Life is but a Dream

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Buddhists believe that our waking reality is a dream and that the reality we experience while asleep is our true reality. On a metaphysical level this makes sense. On a quantum physics level it makes even more sense.
Using the atomic model, we see that there is extremely little in the way of matter in an atom. The structure is very similar to a solar system that contains vast amounts of space with very little substance. If we take an object like a rock we find it is heavy and hard. But if that rock is 99.9999% space, what makes it hard and heavy? What makes it different from our skin or tree bark?
On the quantum level, it has been discovered the protons can be observed to be in more than one place at a time. In fact, some have been observed to be in many different places at the same time, but when one is singled out for observation and measurement, the others are no longer observable. Quantum conundrum!
In the shamanic practices of aboriginal people all over the planet, quantum physics and metaphysics is used to bend the rules of so called physical reality. What they have done and do is no different than the rule bending Jesus is supposed to have done by walking on water or raising the dead.
Like Neo in the Matrix, they discovered that physical reality is a construct, a computer generated program that can be manipulated once you realize that the rules are there to enslave you. To be free means you can change the rules to suit yourself and to help your fellow dreamers.
If this is so, who is the dreamer?
The Red pill or the Blue pill?
YouTube - The Matrix - Red or Blue Pill You Decide?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol
Yeah, my Dad loves telling palefaces that there have been shamans who could walk through walls and become wolves and deer, too. I think similar stories are told throughout history and in many different places of the world.
"Hey, all you limestone molecules move over and make a hole, huh. I'm coming through". rofl

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
I tend to agree with that thought , but.....
wish theres was a quantum way to get my housework done :-|

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
You never saw "Bewitched"? I bet there are still episodes running. Same with "Beverley Hillbillies" and "Andy Griffith". lol

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
You never saw "Bewitched"? I bet there are still episodes running. Same with "Beverley Hillbillies" and "Andy Griffith". lol
ohhhh 8O
she'd have a hard time with me tho..........yup
I'd keep her so busy :cool:

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
In the book of Genesis .God puts Adam to sleep .Read the rest of the book and there isn't any reference about Adam being woken up.

( Sorry Judge , I didn't do it . I'm a sleep a Judge )

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In the book of Genesis .God puts Adam to sleep .Read the rest of the book and there isn't any reference about Adam being woken up.

( Sorry Judge , I didn't do it . I'm a sleep a Judge )

Well, perhaps that is symbolic that humanity has not really woken up from the dream. What is the meaning of the pursuit of money? What is the point of living in single family dwellings that we can't afford? How many TVs, radios, clocks and other electric gadgets do we really need? Why does our economy require us to live far beyond or means and needs in order to function?

Why is so difficult to see that it is all about programming? We have been programed to be slaves to a monetary system that benefits just a few. We are like ants gathering and hording, working day after day at jobs that are meaningless and mind numbing so that we can consume vast amounts of crap we don't need. Welcome to the Matrix.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Buddhists believe that our waking reality is a dream and that the reality we experience while asleep is our true reality.

Not to dwell on this but if you choose to change the meaning of words to suit your position you can never get to the truth of the matter.

On a metaphysical level this makes sense. On a quantum physics level it makes even more sense.

On the imagination level it doesn't have to make sense. Some people just aren't satisfied with the life they have managed to make for themselves and so it's into the realm of this imaginary supernatural dream which is purely fantasy that all the reward is said to be kept.

Using the atomic model, we see that there is extremely little in the way of matter in an atom.

I guess that depends on your scale doesn't it?

The structure is very similar to a solar system that contains vast amounts of space with very little substance.

Isn't size relative?

If we take an object like a rock we find it is heavy and hard. But if that rock is 99.9999% space, what makes it hard and heavy? What makes it different from our skin or tree bark?

Again I don't know the answer but I guess it would be something like the organization of the molecules that make up the object whether it's tree bark or skin.

On the quantum level, it has been discovered the protons can be observed to be in more than one place at a time. In fact, some have been observed to be in many different places at the same time, but when one is singled out for observation and measurement, the others are no longer observable. Quantum conundrum!

A theory if I am not mistaken, not fact.

In the shamanic practices of aboriginal people all over the planet, quantum physics and metaphysics is used to bend the rules of so called physical reality.

That's the claim I guess.

What they have done and do is no different than the rule bending Jesus is supposed to have done by walking on water or raising the dead.

So you can demonstrate this in a controlled setting? Or does this only work when someone has to take your word for it that it is so?

Like Neo in the Matrix, they discovered that physical reality is a construct, a computer generated program that can be manipulated once you realize that the rules are there to enslave you. To be free means you can change the rules to suit yourself and to help your fellow dreamers.
If this is so, who is the dreamer?

The Matrix was a movie. Keanu Reeves didn't really do any of that. You understand this, right? You can't jump off buildings and live, you can't fly and you can't do all those cool things in the movie

The Red pill or the Blue pill?

The pills were symbolic. I suggest that you are using them in reverse to what they represented in the film.

Well, perhaps that is symbolic that humanity has not really woken up from the dream.

Speak for yourself. I am awake and not dreaming. I know the difference.

What is the meaning of the pursuit of money?

It's still hunting and gathering, only the prey has changed.

What is the point of living in single family dwellings that we can't afford?

In the short term, status I suppose, but then in the long run, that works against the intended goal. A foolish choice.

How many TVs, radios, clocks and other electric gadgets do we really need?

Define need. We don't need any at all. But then again in order to communicate on such a level as we do, we need a means of communicating to the masses. Clocks help to synchronize our timing so that we can work better together. Gadgets make things convenient.

Why does our economy require us to live far beyond or means and needs in order to function?

It doesn't, that's ego in the driver seat.

Why is so difficult to see that it is all about programming? We have been programed to be slaves to a monetary system that benefits just a few. We are like ants gathering and hording, working day after day at jobs that are meaningless and mind numbing so that we can consume vast amounts of crap we don't need. Welcome to the Matrix.

Very very few could start from scratch Cliffy. Consider the mortality rate if everyone had to start alone in the wilderness with no tools at all. Make your own cutting and stabbing tools, create your own fire and shelter. There is a reason we started living in packs, groups, tribes and clans then eventually societies.

The monetary system benefits everyone in that you don't have to go out and kill and animal, fight for a cave or trek miles and miles to follow the herds. We compromise, work together and live together as a means to survival. Not the perfect system by any stretch of the imagination, but easier than the go it alone method.

I submit that the truth of the matter is not that this is happening, but who it is benefiting that you wish to change.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
God gave us some gift, and now because of equal rights we have to give it back. Golly gee whiz.
Later, the Serpent tempts the woman to eat of the forbidden fruit. She does so, and gives some to the man who also eats it. "Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked." God curses the serpent: "upon your belly you shall go, and dust you shall eat all the days of your life." He punishes the woman with pain in childbirth, and with subordination to man: "your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you."

Wake me up. :)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Matrix was written as a metaphor about our programming and is based on a number of philosophical, spiritual and religious concepts about the human experience.
The matrix and philosophy: welcome ... - Google Books

This book is available in its entirety at this urle and is written by a number of philosophers. Very interesting. There are hundreds of sites that discuss the the philosophical implications of the Matrix.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
The Matrix was written as a metaphor about our programming and is based on a number of philosophical, spiritual and religious concepts about the human experience.
The matrix and philosophy: welcome ... - Google Books

This book is available in its entirety at this urle and is written by a number of philosophers. Very interesting. There are hundreds of sites that discuss the the philosophical implications of the Matrix.

I understand that, you just seem a little over the top with all this stuff. How many threads do we have going about the aspects of basically the same thing here?

As well you didn't actually address the questions I posed to you so we don't really have any discussion going on, just statements.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Life is but a Dream

Shaboom

That is what Lewis Carroll said, I think it was Through the Looking Glass. Towards the end of the book he says “Life, what is it but a dream?”

In the novel itself, he implies that the whole thing is being dreamt up by the Red King. Through the Looking Glass is based upon a chess game. While White King is a major character, Red King is mentioned only once and he is taking a nap.

A character tells Alice that she does not really exist, she is the product of Red King’s dream, who is napping.

“If he wakes up, poof! you will disappear for ever.”

Alice feels sad about it and she starts crying.

“You won’t make yourself any realer by crying.”

Then Alice realizes the silliness the whole thing. She says

“See, I am crying, I am shedding tears. That means I am real.”

“And how do you know that these are real tears?”

So it may be that we all are part of the Red King’s dream. Any day he may wake up and we will all vanish.