Would the real Jesus please stand up?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"There was a man who cured the sick, performed miracles, was called the son of God and rose from the grave three days after his death. His name was Apollonius of Tyana..." From The Secret Bible, Rivals Of Jesus.

The Life of Apollonius of Tyana - The complete book! (I'm a nerd, I admit it)

This is yet further evidence that the Jesus myth was just another narrative in a large and well established genera except there is proof Apollonius was real and actually existed.

Apparently also Muhammad is part of that fictional genera too since no actual evidence demonstrates he was real either. (I have not investigated this yet)

I have run into a bunch of Christian apologists who claim Apollonius was an impostor and nowhere near as real as their beloved protagonist. No doubt he is accused of being their favourite boogie man, the devil, amongst themselves out of earshot of sensible people who would laugh at them for it. But to this I would just remind them, that despite what they claim there is even less evidence to support their mythical hero than there is for Apollonius; so I feel I should remind those still embroiled in childish stories that people living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
;-)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There was a guy from Africa that was doing all sorts of Jesus like things, got the RCC really riled up, I'll try to re-find the article as it was fairly recent when it happened.

Scott you have a real affinity for starting threads about Jesus, I'm sure He is noticing that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Jesus was a shaman. Shamanic traditions are world wide and use all the same principles to accomplish the same things. Jesus did nothing unique.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
The Bible doesn't claim Jesus did things that were all that unique. There was a person resurrected by a prophet of God in the OT so even that was not a first time event. I could probably find instances where the other things also happened, even if it was a rarity. What makes Jesus unique is that He did all those things, rather than it being over dozens of different people.
He was collecting an audience for the real show, get your popcorn before it starts.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He was collecting an audience for the real show, get your popcorn before it starts.

Psssst. A "show" is a performance that is scripted. Who is the producer?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If that's the case Paul wrote 80% of the NT scripture not god. Who is to say god's part won't just end up on the editing room floor? Pauls script is far more exciting than god's. Since god hasn't been around for 2008 years to edit Paul there may not be any show to show.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Here, at the asylum, everyone stood up! Pity is, not everyone is wearing clothes.

For comparisons between the Egyptian god Horus and Jesus, click here.

And, for reviews of Tom Harpur's book on this subject, The Pagan Christ, click here.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Here, at the asylum, everyone stood up! Pity is, not everyone is wearing clothes.

For comparisons between the Egyptian god Horus and Jesus, click here.

And, for reviews of Tom Harpur's book on this subject, The Pagan Christ, click here.

Spade, the link between Christ and Horus is well known, well developed. What is less well known is the possible link between Christianity and Hinduism. Christ could be traced back to Vishnu, the second God in the Hindu Trinity.

Also, the concept of Trinity and Second Coming show a striking similarity with the concepts of Trinity and the ‘Tenth Coming’ described in Hinduism. In all likelihood, Christianity is a mish mash of Judaism (of course), Hinduism, Zoroastrianism and the sundry legends floating around at the time, like Horus.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Spade, the link between Christ and Horus is well known, well developed. What is less well known is the possible link between Christianity and Hinduism. Christ could be traced back to Vishnu, the second God in the Hindu Trinity.

During the time Jesus was supposed to be wandering around there was a group of Buddhist monks that set up camp in the same area. Caesar's Messiah (?). To confirm a connection there are variations of the Jesus myth which tell of Jesus wandering India and Tibet. It is highly likely then, if any of this is true, that some of the Jesus myth was born from them too.