Why religion is not just scientifically, but morally wrong

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Religion is capable of superseding morality, legality and basic decency – and this is why I believe it is so dangerous to us as a species and corrosive as a philosophical, let alone legal, framework.

Theists claim to know not just the name, gender, and appearance of the entity that birthed the universe, but also its (usually his) opinion on what you should eat, when and in which direction you should pray, who should be burned at the stake, who should be groveled to, and who you should sleep with and how. Those who so humbly claim to know the mind of god justify laws, social expectations, wars and executions on this very clairvoyance. Throughout the past and today, organized religion has stood in ferocious defiance of science and social progress at every turn, from evolution to stem cell research to woman and gay rights. An incredible certainty is imparted through religion, unlike any other moral system the religious are so intensely sure in beliefs that revel in their own lack of evidence.

Religion, unlike any other modern philosophy, permits its believers to supersede ethics and veto common sense, with the confidence and conceit only the faithful are capable of mustering.

The God of the old testament revels in genocide and ethnic cleansing, contrasted by the ever praised enlightening god of the new testament, a book which unlike its more direct counterpart mandates the existence of hell – an idea whose nefariousness is only tempered by habituation. The new testament describes to us a universe where not only is your every action, word and thought judged by a supreme, supernatural dictator, but this authoritarian existence can never be escaped, even through death.

Take Sharia, the legal framework informing much Islamic tradition – under these laws, non-Muslims, women and minorities are all treated as lesser than Muslim males, and automatically suffer harsher punishment and longer sentencing. Furthermore Islamic majority theocracies are infamous for human rights abuses and a general lack of concern for female, let alone homosexual rights. The journal Free Inquiry 2009 succinctly encapsulates modern Islam’s moral shortcomings which include “legal inequality of women, the suppression of political dissent, the curtailment of free expression, [and] the persecution of ethnic minorities and religious dissenters”. In short, Islam stands in solidarity with its theological counterparts – a stance shrouded by a patina of charity and ideological consolation, but a stance that inherently opposes human decency and logic.

Religion, it appears, is uniquely incapable of, on the macro level, standing as a pluralist, humanitarian moral framework

https://gamesortheory.com/2017/02/22/on-religion/

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Religion is only morally wrong insofar as it is capable of producing net harm.

All religions have evolved over time and while there are some glaringly obvious problems with some of them, their continued existence actually relies on evolving to ensure our mutual benefit.

Christianity now isn't the same as it was during the middle ages, just as an example.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Religion is only morally wrong insofar as it is capable of producing net harm.

All religions have evolved over time and while there are some glaringly obvious problems with some of them, their continued existence actually relies on evolving to ensure our mutual benefit.

Christianity now isn't the same as it was during the middle ages, just as an example.
Please explain how Christianity is different now then the middle ages ? Now please explain how Islam is different now then the middle ages . I will not await your sagacious reply with baited breath .

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
We'll tell you what god wants
and you're gonna like it
;)
...and on that note: until moral improves...beatings will continue

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Please explain how Christianity is different now then the middle ages ? Now please explain how Islam is different now then the middle ages . I will not await your sagacious reply with baited breath .
The masses that are being duped is larger and getting worse as time goes on if there is a difference between 'flock' and sheeple'. Flock defines a group that has time to stop and ask questions, sheeple are told one versions and the facts not lining up is of little concern.
Today a Christian has the ability to learn about God at home at a speed that suits him rather than Churches being the only way to gather and learn about God. One NT verse even promotes that when just two are gathered and begin to talk about God that Christ is listening in. The quotes in the 4 Gospels are as close as we can get to hearing the instructions that will help us get through the closing verses of the events that began with Peter teaching Gentiles in Acts:10.

Christians also have a book that is pretty detailed as far as the timeline and the sequence of events goes in the period that covers the 3 years before Jesus returns. (as Christ which is Jesus in the same glorified body He was in for the 40 days on earth after the cross.) The biggest difference is the dead come back to life just like Jesus did, If that is not in the plan then God from the Bible is not behind events. Events today would be more inline with the UN moving to Jerusalem and suddenly it comes up with resolutions that are followed. That isn't entirely all bad news for most of the people that Christians are supposed to be taking care of so judgment has to be in hindsight rather than on perceived fears.

For myself I would say we are in the part that is 'many are running around' promoting things that aren't the path they promise to be. Distraction and behind the scenes manipulation is a normal day rather than being something 'special'. That would start with 30 days for the sealing of the 144,000 and the two witnesses an a number of repented Gentiles and then when the trumps start to sound the first 4 happen at the rate of 1 per day and at the end of the 4th day the world has gone into a state of Martial Law. Then things go from bad to worse once the 5th trump sounds. If you can pick out that day you will be able to determine when the day of return is as 1260 days later Christ claims the earth as belonging to the Kingdom of God. If Satan and Co. are supposed to be fooling mankind into thinking it is the return then something pretty impressive must be going on that is greater than what is 'normal'.
A rescue from ourselves basically and then a period of prosperity if you will. and then, . . . . . .??

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
We'll tell you what god wants
and you're gonna like it
;)
...and on that note: until moral improves...beatings will continue
Interesting that you use the term 'will continue' as they have been going on so long they will feel a lot better than they normally would if they had never come along in the first place. Making a person thirsty so he will buy water from you is not an honest business practice. The Mark of the Beast is basically the 'middleman ' in a business transaction who gets rich while contributing nothing of any real value.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Please explain how Christianity is different now then the middle ages ?

Are you high?

We're no longer burning 'witches' at the stake for one.

Now please explain how Islam is different now then the middle ages . I will not await your sagacious reply with baited breath .

Islam is also less violent, especially in western states.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
Not always. When a religion provides meals for the homeless unconditionally it is not morally wrong.

I have worked with many religious institutions providing food for the poor or homeless... rarely has it been unconditionally... I mean extremely rarely... I thought I had one example where it was... but nope...Christians always have conditions

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I have worked with many religious institutions providing food for the poor or homeless... rarely has it been unconditionally... I mean extremely rarely... I thought I had one example where it was... but nope...Christians always have conditions
Hate to break it to you, MJ, but Christianity IS a condition.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
And just what other religious organization provides this help in any meangful way besides the Christians??

Muzzies are all busy killing and screwing, no time to help anybody, and they certainly will not help Christians in any form, poor, dieing etc etc.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Religions are just a group of people that get together and make a list of duz and duzenduzs based on completely unscientific reasons. Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Trumpism, Mormonism. It's all silly

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And just what other religious organization provides this help in any meangful way besides the Christians??

Muzzies are all busy killing and screwing, no time to help anybody, and they certainly will not help Christians in any form, poor, dieing etc etc.
You have an odd, and amazingly narrow, view of Islam.

The fact that you apparently think Islam and Christianity are the only two religions is amusing, though.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
You have an odd, and amazingly narrow, view of Islam.

The fact that you apparently think Islam and Christianity are the only two religions is amusing, though.
No, your the one with a narrow view of a hateful and violent religion.

Your narrow mind should be advised its mostly all muzzies that are coming across the border from the US, AND you only have to look to see its all bands of muzzies who are walking across Europe trying to get to Christian countries to be looked after.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Tell that to all those waiting for a sandwich from the Sisters of Charity in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside .
Here is your sandwich soup and coffee , no questions asked no sermons offered .

Any Sikh temple offers food for any and all that arrive regardless of affiliation .

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, your the one with a narrow view of a hateful and violent religion.
Ooo. . . clever comeback.

Your narrow mind should be advised its mostly all muzzies that are coming across the border from the US, AND you only have to look to see its all bands of muzzies who are walking across Europe trying to get to Christian countries to be looked after.
Yeah, a small fraction of 1% of the Muslims in the world. You should be a pollster for Trump.