeavour very strongly to make Christians feel welcome. A Christmas tree for those living in a dessert at a time when they would normally be in a snowy climate comes as no surprise given what I've been reading the past months. And it oppulence comes as no surprise either. Although I'd put that at the marketing side of things, not any racial/cultural factor.

That appears to be the case. Apparently Dubai also has an ice skating rink and an indoor ski slope.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Their oil supply is running out. Now they're trying to get western tourists to visit, so the king can afford his male prostitutes.

Rather go to Seychelles,
beautiful old town in Seychelles-Victoria, I can be naked on the beach and kiss a German tourist girl without being crucified / stoned (or whatever it is they fancy in Dubai), cheap beer (not allowed in Dubai), cheap soda, cheap food, et al.

Compared to Dubai,
where it's a miserable desert that's hot as hell, there are no hot girls (other than Russian hookers who charge $5,000 a hour), the Arab women wear Burqas, and the city (contemporary sky-craps) leaves nothing to the imagination.

"Different strokes for different folks", I suppose, but I rather be in the Seychelles and Madagascar, before I even think of vacationing in Dubai (in fact no one vacations to Dubai... you're forced there out of necessity of a job or PMC leave)