Russia to declare Jehovah's Witnesses an extremist group

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Russia's justice ministry has filed a lawsuit with its supreme court to declare the national headquarters of the country's Jehovah’s Witnesses an extremist organization.

The legal filing is noted on the court's website with no date given for legal action. The group's administrative center in Russia is located about 25 miles northwest of St. Petersburg.

The press office for the Russian branch of the
religion says on its website that such a declaration, if successful, would “entail disastrous consequences for freedom of religion in Russia" and directly affect about 175,000 followers at more than 2,000 congregations in the country.

"Extremism is deeply alien to the Bible-based beliefs and morality of Jehovah's Witnesses," the statement said. "Persecution of the faithful for peaceful anti-extremism legislation is built on frank fraud, incompetent individual 'experts' and, as a result, a miscarriage of justice."

The Jehovah's Witnesses first legally registered as a religious group in Russia in 1991 and re-registered in 1999, according to the organization's international website.

For almost two decades, however, Russian prosecutors in various localities have periodically sought to outlaw or curb the group, charging it is a cult that destroys families, fosters hatred and threatens lives.

In response to the latest pressure, Vasily Kalin, chairman of the religious group's steering committee, said members simply want to "peacefully worship their God," according to the press office.

"Unfortunately, after more than 100 years in power, Russia violates its own legislation that guarantees us that right," he said. "In Stalin's time, when I was a child, the whole family was deported to Siberia only because we were Jehovah's Witnesses. It's a shame and sad that my children and grandchildren will be faced with something like that. "

Jehovah's Witnesses have come under growing pressure from Russian authorities in recent years, including a ban on distribution of church literature that authorities say violates anti-extremism laws.

Russia seeks to declare Jehovah's Witnesses an extremist group

selfsame

Time Out
Jul 13, 2015
Why are most people, including most readers and members here, against Jehovah Witnesses?
Although I am not one of them, but that's because they are best among Christians, may be.

That is if they admit God is One: not three, and that Jesus is His servant and messenger: not His son neither is he God Himself ... or else: they are like the others.

But I heard it from Abu Abd-Allah that there is a sect among Christians: Jehovah Witnesses, they admit God is One and Jesus is His servant not His son.

http://www.quran-ayat.com/universe/index.htm#First_Commandment
quran-ayat.com/universe/index.htm#First_Commandment

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Russia should smarten up and ban all Muslims from Russia. They are the real threat to Russia.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
JW'S won't hurt anyone. Not like extremist Muslims. They may interrupt your Sunday football game with a visit but that's about it,

Actullly a couple of times I had a nice 22 yr old JW babe come to my door, I was about to invite her in so we can have some nice religious discussion on my sofa with soft religious music in the background, then I noticed the old bag in the background standing and waiting for her on the sidewalk,,,,,,,what a let down!!!

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
True that. I've never had a JW bang on my door with a severed head in his hands.

Yeah, but those goddam Methodists, ...

Actullly a couple of times I had a nice 22 yr old JW babe come to my door, I was about to invite her in so we can have some nice religious discussion on my sofa with soft religious music in the background, then I noticed the old bag in the background standing and waiting for her on the sidewalk,,,,,,,what a let down!!!

Too bad, you didn't get the chance to chain her up in the cellar like the others, eh?