Lucky to be Alive

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Lucky to be alive.

How many times have you heard people say this when they have a near miss incident? It was a news story about a car crash that recently made my mind start churning. The broadcaster said 'we'll be talking with the man who survived a horrible car crash on the weekend, and says he's lucky to be alive.' It struck me funny. Considering all of the laws, all of the safety features, airbags, crumple zones, seat belts.... can you call it 'luck'? Or is it human ingenuity? Is a near miss incident the biggest stroke of luck you've had?

Or is the fact that YOUR dna, of all the possible combinations that your parents could have come up with, is the set that ended up embedding in your mother's uterus? And managed to hold on? And develop normally? And survive, given the frail nature of our bodies?

Or is it the fact that humanity has even come to exist at all in the first place? That Earth is hospitable, that these absurd bags of flesh managed to evolve into a sentient, walking, talking, being?

Given the sheer impossibility of our existence, a near miss accident is far from the only thing that should drive home to you how lucky you are to be alive. It's too bad we don't have that appreciation on a daily basis.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It took me almost an hour and a half to find this video: I would say somebody is lucky to be alive, or at least lucky to not be badly hurt. Karma? Click on the myspace link

http://tinyurl.com/5a7esm

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
...... It's too bad we don't have that appreciation on a daily basis.

Karrie - I think many if not all of us would agree upon a bit of reflection.

Unfortunately the business and busy-ness of life tends to shroud our appreciation. Then something will happen to prod the fragility of human life to the forefront of our attention and we are reminded once again to stop for a moment.... and just bask in appreciation for everything that could change in the blink of an eye.

Luck or ingenuity? Sometimes one, sometimes the other, sometimes a bit of both.

Reactions: karrie

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
This whole topic hinges on our perception of time and whether it actually functions the way we perceive it. IMO.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This whole topic hinges on our perception of time and whether it actually functions the way we perceive it. IMO.

Perhaps not just perception of time, perhaps our perception of our selves factors in too. Our understanding of our environment, and the conclusions our sometimes flawed perceptions reach.