Religion Makes People Helpful And Generous

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Religion Makes People Helpful And Generous -- Under Certain Conditions

ScienceDaily (Oct. 3, 2008) — Belief in God encourages people to be helpful, honest and generous, but only under certain psychological conditions, according to University of British Columbia researchers who analyzed the past three decades of social science research.

Religious people are more likely than the non-religious to engage in prosocial behaviouracts that benefit others at a personal cost – when it enhances the individual's reputation or when religious thoughts are freshly activated in the person's mind, say UBC social psychologists Ara Norenzayan and Azim Shariff

Their paper "The Origin and Evolution of Religious Prosociality" appears in the October 3, 2008 issue of the journal Science.
The two-part paper first reviews data from anthropology, sociology, psychology and economics. Norenzayan and Shariff then go on to explore how religion, by encouraging cooperation, became a factor in making possible the rise of large and stable societies made of genetically unrelated individuals.

To date, says Norenzayan, the public debate whether religion fosters cooperation and trust has largely been driven by opinion and anecdote.

"We wanted to look at the hard scientific evidence," says Norenzayan, an associate professor in the Dept. of Psychology.

The investigators found complementary results across the disciplines:
  • Empirical data within anthropology suggests there is more cooperation among religious societies than the non-religious, especially when group survival is under threat
  • Economic experiments indicate that religiosity increases levels of trust among participants
  • Psychology experiments show that thoughts of an omniscient, morally concerned God reduce levels of cheating and selfish behaviour
"This type of religiously-motivated 'virtuous' behaviour has likely played a vital social role throughout history," says Shariff, a Psychology PhD student.

Shariff adds, "One reason we now have large, cooperative societies may be that some aspects of religion – such as outsourcing costly social policing duties to all-powerful Gods – made societies work more cooperatively in the past."

Across cultures and through time, observe the authors, the notion of an all-powerful, morally concerned "Big God" usually begat "Big groups" –large-scale, stable societies that successfully passed on their cultural beliefs.

The study also points out that in today's world religion has no monopoly on kind and generous behaviour. In many findings, non-believers acted as prosocially as believers. The last several hundred years has seen the rise of non-religious institutional mechanisms that include effective policing, courts and social surveillance.

"Some of the most cooperative modern societies are also the most secular," says Norenzayan. "People have found other ways to be cooperative – without God."

Source Also in the October 3 issue of Science where there is a much more in depth analysis of the data.

It seems that religious belief was important to our species in helping establish civilization. Now the next step is to find ways to advance without religion.

I forget who said herding atheists is like trying to herd cats (I think it was Dawkins) but apparently if we are to advance we need to find methods of unifying ourselves (I am including agnostics in this definition, maybe even very moderate religious people). Perhaps there is some kind of genetic disposition toward religiosity that could be somehow exploited to this end. I was taken with Socrates explanation of Greek polytheism and saw in it just such a mechanism. This may explain why the Greeks were so brilliant.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
The true religion is the religion of God and the monotheism, not the religion of the idols and the association.It is the religion of the truth and God's commandments, not the religion of myths and inherited traditions.This is in the Quran 3: 83أَفَغَيْرَ دِينِ اللّهِ يَبْغُونَ وَلَهُ أَسْلَمَ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ طَوْعًا وَكَرْهًا وَإِلَيْهِ يُرْجَعُونَThe explanation:(What [religion] other than God's religion is that these [Jews and Christians] crave, when to Him is resigned [and yielded] whosoever is in the heavens and the earth [: the planets including the earth], willingly or loath, and to His [judgment] shall they return [after death]!?)eanassirhttp://man-after-death.741.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What the article fails to address in my view, is whether or not those findings are correlative.

I could argue easily that social, helpful people who are community minded, are more likely to decide to attend large social gatherings, and thus, be members of churches, while less social, less community minded individuals are more likely to feel uncomfortable in the large gatherings that religion has to offer, and by association feel uncomfortable with the notion of religion in general.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Eanassir, I support your right to choose your religion. But I have a problem if you expect or demand that infidels adopt your religion. I expect all Canadians deomonstrate tolerant and respect for other religions including those you percieve to be based on myths and inherited traditions.

I am agnostic and secular, yet I want my tax dollars to help build Mosques, Temples, Churches... I believe all religions have beneficial effects on the individual and society.

But I have a problem when people with strong religious beliefs cross certain boundaries. Religious based violence, discrimination and intolerance for example cross that line. Have respect. You might believe that your religion is the one true religion, but don't expect that everyone will share your beliefs. Even the Quran recognizes that individuals are free to choose their path.

BTW, I am glad you post here. Everyone benefits when you share your perspective with us.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Eanassir, thanks for clearing that up. Keep up your e-jihad against these false idols and whatnot

I know you are just being funny. I laugh at a lot of your posts and admire your wit. But try to be respectful. Some people are touchy about their beliefs. I want E to continue posting here and I'm ok if he keeps trying to educate us infidels. The more viewpoints expressed on this forum, the more interesting it becomes for me.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
What the article fails to address in my view, is whether or not those findings are correlative.

That's always a problem with sociology. I think they do a very good job considering but it is very difficult if not impossible to apply the scientific method to groups of people.

I just liked this article because it gave a plausible explanation as to why religion exists at all and why people might feel so drawn to it.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
The true religion is the religion of God and the monotheism, not the religion of the idols and the association.It is the religion of the truth and God's commandments, not the religion of myths and inherited traditions.This is in the Quran 3: 83أَفَغَيْرَ دِينِ اللّهِ يَبْغُونَ وَلَهُ أَسْلَمَ مَن فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالأَرْضِ طَوْعًا وَكَرْهًا وَإِلَيْهِ يُرْجَعُونَThe explanation:(What [religion] other than God's religion is that these [Jews and Christians] crave, when to Him is resigned [and yielded] whosoever is in the heavens and the earth [: the planets including the earth], willingly or loath, and to His [judgment] shall they return [after death]!?)eanassirhttp://man-after-death.741.com

I can build an idol out of clay right now, pray to it, and scientifically speaking in real world terms my prayers would be as likely as yours to be answered. In point of fact I could pray to my car, my dog, your god or not bother at all and the chances of my prayers being answered wouldn't increase even slightly. That's just the fact.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I know you are just being funny. I laugh at a lot of your posts and admire your wit. But try to be respectful. Some people are touchy about their beliefs. I want E to continue posting here and I'm ok if he keeps trying to educate us infidels. The more viewpoints expressed on this forum, the more interesting it becomes for me.

A jihad isn't necessarily violent though, correct?

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Eanassir, thanks for clearing that up. Keep up your e-jihad against these false idols and whatnot

DurkaDurka; some of these atheists -- put the poison in the honey -- this is a parable.

But don't worry, Durka :smile: people here are almost educated, and the difference between the worship of stone idols and totams on one side and on the other side the worship of God the Creator is evident and obvious. All the apostles sent by God from the time of Adam were against the idolatry and atheism.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007

I could argue easily that social, helpful people who are community minded, are more likely to decide to attend large social gatherings, and thus, be members of churches, while less social, less community minded individuals are more likely to feel uncomfortable in the large gatherings that religion has to offer, and by association feel uncomfortable with the notion of religion in general.

Religion has two modes of establishment and spread:
1- The logic and reason basis: where relatively little number of people follow.
2 - The emotional factor: where almost all people adopt.

Religious and political leaders [and Satan] know the importance of the emotional factor in stirring the individual and society and binding people to the cause of the religion.

Most people follow the religion of their fathers even if it is the worshipping of some stone that does not understand anything.

The apostles of God opposed the latter way: [according to the words of Jesus: following their traditions rather than the Commandments of God.]

In the Quran, this meaning is also obviously evident in many ayat, like this aya 2: 170

وَإِذَا قِيلَ لَهُمُ اتَّبِعُوا مَا أَنزَلَ اللّهُ قَالُواْ بَلْ نَتَّبِعُ مَا أَلْفَيْنَا عَلَيْهِ آبَاءنَا أَوَلَوْ كَانَ آبَاؤُهُمْ لاَ يَعْقِلُونَ شَيْئاً وَلاَ يَهْتَدُونَ

The explanation:
(When it is said to them [: the pagan Arab], 'Follow that [Quran] which God has revealed,'
they say, 'No, we will follow such [religion and doctrines] as we found our fathers [holding]'
What! Eventhough their fathers were completely unreasonable and had no guidance?
[Had they had any reason and logic, they would not have worshipped the stones] )

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
1- The logic and reason basis: where relatively little number of people follow.

Logic and reason are the enemies of religion because they dispel it and demonstrate it to be childish superstition. Logic and reason can do this because religion is a human invention and from the OP apparently one with an evolutionary makeup.

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
Eanassir, I support your right to choose your religion. But I have a problem if you expect or demand that infidels adopt your religion. I expect all Canadians deomonstrate tolerant and respect for other religions including those you percieve to be based on myths and inherited traditions.

I am agnostic and secular, yet I want my tax dollars to help build Mosques, Temples, Churches... I believe all religions have beneficial effects on the individual and society.

But I have a problem when people with strong religious beliefs cross certain boundaries. Religious based violence, discrimination and intolerance for example cross that line. Have respect. You might believe that your religion is the one true religion, but don't expect that everyone will share your beliefs. Even the Quran recognizes that individuals are free to choose their path.

BTW, I am glad you post here. Everyone benefits when you share your perspective with us.

There is no compulsion in the religion.
Some of the Quraish tribesmen said to Mohammed: "We know that you are truthful; but we are afraid of Abu Jahl [your adversary, and he is a powerful man] lest he should torture us if we believe in God as One God, and in you as His apostle and servant!"
So this aya 2: 256 was revealed:

لاَ إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ فَمَنْ يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىَ لاَ انفِصَامَ لَهَا وَاللّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

The explanation:
([There can be] no compulsion in religion [: none can compel you to be unbelievers;]
the correct way [of the Islam] has been made distinct from the error [of the association and idolatry.]

And anyone [of you] rejects [Abu-Jahl] the tyrant, and believes in God [Alone, ascribing no associates to Him,]
has indeed grasped a firm handhold [of the ship] which is not detachable, [so he will not be drowned and will be safe of Hell if he follows the religion of the Islam.]

God is All-Hearing [of your words], All-Knowing [of your intentions, O unbelievers!] )

eanassir

Time Out
Jul 26, 2007
That's always a problem with sociology. I think they do a very good job considering but it is very difficult if not impossible to apply the scientific method to groups of people.

I just liked this article because it gave a plausible explanation as to why religion exists at all and why people might feel so drawn to it.

The religion is the doctrine; and can any man be without any doctrine about God and the next afterlife; these are essential,
although the atheist ignores it, and many try to suggest to others that the religion is an invention of the ancient people for some psychological and some other factors.

Moreover, they mix the religion of the idolatry and associating others with God on one hand with the pure monotheism and worshipping God alone, while such mixing is obviously wrong.

In other words: to worship God alone is the true religion of God taught by all the apostles of God; as in the Quran 21: 25
وَمَا أَرْسَلْنَا مِن قَبْلِكَ مِن رَّسُولٍ إِلَّا نُوحِي إِلَيْهِ أَنَّهُ لَا إِلَهَ إِلَّا أَنَا فَاعْبُدُونِ
The explanation:
(We never sent any messenger [to his people] before you [Mohammed], unless We revealed to him [saying]:
"There is no god [in the universe] but I [: God]; so [O people] serve Me [alone.]")

eanassir
http://man-after-death.741.com

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
With all respect bud, this is one bone I gotta pick. Now, I'm not talking about religious people, or religious fanatics. (I know they can be hypocritical as well.) I wanna turn the tables and talk about atheism.

Your opinion does matter and a great deal too. I'm sure lists of impressive experts who believe in god can be found too and it is for this reason an appeal to authority is no protection from the god fallacy. Each person must learn to reason on their own and come to their own decision. An expert in reason is probably the best and maybe only true authority on this matter as they can help people sort it out for themselves.
On one hand, you half heartily say there are intelligent people who believe in God. Each person must use his own reason, and make their own decision. --"It's okay young man if you believe in a God, we still like you.....yes, yes, we know your smart......"

Then on the other hand.....

It seems that religious belief was important to our species in helping establish civilization. Now the next step is to find ways to advance without religion.

I forget who said herding atheists is like trying to herd cats (I think it was Dawkins) but apparently if we are to advance we need to find methods of unifying ourselves (I am including agnostics in this definition, maybe even very moderate religious people). Perhaps there is some kind of genetic disposition toward religiosity that could be somehow exploited to this end. I was taken with Socrates explanation of Greek polytheism and saw in it just such a mechanism. This may explain why the Greeks were so brilliant.

You wish to do away with that level of reasoning, or that way of thinking, whatever....
(like we're lower than you) Implying that your view is absolutely correct. That's something religious fanatics want.

If you truly believe that a person should use their reason and logic to determine the big answers, then you need to realize that all conclusions involve making an interpretation, including yours. And in order for you know that my interpretation is objectively wrong, you would have to know what is objectively right. Here's the kicker: a lot of atheists don't even want to acknowledge that their is an objective answer! Is there? What is the objective interpretation? One one view can be right.

Now I gotta admit, there's a lot of stupid religious people out there. Me personally, I believe you and me have the absolute right to believe whatever we want, respectfully. To say things that imply that your view should be advanced in the world, and mine stamped out, disappoints me. The only way we can take the great debate to the next level, is by first respecting each other.

I read your post on how you have reflex to religion, based on dealings in your past. The actions of humans have nothing to do with what is the correct interpretation. I've met some atheists that are really nice, and I consider them good friends. I've also met some atheists who were real jerks. It doesn't mean that atheism isn't true.

Please don't be too harsh on me....lol.......

Last edited:

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
I can build an idol out of clay right now, pray to it, and scientifically speaking in real world terms my prayers would be as likely as yours to be answered. In point of fact I could pray to my car, my dog, your god or not bother at all and the chances of my prayers being answered wouldn't increase even slightly. That's just the fact.

It' not a fact. Just an assertion.