Richard Dawkin Interviews a Muslim

Mongul

Electoral Member
Dec 1, 2008
hilarity ensues

more or less summary

"9/11 wouldn't have happened if Israel didn't exist."

"Islam should take over the world, and it will."

"Correct yourselves, fix your society, fix your women... You take your women and dress them like *****s on the street."

so now the question is, how prevalent are these views?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is Dawkin also going to interview a Neo-Con and then a Zionist? I think that is the big 3 that pray to a single God.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Why does this feel like the coverage of tornadoes in the south where they manage to find the most trailer trashy person possible to interview?

Saying that he would expect the guy to be moderate and balanced doesn't magically make him so. But Dawkins probably wouldn't be able to sell an interview with a moderate, balanced, accepting Muslim (or any other religion). Dawkins sells division and hatred. It's what he does best (while preaching himself to be peaceful... my ass).

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Why does this feel like the coverage of tornadoes in the south where they manage to find the most trailer trashy person possible to interview?
LOL, my post was right above so I wasn't all that sure who the 'trailer trashy person was.....it's Dawkin right???

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
LOL, my post was right above so I wasn't all that sure who the 'trailer trashy person was.....it's Dawkin right???

lol. No no. I was just talking about, misrepresentation through media. It seems that when you watch the news, the only person willing to jump in front of the camera is always the one with rollers in their hair and no bra on (at 5PM). Religious representation is much the same. The loudest, most lunatic fringe are the ones that get noticed. Like Dawkins... there I'm talking about Dawkins. lol.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Ha, I knew it.
Even still I'm sure he could find some from those two groups that would make this guy seem like the tooth-fairy.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ha, I knew it.
Even still I'm sure he could find some from those two groups that would make this guy seem like the tooth-fairy.

Oh absolutely. Kind of like how you can hunt down Evangelist Christians who spend their time tallying who all they know that's going to hell, and they might seem really bad, until you meet a KKK leader.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I enjoy dawkins's stuff about evolution but when he gets started on religion you can see he has some issues. he's not very scientific in his approach and not sensitive at all. He is as likely to convert a muslem as a muslem is likely to convert him. On religion, they can never understand each other.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I enjoy dawkins's stuff about evolution but when he gets started on religion you can see he has some issues. he's not very scientific in his approach and not sensitive at all. He is as likely to convert a muslem as a muslem is likely to convert him. On religion, they can never understand each other.

On the topic of religion, Dawkins is a zealot no different from Muslim, Christian, or Jewish zealots. He's an Evangelist out to convert the world. I can't stand it from religious people (even my own religion), and I can't stand it from atheists either.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Well, I like Dawkins because, like him, I fear for humanity (yay, all life) because religion is the source of all hatred and violence. That is his mission, to bring peace to a troubled world. I can see how some may perceive his message as being preachy but hey, how else is he going to get the message out there? Just look at the vast number of religious of every stripe that are out there hawking their views and hatred. That is a lot of competition for a single man to go up against. I applaud him for sticking his neck out because I'm sure he knows that sooner or later some religious nut bar is going to lop it off.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Dawkins is just as against belief in those who aren't religious as he is against organized religion though... therein lies the crucial factor imo, that puts him into the evangelist camp. If you don't share 100% of his belief set, then you're wrong.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Well, I like Dawkins because, like him, I fear for humanity (yay, all life) because religion is the source of all hatred and violence. That is his mission, to bring peace to a troubled world. I can see how some may perceive his message as being preachy but hey, how else is he going to get the message out there? Just look at the vast number of religious of every stripe that are out there hawking their views and hatred. That is a lot of competition for a single man to go up against. I applaud him for sticking his neck out because I'm sure he knows that sooner or later some religious nut bar is going to lop it off.
Apparently he has you as his disciple. "religion is the source of all hatred and violence", "some religious nut bar is going to lop it off" if the object of your hate was eliminated who would you then move onto hate? Please don't say nobody because hate just doesn't leave all that easily.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
I am afraid, contrary to all the protestations by the religionists, that Dawkins is right. What we see in this video clips is indeed the true Islam.

True Islam is very very nasty, same as true Christianity. In medieval days they used to follow true Christianity. Thus the medieval witch burnings in Europe (hundreds of thousands of innocent women were burned as witches, what happened in Salem, USA was a minor if melodramatic side show compared to the main action in Europe) was based upon the clear and specific Biblical edict ‘Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live’ (Exodus).

The difference between Christianity and Islam is that Christianity has had the Reformation. Christianity has been humanized by the influence of secularism. Even Fundamentalist Christians today are not true Fundamentalists, they don’t take the Bible literally. Thus even Fundamentalists today would not say that witches should be killed (Exodus) or that homosexuals deserve the death penalty (Leviticus). They give all sorts of justification, that we don’t live under Old Testament law, or that the quotes are taken out of context etc.

But if one were to take the literal interpretation of Bible, that individual will sound fully as nasty as the one in this video clip. Both Christianity and Islam are very nasty religions. The difference is that most Christians do not take the Bible seriously or literally, but at least a significant minority of Muslims do.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
hilarity ensues

more or less summary

"9/11 wouldn't have happened if Israel didn't exist."

"Islam should take over the world, and it will."

"Correct yourselves, fix your society, fix your women... You take your women and dress them like *****s on the street."

so now the question is, how prevalent are these views?

He's a convert, as they say with catholic converts, "More Catholic than the Pope"

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
if the object of your hate was eliminated who would you then move onto hate?

Hatred eh! Let's see, the inquisition, the crusades,the slaughter of untold millions of aboriginal peoples world wide... commenting on this is hatred? It is also known that if someone publicly disagrees with and exposes the violent nature of Islam, they threaten to lop off his head (thus proving his point). I fail to see how you see that as hatred on my part, but then it is a measure that I apply to religion.

There are religious people who do not hate or engage in hateful acts, but organized religion does breed contempt for other beliefs systems and thus, as we have seen, Christianity, Jews and Muslims have been at each others throats for a very long time. Oh, and as I have stated before, I am not an atheist but I can see from the history of religion why so many people are.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Apparently he has you as his disciple. "religion is the source of all hatred and violence", "some religious nut bar is going to lop it off" if the object of your hate was eliminated who would you then move onto hate? Please don't say nobody because hate just doesn't leave all that easily.

Why is it hateful to say you believe religion promotes hatred? That doesn't mean you necessarily hate religion or even religious nutbars for that matter. I think it's similar to how you can love the sinner and hate the sin (it's possible to be indifferent to religion, but dislike the way it is practiced by some).

I'm not religious at all. My views on God are probably closer to Dawkin's than most people. I do think religion promotes division. I wouldn't say "all hatred and violence" because those exist even without religion. I do think there are religious nut bars out there, I just distinguish them from the majority of normal religious people. Almost all my friends are religious, or at least were raised religiously, and none of them are crazy, hateful or violent.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Dawkins is just as against belief in those who aren't religious as he is against organized religion though... therein lies the crucial factor imo, that puts him into the evangelist camp. If you don't share 100% of his belief set, then you're wrong.

The thing is, I don't see how it could be otherwise. If you don't believe in things that can't be scientifically proven, then you can't make exceptions.

The same is true for any religion. If you believe in your religion, then other religions have to be wrong. Otherwise, why be a member of that religion? Why not raise your kids as something else? What would make your belief special, your sacred book the one to follow? I realize many people take a more progressive view, but few religions actually teach that other religions are just as good as theirs.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
but few religions actually teach that other religions are just as good as theirs.

tracy,

The only one I found were the Bahias. They read all the holy books of all the major religions as they see them as a progression. They still have a certain amount of dogma but not as offensive as most. None the less, I stick to my aversion to religion as a vehicle of derision and hatred toward anything no "us".

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I've heard that about the Bahais. My parents were married in the UU church and they actually preach the equality of religions and leave most members to decide their own personal beliefs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
The thing is, I don't see how it could be otherwise. If you don't believe in things that can't be scientifically proven, then you can't make exceptions.

The same is true for any religion. If you believe in your religion, then other religions have to be wrong. Otherwise, why be a member of that religion? Why not raise your kids as something else? What would make your belief special, your sacred book the one to follow? I realize many people take a more progressive view, but few religions actually teach that other religions are just as good as theirs.

If during the course of a conversation an atheist told me that they really truly believe all religions are wrong, I'd have no issue with it, and likely wouldn't even waste my time arguing. One person's beliefs are just that. But if they hunt me down to tell me that all religions are wrong. If they help fund billboards to preach that atheism is the way, then they're not being much more than hypocrites. Evangelist hypocrites.