Vatican ethics expert Ignacio Carrasco de Paula slams Nobel Prize for IVF pioneer

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Vatican ethics expert Ignacio Carrasco de Paula slams Nobel Prize for IVF pioneer Robert Edwards | News.com.au

THE Vatican has criticised a decision to award the Nobel Prize for Medicine to IVF pioneer Robert Edwards, who has brought the joy of parenthood to millions of infertile couples.

"I find the choice of Robert Edwards completely out of order," said Ignacio Carrasco de Paula, head of the Pontifical Academy for Life, which speaks for the Vatican on medical ethics issues.

In the transcript, Bishop Carrasco de Paula also called the choice of Prof Edwards understandable and said the scientist should not be underestimated.

"Without Edwards, there would not be a market on which millions of ovocytes are sold ... and there would not be a large number of freezers filled with embryos in the world," he told the ANSA news agency.

"In the best of cases they are transferred into a uterus, but most probably they will end up abandoned or dead, which is a problem for which the new Nobel Prize winner is responsible."

The statements were heavily moderated in a transcript of his interview with ANSA, which was obtained by AFP.

The transcript also specified that he was speaking in a personal capacity.

The Vatican considers in vitro fertilisation immoral because of the wastage of a large number of embryos during the procedure.

In their first announcement of the annual prize season, the Nobel committee hailed the 85-year-old Briton's work as "a milestone in the development of modern medicine".

The original test tube baby also offered her congratulations.

"It's fantastic news. Me and mum are so glad that one of the pioneers of IVF has been given the recognition he deserves," said Louise Brown.

"We hold Bob in great affection and are delighted to send our personal congratulations to him and his family at this time."

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Not surprising, but also completely irrelevant to me. I don't care what this guy thinks of IVF, any more than I care what the head of the local Rotary Club thinks.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
does anyone care what anyone obsessed with pedophilia thinks?

As for the topic at hand...

I have a hard time condemning IVF treatments despite the destruction of embryos, when it leads to life that would not exist without it. Those embryos would not have existed anyhow. It interferes with the 'natural' plan, yes, but to create, not destroy. I wouldn't begrudge him his reward for building families and lives.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
What? The Catholic Church, that bastion of scientific, social, and political development disapproves of another medical advancement? I guess we better shut down all of our fertility clinics right away; just as soon as the church deals appropriately with its disfunctional male-dominated internal structure.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The Vatican and Ethics mentioned in the same sentence that is
very strange indeed. The Vatican has spent itself as an influential
for in the world. They have even ticked off the Catholics in Cape
Breton. That is a major event by the way. I think the churches all
of them of any denomination that engaged in sex abuse should
have their doors closed and sold to pay for their crimes. Now that
would be ethical. It is time for churches to but out of commenting
on anything to do with ethics.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
"Vatican ethics expert": isn't that an oxymoron?

But, to be fair, can we stop dragging in the pedophile issue on everything involving religious organizations, individuals and institutions (other religions were involved too)? Often, IMHO, it detracts from the opportunity for an open debate. On this issue, which is volatile in and of itself, it's pretty off-topic, no? Just IMO, YMMV....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The original test tube baby also offered her congratulations.

"It's fantastic news. Me and mum are so glad that one of the pioneers of IVF has been given the recognition he deserves," said Louise Brown.

"We hold Bob in great affection and are delighted to send our personal congratulations to him and his family at this time."

This kinda says it all. The morals of it are between the mother and the doctor, just like abortion. One is the other side of the same coin.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The thing that perplexed me was his opposition because of all the hypothetical embryos that will "Die" in the process..... yet seems to ignore the fact that without this process, there'd be a good % of the population around the world today that would not exist...... a % of God's creatures brought into this world by people who wanted to love and care for these new creations of God's image...... where if this process never existed in the first place, perhaps a number of people he himself knows and perhaps calls a friend may never have existed.

..... but since he never had any 1st hand experience in what this process actually does for the person being created and those around them to raise them and care for them..... he can easily focus on the aspect of these unknown embryos which aren't even human beings in the first place, dying/being destroyed.......

Rather then focusing on all those dead or never born..... where is this idiot's ethics towards focusing on those currently living and alive who really need the attention, protection and care?

Besides, depending on who's religion you look at, sticking a penis into a vagina to produce an offspring is dirty and a sin...... so one would think this process would please those people.

You do one thing to please a religious mind and then suddenly you're doing something else that offends their senses...... once there's one thing no longer to complain about, there'll always be something else soon enough..... eventually to the point of contradiction, which will soon enough lead to implosion of the skull.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I know a religious person who worked as an embryologist and a stemcell biologist (non-human embryo stemcells) for Bob Edwards. He has nothing but good things to say about Edwards. If he had felt anything was remotely unethical about what they were doing at Bourne Hall clinic and Cambridge University he'd have been the first to jump ship.

I'm a little biased because we have a child through IVF. I have great admiration for most of the professionals in the industry. I also like that IVF brings wanted children into the world.

Now, if Edwards can find a way to do it cheaper we'll give him another Nobel.

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
I know a religious person who worked as an embryologist and a stemcell biologist (non-human embryo stemcells) for Bob Edwards. He has nothing but good things to say about Edwards. If he had felt anything was remotely unethical about what they were doing at Bourne Hall clinic and Cambridge University he'd have been the first to jump ship.

I'm a little biased because we have a child through IVF. I have great admiration for most of the professionals in the industry. I also like that IVF brings wanted children into the world.

Now, if Edwards can find a way to do it cheaper we'll give him another Nobel.

The Vatican does have an ethical concern that we could head down the 'slippery slope ' of expendable ethics.

BTW, could we STOP having every discussion on the catholic church head back to pedophilia? It was a nasty series of episodes- but deal with it in its own topic and terms.
unless we are just being, well, kiddie voyeurs.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"Vatican ethics?" Isn't that a bit like "military intelligence" or "Congressional action" or "honest lawyer?"

Now I know I support IVF. The Catholic church has been on the wrong side of every moral issue for the last 1000 years.