Does Religious Freedoms Make A Country Better?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

Religious freedoms seem to be an important core value in some countries Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Back in the old days Religious Freedoms was a way of getting new population to young countries from the old world.

Does it really apply today in this modern world?

Is Religious Freedoms tying the hands of politicians to bring in a better way of life?

Back in the old days there was one prominent religion and most people believed and had one train of thought which means most people were on the same page.

There were also the other religions that were small in number and people got along.

Because of the much-needed immigration due to abortion laws there is more population coming from different religions, which is causing contention from the whole community.

France is outlawing burkas, which is a religious symbol.

Will other countries start to outlaw religious expressions like turbans and yamica and the crosses people were around their necks?

Will religious organizations be taxed?

Eventually there will be no Religious Freedoms and is that a step forward or a step back for those countries.

Time will tell

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Should religions have influence on how a country is governed? No.
Should the religious have the right to "bend ears" of others? No.
Should religions be allowed to exist? Sure.
Should any religion be allowed to exist? That depends on whether society's people recognizes them or not.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The freedom of religion also means the freedom FROM religion. You can believe whatever silly hogwash you like but you do not have the right to inflict those views on the rest of us. Especially Muslims and catholics that think it is their right to kill anyone that does not swallow their BS.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The freedom of religion also means the freedom FROM religion. You can believe whatever silly hogwash you like but you do not have the right to inflict those views on the rest of us. Especially Muslims and catholics that think it is their right to kill anyone that does not swallow their BS.

Not all Muslims think it is their right to kill non-Muslims so I expect you are referring to those who do. The same can be said of Roman Catholics, especially as I can't think of a case of Catholics killing anyone in the last hundred years or so.

I quite agree with the freedom from religion concept. However, it is going to take some time for those who are religious to realize that their views and standards are not always welcome.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You can believe whatever silly hogwash you like but you do not have the right to inflict those views on the rest of us.

While I don't agree with evangelizing, atheists push their point of view too. It seems to me to be pretty hard to tie the hands of one portion of the population when it comes to their beliefs, but not another. And I'm pretty certain you don't mean to silence those who want 'freedom from'.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
While I don't agree with evangelizing, atheists push their point of view too. It seems to me to be pretty hard to tie the hands of one portion of the population when it comes to their beliefs, but not another. And I'm pretty certain you don't mean to silence those who want 'freedom from'.

I have no issue with 'evangelizing', but I don't think people should be forced to believe or not believe. If people want to go door to door, fine, just don't hassle me when I say I'm not interested.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
What I can't understand or agree with is the ferocity of the part of some people on both sides (or all sides) of the religious/atheist debate. I've always thought that one's spiritual beliefs should be a personal choice, and I respect anyone's "right to choose." As long as it doesn't interfere with my right to do the same. In Canada, I've never had a problem with that.

But, I wonder what motivates people to hurl insults and denigrate another person's choice? Is it fear? Maybe. Fear of what? Could be many things...fear of being wrong, fear of perhaps having made the wrong choice, fear of the unknown, fear of...well, could be just about anything.

Or, is it the need to try and force the other person to change their thinking/beliefs? Television evangelists are perhaps the most familiar model of this, but hey, you can turn them off with a 'click' so I don't think they're interfering with anyone's spiritual beliefs.

It takes a lot of work and time and effort to come up with insults and hurl them, so I have to assume there is some reason for people to do it. So far, I can't figure out what the reason(s) is/are. But, they must be important to the 'hurler' to do so.

Reactions: Mowich

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"You can believe whatever silly hogwash you like but you do not have the right to inflict those views on the rest of us."

Therein lies the difference, taxslave. I do respect your athiest views, even though I do not agree with them. I would not sink as low as you have, by calling a differing opinion "silly hogwash".

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Religious freedoms seem to be an important core value in some countries Constitution or Bill of Rights.

Back in the old days Religious Freedoms was a way of getting new population to young countries from the old world.

Is Religious Freedoms tying the hands of politicians to bring in a better way of life?

Back in the old days there was one prominent religion and most people believed and had one train of thought which means most people were on the same page.

There were also the other religions that were small in number and people got along.

Because of the much-needed immigration due to abortion laws there is more population coming from different religions, which is causing contention from the whole community.

Will other countries start to outlaw religious expressions like turbans and yamica and the crosses people were around their necks?

Eventually there will be no Religious Freedoms and is that a step forward or a step back for those countries.

Time will tell

What exactly are you saying here, liberalman - that sometime in the future we will all be worshiping the same god? Never happen, religions of all kinds have managed quite well surviving underground. The Druid religion comes to mind. The freedom to worship in public might be restricted but people will always find a way to worship the gods or goddesses of their choice.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
"You can believe whatever silly hogwash you like but you do not have the right to inflict those views on the rest of us."

Therein lies the difference, taxslave. I do respect your athiest views, even though I do not agree with them. I would not sink as low as you have, by calling a differing opinion "silly hogwash".
Wouldn't that depend upon the opinion? Ever heard of the "flat-earthers"? Heaven's gate and Applewhite?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
What I can't understand or agree with is the ferocity of the part of some people on both sides (or all sides) of the religious/atheist debate. I've always thought that one's spiritual beliefs should be a personal choice, and I respect anyone's "right to choose." As long as it doesn't interfere with my right to do the same. In Canada, I've never had a problem with that.

But, I wonder what motivates people to hurl insults and denigrate another person's choice? Is it fear? Maybe. Fear of what? Could be many things...fear of being wrong, fear of perhaps having made the wrong choice, fear of the unknown, fear of...well, could be just about anything.

Or, is it the need to try and force the other person to change their thinking/beliefs? Television evangelists are perhaps the most familiar model of this, but hey, you can turn them off with a 'click' so I don't think they're interfering with anyone's spiritual beliefs.

It takes a lot of work and time and effort to come up with insults and hurl them, so I have to assume there is some reason for people to do it. So far, I can't figure out what the reason(s) is/are. But, they must be important to the 'hurler' to do so.

An it harm none
Do what ye will

:smile:

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario

Time will tell
"Is Religious Freedoms tying the hands of politicians to bring in a better way of life?
" No, because the bottom line is that the laws of Canada supercede religious rights, if religious beliefs go against Canadian law. Some might want to fight it but I think they'd loose. Take for example the idea that some had that Sharia law would be recognised. Well it can't - legally. If it goes against Canadian law.some proponents brought up Jewish Beth Din law, but that is only accepted by the Jewish religious community and they don't expect the Canadian legal system to accept it. Therefor, if a Jewish couple get a legal divorce, it is not accepted religiously, and if they get a civil divorce, it also may not be accepted by the Jewish community - but that is accepted. The Jewish community does not expect the Canadian legal system to abide by its laws. If a Jewish couple gets a civil divorce, then if they want to be divorced within their religious community they have to do it again. Two separate systems.
Debatable. Is it cultural or is it religious? The prophet enjoined both genders to dress modestly. The whole body covering? He never said it - it was the people who followed who advocated whole body cover. By the way, that face cover? It's called niquab. there are many muslim cultures that don't use the niquab - or a body covering. Tell me, if you want to ban that, are you also going to ban Orthodox Jewish women from wearing a Scheitel (that's a wig, to cover their hair), or maybe a Christian from wearing a cross, or a pagan from wearing a Thor's hammer? Where would one start?
My bottom line? My religious (or non-religious) freedoms end where yours start. If I pay taxes, I have as much right to see the Hannukiah at the town hall as Christians do a Manger Scene. A multi-ethnic public school should hear Christmas carols, the dreidel song and anything to do with Diwali (if it happens at that time) - why not we all pay taxes.
Religion (or Atheism) itself never made man or woman a better person. what did? The teacher. Anyone who taught their religion with 'just the religious facts' only begat hollow students. The believers who taught the essence, and not just rote? I have a feeling that their students - whether they fell away from their religion or stayed, actually ended up practicing the core values rather than the dogma of their faiths.
I was brought up a Christian - but I don't believe in the basic tenets so I'm not one, but the basic core values that I learned, I believe I do my best to live.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Freedom of speech means people can say whatever they want to you. So yes, they can tell you how good their religion is, or how crappy yours is.

Some people just can't accept that state of affairs. Apparently god is too sacred to be made fun of, even by people who don't think there is one.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Freedom of speech means people can say whatever they want to you. So yes, they can tell you how good their religion is, or how crappy yours is.

Some people just can't accept that state of affairs. Apparently god is too sacred to be made fun of, even by people who don't think there is one.
Where've you been? I can think of a few that rag on gods fairly constantly.
Personally, I think the Christian one is stupid, immature, and a sociopath.
Same for the Islamic one.
Some of the others are just cranky. Some are ok, though.