What if...

blablabla

Mar 9, 2009
What if god’s big test is to see how we will cope with other religions. If god does everything for a reason then maybe he also designed different beliefs for a reason…

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What if god’s big test is to see how we will cope with other religions. If god does everything for a reason then maybe he also designed different beliefs for a reason…

I don't suppose you would consider that perhaps there are so many religions because there are people from different geographical regions from different historical time frames and they invented their version of religion to suit their culture. Perhaps god had nothing to do with it and it was all man made.

There is no logic in gods who demand worship and rule by fear of retribution. It is all about controlling the masses and the power elite. God may be real, but why would it care what you think or believe. If you think god loves you because of what dogma you subscribe to, then you are on an ego trip.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
What if 'god' is really a robot space soldier, sent out into the universe to check
around on all the populations of different planets, and he is controlled by a group
of scientists on another planet, who are eons ahead of us in technology, and they
can control our every move, and keep tabs on us, and have done things in history
to fool us, (easily done), and force us to think they have magical powers, and we
should obey them, or 'else.' hmmmm, they put thoughts into our heads, (some of
us), and we live in an obedient frame of mind, and pray to them, and plead for
our lives, even after death. What if, huh huh huh?
Well, they didn't get me,:cool:

It's getting very late, now after midnight, I think I should go to bed as my next
post might get even more goofy, my mind is playing tricks son me.;-)
night all.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
Sorry to speak off the topic, but I haven't been in here for a while, and it strikes me now that the forum has turned to religious topics in a real big way. Or is it just a feeling that I have? :smile:

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sorry to speak off the topic, but I haven't been in here for a while, and it strikes me now that the forum has turned to religious topics in a real big way. Or is it just a feeling that I have? :smile:

Nope. There are the same amount generally, it is just that there are a few new members that are firing up the topic. It ebbs and flows, just like the political threads.;-)

blablabla

Mar 9, 2009
I'm sorry for the question. I thought this was a christian forum. I put it here because I was thinking about how when bad things happen some people say 'It's God's will. It's all a test. People get killed in the name of religion. It's ok to hate hate people that hold another religion and maybe even invade their country and kill them and I can't believe that any god would justify that. No christian or any follower of a belief should ever kill anyone or support anyone that kills people.
So I was thinking... If god is almighty and does everything for a reason then he also 'invented' different religions fo a reason. Because he wanted people to be intolerant and hateful towards each other??? It was a pretty stupid question. I just wanted to see what religous people would answer and maybe get them thinking about how they might not be thinking

blablabla

Mar 9, 2009
I guess I'm talking about the man with the beard god and any god who would think killing people or hurting people is ok

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm sorry for the question. I thought this was a christian forum. I put it here because I was thinking about how when bad things happen some people say 'It's God's will. It's all a test. People get killed in the name of religion. It's ok to hate hate people that hold another religion and maybe even invade their country and kill them and I can't believe that any god would justify that. No christian or any follower of a belief should ever kill anyone or support anyone that kills people.
So I was thinking... If god is almighty and does everything for a reason then he also 'invented' different religions fo a reason. Because he wanted people to be intolerant and hateful towards each other??? It was a pretty stupid question. I just wanted to see what religous people would answer and maybe get them thinking about how they might not be thinking

Don't be sorry. It is a legitimate question. I have studied quite a few religious, philosophical and spiritual teachings and I find the subject fascinating. Mostly I find the people who believe them more fascinating. The human psyche is fertile place and people have imagined a circus of gods and goddesses who warred with each other over thousands of years and now, as we become more educated, their need to exist becomes less relevant. It is because people are willing to kill each other over their beliefs about gods that they (the gods) need to be retired to Valhalla or wherever they came from.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

There are no elections of any importance coming up so religion is the next best topic to get people's adrenaline flowing.

How's the weather over there in mother Russia?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island

In a time of economic meltdown, when our economies are going to hell in a hurry, people wonder whether there is any meaning in life, because the quest for the dollar isn't providing comfort anymore.
But the real hell is, people are beginning to realize that religions like economic systems are human creations.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
hello blablabla.

Welcome to the forum. An interesting question you pose. It's too bad some can't just either discuss it or move on, and choose instead to take the chance to judge and mock.

Anyway... to address your opening post...

I find that if you buy into the notion of an all knowing, all powerful God, then it would only make sense that he knew there would be many religions, that humanity would be separated by huge geographical divides, social, economical disparities. Thus I agree wholeheartedly that how we react to those differences, how we treat our fellow humans, is just as important a measure of our worth as any other thing religion likes to throw out as important. I wish more people of religion realized that.

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
How's the weather over there in mother Russia?

Hello, Cliffy!
Terrible, actually. We had a few sunny days, and now it's snowing again, and those heavy clouds I got so tired of during the winter. Can't wait for spring to set in, and it takes its time this year.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Hello, Cliffy!
Terrible, actually. We had a few sunny days, and now it's snowing again, and those heavy clouds I got so tired of during the winter. Can't wait for spring to set in, and it takes its time this year.

Can't be any worse than here; right now it's -31ºC!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Are there not other threads devoted to the non-existence of God? To whether or not religion is valid? Seriously, you all are around these forums enough, to have honed enough conversational skill to be able to address the OP, even if only as a hypothetical, or move along and take up the side arguments elsewhere.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Those sorts of arguments are leveled by so many religions against so many topics of human existence. Sexuality is a test, the dinosaurs are a test, alcohol is a test, the desire to look attractive is a test, all desires are a test, other religons are a test.

In the end, I decided, even if some such god that needs to test its subjects exists, it is a gigantic jerk and I would rather suffer damnation than cave in to such childishness from a supposedly omnipotent being. So I embraced humanism, life has the worth given to it by the living.

In that grain, I believe religions are a trial inflicted upon you by people who value your subservience more than your existence.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Are there not other threads devoted to the non-existence of God? To whether or not religion is valid? Seriously, you all are around these forums enough, to have honed enough conversational skill to be able to address the OP, even if only as a hypothetical, or move along and take up the side arguments elsewhere.

I thought this thread was about diversity in religious thought.
Remember, wrath is one of the seven deadlies!
Must the the DSTs.